Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm a little bit worried now that my friends have decided we have to go out for New Years Eve, despite the fact I'm only really prepared for a night in.

While usually I don't have a problem with going out to clubs, the past three or so times I've been on a night out I've had a panic attack. I really want to get back into the swing of things and feel better about being out and drinking with friends but I'm worried I'm going to ruin New Years for myself and my friends.

I don't think it's alcohol that's a problem, considering I'm totally up for getting drunk in my own home, but the idea of being around people in these sort of environments lately just sets me on edge. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Have a party at home by yourself. Decide what you want on TV, or get suitable films in + decent booze + decent nibbles.

When they found out you enjoyed your own company, they'll actually be jealous.

ReputationRep:
    Where is it? Is it a place you're used to? Will you be moving from bar to bar? How many friends are there? If I had to go out for new years I would most likely fake illness or start crying about it. I'm so anxious and paranoid that walking into uni library is impossible alone, can't imagine anything worse than going out for NYE.

ReputationRep:
    NYE is going to be like 3x as packed as your average friday night so I don't think it'd be the best of nights

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeceitfulDove)
    Where is it? Is it a place you're used to? Will you be moving from bar to bar? How many friends are there? If I had to go out for new years I would most likely fake illness or start crying about it. I'm so anxious and paranoid that walking into uni library is impossible alone, can't imagine anything worse than going out for NYE.
    Wow. I think you have anxiety disorder and sound paranoid.sorry..but that's what it seems like

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgecake22)
    Wow. I think you have anxiety disorder and sound paranoid.sorry..but that's what it seems like

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgecake22)
    To a party animal, it sounds that way.

To those of us who don't like being in crowds, unable to hear, packed in, it is not fun.

Some people get a buzz from being vulnerable and taking risks and see it as excitement. Great! Go enjoy!

Some people would rather stay home with friends, or chatting online, or even alone, having a quieter time. That is not a mental illness.

ReputationRep:
    I know
    Not too anxious to ut your display picture up. I think you have a fear of being judged? ! That's part of your anxiety

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsLovett112)
    I'm a little bit worried now that my friends have decided we have to go out for New Years Eve, despite the fact I'm only really prepared for a night in.

While usually I don't have a problem with going out to clubs, the past three or so times I've been on a night out I've had a panic attack. I really want to get back into the swing of things and feel better about being out and drinking with friends but I'm worried I'm going to ruin New Years for myself and my friends.

I don't think it's alcohol that's a problem, considering I'm totally up for getting drunk in my own home, but the idea of being around people in these sort of environments lately just sets me on edge. Any advice?
    Do your friends know? Something that may help could be having one (calm and not too drunk ) come outside with you for a few mins if you start feeling a bit uncomfortable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    To a party animal, it sounds that way.

To those of us who don't like being in crowds, unable to hear, packed in, it is not fun.

Some people get a buzz from being vulnerable and taking risks and see it as excitement. Great! Go enjoy!

Some people would rather stay home with friends, or chatting online, or even alone, having a quieter time. That is not a mental illness.
    The other person just agreed to it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd say stay at home and entertain yourself there, but your friends might feel rejected and ***** about you ...

I sort of experience a similar feeling to walking around uni alone and going out. How do you deal with it if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I sort of experience a similar feeling to walking around uni alone and going out. How do you deal with it if you don't mind me asking?
    I don't really. I don't go to the library or the canteen and I don't go out at night I'm fine around the rest of uni it's just the library and restaurant I can't do :dontknow:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 31, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.