Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

why are swear words still taboo Watch

ReputationRep:
    I mean, I'm allowed to say "poo" but not "****"? it's the same concept, but one word for it starts with a "sh" instead of a "p"
    I mean, is the concept of **** so bad that it's still that bad/taboo? sex isn't *that* "disgusting", is it? isn't that reason a lot of "swear words" are based on sex/sex organs?
    surely the most disgusting things in the word, e.g. in my opinion, genocide or dictatorships, should be swear words? I mean, why isn't "holocaust" a naughty word? why isn't "killing fields" or "nazis" even worse than sexual words?

and another thing!
    why is it so wrong to swear in front of kids? are they honestly going to know that the f word means to have sex? and really, why would it be so wrong for a kid to know about sex? what are they going to do, rape someone? does that mean if they know about torture, they'll start torturing people? I don't know, this whole stuff seems so weird from my perspective

ReputationRep:
    Swearing is far from a taboo is modern society. Everybody swears.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. If anything the F word is used too much and people are using it to excuse their poor English. Rather than use an adjective or verb they just say F this or F that. It's tragic.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it when they cya next Tuesday on TV its censored?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Swearing is far from a taboo is modern society. Everybody swears.
    not if you do it among children or old people etc

ReputationRep:
    I think there's a difference between using a word in it's actual meaning, or as an intensifier or a to show displeasure or whatever.

If I stepped in a piece of dogsh*t in the street, I would say so. I don't see the difference between that and saying, "I trod in some dog poo", except one seems more childish. On the other hand, I can see why "That is ****ing *******s you ****ing ****" could be seen as a rude sentence.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately there are too many people who are out to protect their little darling snotbag from realising that life is X-rated. I'm all for not coming down hard on someones' childhood, but dropping an f-bomb when they're around is hardly comparable to making them watch Irreversible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    I mean, I'm allowed to say "poo" but not "****"? it's the same concept, but one word for it starts with a "sh" instead of a "p"
    I mean, is the concept of **** so bad that it's still that bad/taboo? sex isn't *that* "disgusting", is it? isn't that reason a lot of "swear words" are based on sex/sex organs?
    surely the most disgusting things in the word, e.g. in my opinion, genocide or dictatorships, should be swear words? I mean, why isn't "holocaust" a naughty word? why isn't "killing fields" or "nazis" even worse than sexual words?

and another thing!
    why is it so wrong to swear in front of kids? are they honestly going to know that the f word means to have sex? and really, why would it be so wrong for a kid to know about sex? what are they going to do, rape someone? does that mean if they know about torture, they'll start torturing people? I don't know, this whole stuff seems so weird from my perspective
    On a linguistic level, swear words are generally considered to be words concerning taboo subjects, such as sex or race for example. People use them to show they are in a state of heightened emotional stress or feeling, and hence are willing to overcome such sociatal constraints that taboos place on people, and say whatever expletive they want to say. That is, you're so annoyed about something that you're willing to say it's 'sh*t' even if that is considered rude.

Why don't we say swear words in front of kids? Well 2 reasons I guess. One, they'll probably repeat the word which will look bad on the parents, and 2 the subjects are probably inappropriate for kids (I mean your just as unlikely to start talking to a child about sex as you are about f*cking' or whatever the relevant expletive is). Why are they inappropriate? Well, we like to preserve the innocence of childhood (that is one reason that we consider paedophilia so wrong) and generally we like to shield children from some of the nastier parts of the world like violence and evil. Why is sex so wrong? Of course it's probably not a problem when phrased in terms of the birds and the bees, but there are also lots of nastier sides to sex such as rape and sexual violence which are probably best being shielded from kids.

So, why isn't 'holocaust' or 'nazi' considered a swear word? Well, it depends on the culture - I'm sure holocaust would be more of a taboo subject in Germany than in england. This is probably because when we talk about the holocaust we are not going against the cultural norm (i.e. saying it was a good thing, which would be a taboo subject). This is the same for other subject too, it would seem. For example, in polite or academic company it would not be too odd to talk about racism as an abstract idea or about how we could reduce rates of sexual violence (again these are not going against the social norm of the sex itself being a taboo subject, here we are merely talking about issues around it or against a negative idea such as rape). However, it would be a 'swear word' if you talked about 'n*ggers' or about 'f*cking your girlfriend' because you are a) directly talking about the taboo subject, and b) going against the social norm (i.e. 'positive' language to racism).

Phew!

ReputationRep:
    I love it when people get offended by swearing, as if the words themselves have some intrinsic harm attached to them. It's something people choose to be offended by.

Makes me laugh that people are more horrified by a person uttering f*** in front of their sprog than they are by war, famine and the destruction of the planet. Who cares? Kids will grow up and swear like the rest of us eventually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)

and another thing!

Because society says they are. boom!

ReputationRep:
    Because that's kind of their point. If they weren't taboo they wouldn't be swear words.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.