Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It posted an advertisement in my school in my country, i want to know is warwich really that good?

Yes, Warwick is a very good university.

You can go here for more opinions and information straight from the student http://thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=24

What did the advert say?

I would say Warwick is not a bad university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celeritas)
    I would say Warwick is not a bad university.
    Damned by faint praise

(Original post by DaintyDuck!)
    Hello, I see you are from China. Well, I am very biased as I have just started at The University of Warwick. It has always been in the top 10 in university league tables since it was started up in the 1960s (apparently and if league tables mean anything). Warwick has outstanding reputation for Economics, and its Business school is top notch. It is also one of the best universities for Maths outside of Cambridge. Other than that most of its departments have good -> excellent research.

I study History, I think Warwick is 5th for this, or something like that, and the teaching is excellent. The university as a whole is quite prestigious, average Warwicker has AAB grades.
    League tables within the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously.

ReputationRep:
    Student Union sucks, everything else is cool.

ReputationRep:
    haha union sucks... and according to the boar... less than 10% of the student pop regularly use the art centre... hum..

ReputationRep:
    For me it's only after Oxford Cam IC and before Edinburgh.
    Also it's relatively cheaper for chinese students on tution and fees.

ReputationRep:
    I think its a fantastic uni. Its always top 10 (in the UK yes, but the top 10 world unis are completely biased towards America).

Its a damn good university

ReputationRep:
    And your point is?

All the top world uni tables are completely biased towards the heavily over-funded American universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chichiyihao)
    It posted an advertisement in my school in my country, i want to know is warwich really that good?
    Well most people in China don't really know anything else other than Oxbridge and Imperial...But Warwick is definitely a good university

ReputationRep:
    Are you kidding? - it's brilliant. I love it.

(Original post by fatyeung)
    haha union sucks... and according to the boar... less than 10% of the student pop regularly use the art centre... hum..
    Agreed about the union. Warwick is a lovely university. Oh and the arts centre is wonderful, I was there 4 times last week so I guess I am in the less than 10%

ReputationRep:
    Warwick is a great uni with a good reputation! Why don't you visit the website www2.warwick.ac.uk and order a prospectus or look at the online one because Im sure that'll answer some of ur qu's!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happydinosaur)
    Agreed about the union. Warwick is a lovely university. Oh and the arts centre is wonderful, I was there 4 times last week so I guess I am in the less than 10%

ah just one more thing to mention.

the clubs/soc here are excellent. you pretty have everything here from skydiving to modern dance....

this year i joined UWSO and gliding soc.

ReputationRep:
    nono the union is good...on mondays and wednesdays and some other random nights... TOO MUCH and...it gets boring but leam is cool to go to so its all awesome

ReputationRep:
    Well. Warwick is quite good in some respects, as outlined above.

Quite interestingly, most of the people I have met abroad that have actually known about Warwick have been Chinese. That said, the percentage of Chinese people knowing about Warwick is probably tiny, but out of the people abroad that actually know about Warwick, many of them are Chinese. The reason is quite obviously that a lot of affluent Chinese look into studying in an English speaking country, and will tend to have friends and relatives already studying at a university in an English speaking country, and paying immense fees they would surely make sure to pick a top10 one or so.

This year I'm on exchange in Canada. I haven't met a single properly "Canadian" person of my age that knew about Warwick (take away the ones who were on exchange there last year). One of my Canadian friends, however, came back to me after a couple of days and said he'd tracked it down on some league table and proclaimed: "Oh my god, I had no idea Warwick was THAT good..."

My economic history prof knew about it of course, since Warwick is quite good for econ... and after he had proclaimed that we would only be reading papers by the "celebrities" for his course, I noticed that my Warwick lecturer from last year was included. My conclusion is that in academia, Warwick has quite a good reputation.

Out of my Chinese friends here, I think about 50% have heard about Warwick, and most of them because they knew about someone who went there. I even got an "Oh my god... my previous boyfriend went to Warwick."

ReputationRep:
    is it true that its like in a forest and completly isolated?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say that the university is completely isolated, but I would say that it can be similar to a small town.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.