Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

West Brom sack Alan Irvine Watch

• TSR Support Team

Someone said once one manager gets the sack another will go, Alan Irvine is the second managerial casualty in the Premier League.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30619419

ReputationRep:
    he was awful anyway
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Knew it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Said at the start of the season he'd be gone by Christmas... shame I was 4 days out.

They'll go for the cheap option again as very few managers will want to work under their structure and their bizarre transfer policy. Their squad has far too many cheap, past it ''names'' cobbled together with a couple of loanees - we've seen West Ham, Newcastle & Fulham all relegated in recent years for doing the same thing. Can see WBA going down either this season or next.

ReputationRep:
    The transfer policy worked before but because of the reasons I stated in the other thread it doesn't now. I don't think restless fans help either because all I've heard for a couple of years is stuff like "We need to spend big", so we did and it hasn't worked. I don't know what the fans expect. I know what they want and I want the same thing but you have to be realistic and thankfully Jeremy Peace is. We reached 8th a few seasons ago and fans expect us to improve but that's not how it works. Unless we get a sudden injection of money from somewhere 8th is our ceiling, so it was only ever going to go downhill after that season.

If we end up with Sherwood, who is currently favourite, then that's just laughable. We had him in the summer but didn't give him what he wanted and I imagine we would have to cave in to get him now.

ReputationRep:
    not surprised he's been sacked as I never rated him anyway, somewhat surprised they've done it so soon and whilst above the relegation zone, realistically for West Brom survival is a big achievement, can't really see anyone else taking them much further.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Sherwood to WBA is the formality people are suggesting.

ReputationRep:
    ohhhh ROBIN VAN PERSIE
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Pulis lined up for the job, according to Sky sources.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to see Pulis at Newcastle, I want to see what he can do with a decent squad with a large & passionate fan base.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TornadoGR4)
    I'd love to see Pulis at Newcastle, I want to see what he can do with a decent squad with a large & passionate fan base.
    Pulis would never work under conditions like he'd face at Newcastle.

Plus, they've sacked Big Sam before for his style of football. Would their fans give him a chance? I'm not so sure they would.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Steve Clarke should have been given more time tbh #controversial.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Steve Clarke should have been given more time tbh #controversial.
    Always thought that, too. He'd make a very good Championship manager. He turned us around defensively when he came in under Dalglish. Very astute tactician.

WBA won't go down now I expect.

ReputationRep:
    Its an odd one as they expect a lot but if you keep getting rid of managers it's not going to work. Clarke was definitely sacked prematurely and has a great cv, he would have steadied the ship given time.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    McClaren could be in for the NUFC job apparently. Doesn't look like Coloccini is going to happen. Shame, too, because it would have been farcical even by Newcastle standards.

ReputationRep:
    Give it Giggsy till end o' season, otherwise I woudda gone w' Pep Guardiolaaaa
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    If Newcastle give the job to Coloccini, then WBA should give theirs to Lescott.

ReputationRep:
    Like Gary Megson at Bolton, Irvine was never the face that fitted at WBA. Berahino was on fire start of season but their dip seemed to begin when he rested him and his form dropped. Don't know if that's the reason but spunking £10m on Ideye who Irvine admitted he'd not seen play not a positive omen. Peace landed him with a dud there.

Sherwood turned the job down so if they want him, will have to agree to his demands (his own backroom team and possibly being given a new gilet). Pulis wants control over transfer and can't see that happening.
    • TSR Support Team

Be amazing if McClaren leaves Derby with the way they are flying.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah derby have a real strong squad and are strong contenders for promotion. Doesn't he have connections with both clubs though? Personally I think he should stay as I think if he gets derby promoted they will stick with him even if they struggle

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 31, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.