The Student Room Group

Would leaving uni be the best option?

Hi,
I'm aware that lots of these posts appear on here but I honestly would be most grateful for any advice.
In October, I started studying a biology degree at a university I got into through clearing due to disappointing A-level results (DDD in bio maths chem) - I was predicted AAA at A-level as at GCSE I got 3 A*s 11 As 1 B - my AS grades are BBCCC if that helps.

I have always loved education and so was very excited to move away from home to study more. I really began to enjoy the course but I just am not busy enough.
I am only in lectures for 9 hours a week, I have two days off. Most people would be grateful, but I am used to being so crazy busy. My campus is one of three and is very small. The university is literally two buildings stuck in the middle of an old town. There aren't many societies. I am course rep and part of committees for events at the uni - its not like I havent tried to throw myself in.

I'm doing well at the course - getting 70% or above on the tests. The people are all lovely, but I live with boys who like to go out ALL the time and thats just not me. I find myself locked in my room a lot, waiting for people to visit. The people on my course are also lovely but most of the people are mature students or go home to their families. I'm not usually a quiet person but I feel like being there is destroying my personality and causing some form depression. I don't ever remember feeling this sad.

I am absolutely dreading going back. University has always been my dream but it's just not what I expected as I went through clearing. I don't know what to do, my A-levels are so so poor that no other decent uni will accept me and I doubt I could get an apprenticeship. I'm worried if I drop out I'll be cutting my options down a lot.

I'm very sorry if this isnt in the right place - just desperately need advice.
Original post by cliff695
Hi,
I'm aware that lots of these posts appear on here but I honestly would be most grateful for any advice.
In October, I started studying a biology degree at a university I got into through clearing due to disappointing A-level results (DDD in bio maths chem) - I was predicted AAA at A-level as at GCSE I got 3 A*s 11 As 1 B - my AS grades are BBCCC if that helps.

I have always loved education and so was very excited to move away from home to study more. I really began to enjoy the course but I just am not busy enough.
I am only in lectures for 9 hours a week, I have two days off. Most people would be grateful, but I am used to being so crazy busy. My campus is one of three and is very small. The university is literally two buildings stuck in the middle of an old town. There aren't many societies. I am course rep and part of committees for events at the uni - its not like I havent tried to throw myself in.

I'm doing well at the course - getting 70% or above on the tests. The people are all lovely, but I live with boys who like to go out ALL the time and thats just not me. I find myself locked in my room a lot, waiting for people to visit. The people on my course are also lovely but most of the people are mature students or go home to their families. I'm not usually a quiet person but I feel like being there is destroying my personality and causing some form depression. I don't ever remember feeling this sad.

I am absolutely dreading going back. University has always been my dream but it's just not what I expected as I went through clearing. I don't know what to do, my A-levels are so so poor that no other decent uni will accept me and I doubt I could get an apprenticeship. I'm worried if I drop out I'll be cutting my options down a lot.

I'm very sorry if this isnt in the right place - just desperately need advice.

Could you see about transferring to another university next year? You at least enjoy the course and you've made it this far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Coffeetime
Could you see about transferring to another university next year? You at least enjoy the course and you've made it this far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that could be an option - it might be worth me emailing unis?
Reply 3
It would be a shame to leave a course where you're doing well, just because your social life is disappointing. After all, you're at uni principally to get a degree.

As for not being busy due to minimal contact hours, you're supposed to be doing the bulk of your work independently. If you're not busy enough, nobody is going to notice - you won't be chased into the library or forced to work through your reading lists. The study you do outside contact hours is up to you.

It's good to be getting the marks you have, but this isn't guaranteed in your second and third years. Your first year will just be trying to bring everyone up to the same standard. You might well find that the course becomes more demanding and engaging next year.

With DDD at A Level, I doubt you'll find any unis that keen to take you on a transfer just yet. You need a much better academic track record first. As an above poster has suggested, it might be worth looking into transferring at the start of the next academic year. That way, you can show an excellent first year result which will make you a more attractive candidate. You need to decide on a few target courses/unis now, and email their Admissions Offices as soon as possible in the new year, asking if they'd accept you. If they all say no, you can at least know that you need to commit 100% to your current course.
Original post by cliff695
Yeah that could be an option - it might be worth me emailing unis?

It can't hurt to try.

Quick Reply

Latest