Turn on thread page Beta

How the class system differs across certain countries watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is it a romantic(false) notion that the class system is not the same, or non-existant in places such as Scotland, Ireland and France? Or is there some truth in this? If so how does it differ? Anyone with experience or knowledge of the class systems in the UK, Ireland and France would be most welcome to add to this discussion.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about the rest, but Scotland is just as much class-based, perhaps even more so in some ways, than England.

Have a glance at this. From my experience coming from a reasonably privileged background it is quite accurate: http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com...fm?id=31992006

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I'm always pretty shocked by figures on Glasgow. In it's rougher areas, which seem to be extensive, it looks bloody horrific! The violence especially seems awful. I heard on a documentary that Glasgow has the highest murder rate in Western Europe...

ReputationRep:
    I'd be very surprised if there were not a class system in other nations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Wow, I'm always pretty shocked by figures on Glasgow. In it's rougher areas, which seem to be extensive, it looks bloody horrific! The violence especially seems awful. I heard on a documentary that Glasgow has the highest murder rate in Western Europe...
    That'll be all the Scots that live there.

ReputationRep:
    That's not funny.........

ReputationRep:
    From the article:

...where the life expectancy figure seems hardly credible - 53.9.
    That's horrendous!

Every country has a class system, because there will always be those poorer than others. A lot of Europe's class systems were routed in association with royalty and land ownership. The various revolutions that swept the continent meant that the upper classes suffered. The two countries with the most obvious class differences were (Western) Russia and England, where rich meant filthy rich and poor meant starvation. Of course these differences have been somewhat ironed out, but Britain still retains it's class system.

I don't know much about outside of Europe tbh. I know that China, Japan and India had extensive class systems (China before communism, Japan before WW2, and India before British domination), but I know little about them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGrover)
    That'll be all the Scots that live there.
    oi! shh you!! or i will send my nice scottish bf over to sort you out :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soup_dragon87)

Every country has a class system, because there will always be those poorer than others.
    Yeah, but I have a feeling that in places like Ireland and Australia, it's not so all pervasive, there isn't that thing like in England where people are totally defined and divided when they open their mouth, and where to have a sense of entitlement you need to speak a certain way

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but I have a feeling that in places like Ireland and Australia, it's not so all pervasive, there isn't that thing like in England where people are totally defined and divided when they open their mouth, and where to have a sense of entitlement you need to speak a certain way
    Yes, I agree. We're not the most class-orientated society, but it is very obvious from the moment someone opens their mouth...

They are extensive, from what I understand. However the Glasgow that would be experienced by a tourist, uni student or middle class local is very pleasant. Sitting in a restaurant in the West End etc, you could be a million miles from what is actually probably closer to ten miles away.

I can't say I've experienced much of the 'other side' of Glasgow despite living quite near to it for a huge portion of my life... that's probably a testament to just how great the class divide is.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.