Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raymat)
    If you put in the right amount of effort, the A* for Maths should be one of the easiest A*s to get
    Yep, there's only two other people besides me who got A's in maths last year and we all agree maths is our best chance of getting an A* :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lxbsly)
    Maybe, but it is significantly less obvious in other subjects if that is the case. I genuinely knew pretty much all of the theory for business studies at A Level.

My other subjects.. I didn't know how to differentiate, I didn't know about the monetary policy committee and what they did, I didn't know light displayed both wave-like and photon properties. I know here I could just be selecting obscure examples. My point is, of course with all subjects, you're already going to know some, but with Business, everyone already seemed to know it all.
    Yeah I guess so but I always get super offended when people say that business studies is a joke because I really don't think it is. I take maths, chemistry and biology also at A Level along with Business Studies and I think all 4 subjects are worthy of equal effort. To really access the high grades for business studies, people have to have a good ability at both maths and English, especially at A2 where you're expected to just complete calculations as part of your answer without prompting and write complete essays to a good standard. I know that it may appear less challenging and seem to need less effort but I believe that business studies is extremely useful and definitely not a joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    No no, you have it all wrong.

Clearly the coat represents the burdens he carries with him every day. With each rain drop adding to its weight, he needs to discard it in order to be free.
    That was actually pretty insightful..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    Chem is hard
    Chem is plain annoying at times

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhang-liao)
    I understand that but people here are giving examples of BTECs though and I thought you were talking about BTEC Applied Science and BTEC Business Studies
    Guess it was just communication! I think that's the problem (not just on here), people see a BTEC grade and think that a real Business studies A Level is of the same difficulty because nobody bothers to be correct in their descriptions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Think it's pretty rude to describe subjects as 'a joke' just because you think it's above your own intellectual realm, people have their own aptitude and interests so who is anyone to mock what they choose to learn lol. Sorry to be the guy taking the moral high ground but this thread exposes a lot of educational elitism which is plain rude

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasey)
    Think it's pretty rude to describe subjects as 'a joke' just because you think it's above your own intellectual realm, people have their own attitudes and interests so who is anyone to mock what they choose to learn lol. Sorry to be the guy taking the moral high ground but this thread exposes a lot of educational elitism which is plain rude
    GEOLOGY ISN'T A REAL SCIENCE!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasey)
    Think it's pretty rude to describe subjects as 'a joke' just because you think it's above your own intellectual realm, people have their own attitudes and interests so who is anyone to mock what they choose to learn lol. Sorry to be the guy taking the moral high ground but this thread exposes a lot of educational elitism which is plain rude
    Preach! I completely agree, no subject is a joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WilJones138)
    Yep, there's only two other people besides me who got A's in maths last year and we all agree maths is our best chance of getting an A* :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Finally someone agrees! !maths is piss easy ...you just need practice

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Honestly it depends a lot on the board because some boards are much harder for certain subjects?
    Example: Friend at a different school takes RS/Philosophy in a different board to me, and the content is really simple, but the board my school picked is really difficult and a lot of work at AS+A2, but the GCSE one was easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasey)
    Think it's pretty rude to describe subjects as 'a joke' just because you think it's above your own intellectual realm, people have their own aptitude and interests so who is anyone to mock what they choose to learn lol. Sorry to be the guy taking the moral high ground but this thread exposes a lot of educational elitism which is plain rude
    It's their opinions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgecake22)
    It's their opinions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A gold star for captain obvious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aleveltimes)
    Yeah I guess so but I always get super offended when people say that business studies is a joke because I really don't think it is. I take maths, chemistry and biology also at A Level along with Business Studies and I think all 4 subjects are worthy of equal effort. To really access the high grades for business studies, people have to have a good ability at both maths and English, especially at A2 where you're expected to just complete calculations as part of your answer without prompting and write complete essays to a good standard. I know that it may appear less challenging and seem to need less effort but I believe that business studies is extremely useful and definitely not a joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree it isn't a joke in a sense it is easy, I took Business Studies. I wouldn't say it was easy to be honest. What made it challenging was the breadth of material, there was so much to remember. In my opinion, it was assigning so many words and phrases to too much, and only scratching the surface. I think Business Studies would be a better A-Level if it had a smaller spectrum of material it covered, and entered more depth.

The reason I included it in this thread was due to that fact that I found it a joke because I don't feel I learned that much due to it assigning names and phrases to a mass of theories I mostly knew instead of actually looking into them. At least that was my experience of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasey)
    A gold star for captain obvious
    Like you just stated your opinion. Which someone may disagree

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgecake22)
    Finally someone agrees! !maths is piss easy ...you just need practice

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I know a lot of people who failed physics/chemistry/biology last year but still managed B's in maths haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lxbsly)
    I agree it isn't a joke in a sense it is easy, I took Business Studies. I wouldn't say it was easy to be honest. What made it challenging was the breadth of material, there was so much to remember. In my opinion, it was assigning so many words and phrases to too much, and only scratching the surface. I think Business Studies would be a better A-Level if it had a smaller spectrum of material it covered, and entered more depth.

The reason I included it in this thread was due to that fact that I found it a joke because I don't feel I learned that much due to it assigning names and phrases to a mass of theories I mostly knew instead of actually looking into them. At least that was my experience of it.
    If it was more focused it might have more of a standing and be seen more positively but if you were really serious about a career in business and taking the A Level then it would lead onto a course at university which would then become more detailed and in depth. Most A Levels, except the sciences and maths to an extent only scratch the surface of the subject. I'm not saying that science and maths teach you everything, because they really don't but they are definitely more focused and indepth than business studies etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aleveltimes)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completely agree with you !!
    (I've acheived all my A levels and on a gap year btw)

I did Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Business Studies all at A2 and acheived all A*s and A's.

I can honestly say that A level Business studies is Extremely useful in practical life and is by no means a joke. Everything is a business and having good knowledge of business concepts (e.g. Motivation of workforce/ Business structure/ Effects of inflation or interest rates on business's and consumers etc..) all these help you better understand the world/news better and help a lot in practical life.

I also completely agree with you in that you have to apply good Maths skills e.g for the finance questions and obviously good English for the big essays.

However the people who take Business studies generally tend to be less academically minded than those who take the science subjects. (Don't mean it in a rude way)

But your right in order to access the higher grades you need to work your a** off as I think only 3% get A* at A2 business. Which is really low.

What boards are you on ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue1211823)
    That was actually pretty insightful..
    I do try :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Psychology??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Politics

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.