Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasey)
    Think it's pretty rude to describe subjects as 'a joke' just because you think it's above your own intellectual realm, people have their own aptitude and interests so who is anyone to mock what they choose to learn lol. Sorry to be the guy taking the moral high ground but this thread exposes a lot of educational elitism which is plain rude
    You say that like there isn't elitism on this site *cough* stem snobbery *cough*

I found maths very hard, but chemistry and biology were no problem. I agree with you, everyone excels in different subjects and to think that certain subjects give you an intellectual advantage compared to others is pathetic.

Not everyone is the prestigious A*-of-everything know it all who takes pride in thinking they are Gods gift :rolleyes:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aleveltimes)
    Guess it was just communication! I think that's the problem (not just on here), people see a BTEC grade and think that a real Business studies A Level is of the same difficulty because nobody bothers to be correct in their descriptions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Guess so

Sorry if I said anything which offended you or anything, wasn't trying to offend you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasey)
    Think it's pretty rude to describe subjects as 'a joke' just because you think it's above your own intellectual realm, people have their own aptitude and interests so who is anyone to mock what they choose to learn lol. Sorry to be the guy taking the moral high ground but this thread exposes a lot of educational elitism which is plain rude
    Kind of true because I remember doing AS Sociology and I got a D and most people describe that subject as a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futuremedic19)
    I completely agree with you !!
    (I've acheived all my A levels and on a gap year btw)

I did Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Business Studies all at A2 and acheived all A*s and A's.

I can honestly say that A level Business studies is Extremely useful in practical life and is by no means a joke. Everything is a business and having good knowledge of business concepts (e.g. Motivation of workforce/ Business structure/ Effects of inflation or interest rates on business's and consumers etc..) all these help you better understand the world/news better and help a lot in practical life.

I also completely agree with you in that you have to apply good Maths skills e.g for the finance questions and obviously good English for the big essays.

However the people who take Business studies generally tend to be less academically minded than those who take the science subjects. (Don't mean it in a rude way)

But your right in order to access the higher grades you need to work your a** off as I think only 3% get A* at A2 business. Which is really low.

What boards are you on ??
    You want to be a doctor? I've not met anyone that's taken the same A level combination as myself and is interested in medicine.

I'm on AQA for business studies and always have been, ever since gcse. I'm aiming for an A* in business studies and in hope I'll get it because my teacher is just an amazing person and has always encouraged me to aim high and achieve.

You should message me if you want to talk some more about it all!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyEcliptic)
    You say that like there isn't elitism on this site *cough* stem snobbery *cough*

I found maths very hard, but chemistry and biology were no problem. I agree with you, everyone excels in different subjects and to think that certain subjects give you an intellectual advantage compared to others is pathetic.

Not everyone is the prestigious A*-of-everything know it all who takes pride in thinking they are Gods gift :rolleyes:
    Mentioned earlier everyone has different abilities/motivation/opinions and idiosyncratic views.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgecake22)
    Mentioned earlier everyone has different abilities/motivation/opinions and idiosyncratic views.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Im well aware of that.
    Ive done stem and non stem subjects and I'd have to say, non stem took up a lot more of my time.

But it's unfair to put science subjects above the rest.. In my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Im well aware of that.
    Ive done stem and non stem subjects and I'd have to say, non stem took up a lot more of my time.

But it's unfair to put science subjects above the rest.. In my opinion.
    Fair enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

It's weird that there's elitism within elitism on here, everyone's concerned with being the best... Like with stem, biology is seen as bottom of the pile and further maths at the top but hell hath no fury if you're studying maths at Oxford and not Cambridge because maths at Oxford is so easy paha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasey)
    It's weird that there's elitism within elitism on here, everyone's concerned with being the best... Like with stem, biology is seen as bottom of the pile and further maths at the top but hell hath no fury if you're studying maths at Oxford and not Cambridge because maths at Oxford is so easy paha
    And if you're not at Trinity... Well you might as well be studying at a Met.

ReputationRep:
    Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Citizenship studies?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The intellectual snobbery on display here makes me want to vomit.

Have any of you actually PASSED your A-Levels yet? Because someone with a so-called "joke" A-Level is more qualified than someone who has failed :rolleyes:
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie231213)

Have any of you actually PASSED your A-Levels yet? Because someone with a so-called "joke" A-Level is more qualified than someone who has failed :rolleyes:
    I agree!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I made this thread and have done all my 4 A levels. A*-B grades

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't understand the hate towards BTEC, they really are a good standard of qualification and the one I took has prepared me very well for uni all the theory learnt on the btec in IT is effectively being repeated in my lectures for CompSci

I have heard similar for Engineering as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yt7777)
    I really don't understand the hate towards BTEC, they really are a good standard of qualification and the one I took has prepared me very well for uni all the theory learnt on the btec in IT is effectively being repeated in my lectures for CompSci

I have heard similar for Engineering as well
    Good for you..you're clearly proud of your achievement

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgecake22)
    Good for you..you're clearly proud of your achievement

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can't tell if you're being sarcastic :P

ReputationRep:

Yes, I passed my A-Levels and I am at University...

I am not calling any subjects a joke in terms of their easiness or silliness. No A-Levels are easy. They all require work to obtain a good grade. The subject I called a joke was because of the poor structure of the syllabus, the lack of depth. Yes, I understand at A-Level you cannot go into too much detail, but I think the subject would have been far superior had it sacrificed some material in exchange for delving deeper into certain areas. As there was certainly way too much material with absolutely no depth whatsoever. To me, it seemed as though we were being taught to become a dictionary for the subject, only being taught definitions, rather than learning to understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walt_14)
    I'm guessing s/he was taking the piss.
    Correct.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.