The Student Room Group

What A level/s do you find a joke?

Scroll to see replies

History. If you revise essay plans you're fine. I got 1 off an A* in my A2 History exam and only started revising the week before
Original post by fudgecake22
Could be any? Piss easy like Maths and General Studies?

I took English Language at AS; it was such a stupid subject :s-smilie:
Original post by Sacred Ground
I feel most insulted! Why do you think so?

I've already explained. In short as a subject, I love geography, and the study of the human and physical world.

But the A Level is utter tripe

Far too easy to get 100%
General studies
Could be any? Piss easy like Maths and General Studies?

I wouldnt call maths piss easy
Original post by Emma:-)
I wouldnt call maths piss easy

Later on you might realise that A-level maths is easy, further maths is comparable to others, maybe a little harder. Third A-level is very difficult.
Media studies is pathetic. I study it and we have a production unit in each year and this year I've been left to do everything. My group didn't even do anything. I skipped many history lessons for the sake of being available to film when actors are free. Once production is over we have an evaluation. Others in the group lied saying they did work and ended up getting an A and I got C for the production despite doing all the editing, being director, camera man (spent £600 on 600d), found actors... I'm so angry. Can anyone tell me what more I could have done to get an A? Should i have done nothing like the others and exaggerate my role in report? This is a subject that will never be fair. Its definitely a Mickey mouse alevel.
Original post by morgan8002
Later on you might realise that A-level maths is easy, further maths is comparable to others, maybe a little harder. Third A-level is very difficult.

If you are naturally good at maths, then yes, its easy, but if your not, then its quite hard.
I tried doing it myself when i did my a-levels- never again.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I've already explained. In short as a subject, I love geography, and the study of the human and physical world.

But the A Level is utter tripe

Far too easy to get 100%

Oh well, each to their own! I only average 26/30 on essay's though.
Reply 129
Pseudo-sciences in general. Geography A-level I've heard is very much like the GCSE. And above all else: English Lit and Lang, the course where I got to write two stories for coursework, and some of the easiest exam questions to whizz through.
Original post by Dylann
English Literature.

"The man was wearing a coat"

Teacher: The man is selfish and self-obsessed and only looks out for himself. The coat is a metaphor for a shield of his dark soul.

Author: It was ****ing raining so he wore a coat.

You're insulting the author (were you aware that authors put a lot of time and thought into their craft?), those who teach English, and anyone who has ever chosen to follow the pursuit of literary scholarship. Like... what a reductive and ridiculous post. If English isn't your forte, fine. It's not for everyone. It's not acceptable, however, to write off something that you can't grasp or can't appreciate as being a "joke".
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mediocrely
You're insulting the author (were you aware that authors put a lot of time and thought into their craft?), those who teach English, and anyone who has ever chosen to follow the pursuit of literary scholarship. Like... what a reductive and ridiculous post. If English isn't your forte, fine. It's not for everyone. It's not acceptable, however, to write off something that you can't grasp or can't appreciate as being a "joke".

I'm not insulting the author. I'm insulting the study of the subject, like almost every other post in this thread. There are many aspects to English Literature that do not include making interpretations of single sentences, but rather themes or character development as a whole. I personally found it a dull subject and I was highlighting a small humorous part of the study to fit this thread.
Original post by lachachacha
I took English Language at AS; it was such a stupid subject :s-smilie:

Types of nouns/clauses..effect ..purpose ..baby work

Posted from TSR Mobile

Psychology is NOT A JOKE! It's a social science based on scientific research. And it's actually quite hard - it's rated as one of the hardest subjects at A-level.
Original post by emiloujess
Psychology is NOT A JOKE! It's a social science based on scientific research. And it's actually quite hard - it's rated as one of the hardest subjects at A-level.

No it's not. It's not even a facilitating subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lxbsly
Business Studies.

Basically, it is primarily 100% commmon sense. Everybody already knows the theory. The only thing Business Studies does it attach a word to what you know.

Here is one example, I already knew prior to BS that firms would lower prices at certain times of day, or charge certain customers different prices and I knew the logic behind it. All BS did for me was attach the phrase 'price discrimination' to it for me.

I study Business Studies as a BTEC Extended Diploma, and I think it's disgusting the way some people are talking about the subject and the qualifications. I came out of GCSE's with everything B's, including four A*'s. I did one year of A a Levels, doing well but realising they weren't for me. I now study the BTEC, which is 18 units spread over two years. I tell you know it is not easy. I can make the comparison because I have done AS Levels.

The content is much more diverse, you learn better and there are things you don't realise apply to these situation. Could you seriously write an entire recruitment pack, talk about accounting ratios, speak about business ethics and assess corporate manslaughter legislation as common sense?

BTEC's are EQUIVALENT to A Levels, they are coursework based, but they are not easy.

I know you didn't specifically speak about BTEC but some people did and I hope they read this.

Also this forum IS the joke! You want to belittle peoples interests, shows how mature and ready for uni you are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 136
Original post by HayleyANich
I study Business Studies as a BTEC Extended Diploma, and I think it's disgusting the way some people are talking about the subject and the qualifications. I came out of GCSE's with everything B's, including four A*'s. I did one year of A a Levels, doing well but realising they weren't for me. I now study the BTEC, which is 18 units spread over two years. I tell you know it is not easy. I can make the comparison because I have done AS Levels.

The content is much more diverse, you learn better and there are things you don't realise apply to these situation. Could you seriously write an entire recruitment pack, talk about accounting ratios, speak about business ethics and assess corporate manslaughter legislation as common sense?

BTEC's are EQUIVALENT to A Levels, they are coursework based, but they are not easy.

I know you didn't specifically speak about BTEC but some people did and I hope they read this.

Also this forum IS the joke! You want to belittle peoples interests, shows how mature and ready for uni you are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is interesting hearing other peoples opinions.

I think you misunderstand my point because I went on to criticise the lack of depth in the Business A-Level, which is the reasoning behind why I called it a joke. So no, I cannot talk about some of the things you mentioned because of the lack of depth. But yes, I can get an A in Business A-Level with no revision. Had I revised I am going to assume I would have gotten an A*.

My friend failed A-Levels first year, strayed on but switched to BTEC Business Management. So a similar situation to yourself. His opinion is that the BTEC is more depth than the A-Level, I guess because you are only studying one subject this time, anyway he also says it is easier though.
Original post by Dylann
English Literature.

"The man was wearing a coat"

Teacher: The man is selfish and self-obsessed and only looks out for himself. The coat is a metaphor for a shield of his dark soul.

Author: It was ****ing raining so he wore a coat.

I completely disagree, English Literature is not an easy subject due to the sheer fact that you have to KNOW what the examiners expect from you, it's so easy to fail English simply because you didn't explore a particular concept enough.
Original post by lxbsly
It is interesting hearing other peoples opinions.

I think you misunderstand my point because I went on to criticise the lack of depth in the Business A-Level, which is the reasoning behind why I called it a joke. So no, I cannot talk about some of the things you mentioned because of the lack of depth. But yes, I can get an A in Business A-Level with no revision. Had I revised I am going to assume I would have gotten an A*.

My friend failed A-Levels first year, strayed on but switched to BTEC Business Management. So a similar situation to yourself. His opinion is that the BTEC is more depth than the A-Level, I guess because you are only studying one subject this time, anyway he also says it is easier though.

May I also just point out that Business Studies is also not an easy subject - in my opinion ALL A LEVEL or BTEC courses carry their own difficulties, and it also depends a lot on how you learn as a person, so one subject that someone finds easy may be incredibly hard for someone else:-)
Psychology is so difficult beacuse there is so much of it and it is f***** boring

Quick Reply

Latest