Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrJAKEE)
    First of all, if you are even considering doing Politics at A level pick another A level of more credibility to unis. Philosophy, English, History whatever. It's so easy at AS you could sleep I reckon around 1/3 of your lessons and still scrape an A. That is if you are genuinely interested in the political system. I've found the majority of people who actually pick it (that I know off.. Not nationally) picked it because they wanted an easy A or they wanted a fresh start from their disastrous GCSES..
    Of course if you want an easy A go for it.

Secondly, it should be about common sense about the electoral system + political parties and I completely agree with you that it should be incorporated into the national curriculum! (Gcse level). How can we expect the public to vote on issues they have no idea about?!?! It's absolutely outrageous that a large minority don't care how they are governed and either don't vote or vote ignorantly. That doesn't improve the political system whatsoever.

It's not a silly subject I bet at uni but at AS it certainly is... Prepare for complete boredom if you are currently interested in Politics if you are serious on taking it next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've taken the AS, studying it at A2 this year. (edexcel)

I agree with the fact that AS politics is easier than other subjects, but I really don't think it is an easy A. It's also about the exam technique, essay structure etc and if that comes easy to you, you would probably find the subject simply. Unfortunately, it doesn't come easy to everybody.

I think by learning the theory and exam technique you could get a B. You need to have a genuine interest in politics, and therefore keeping up to date with the news to get an A.

I think, like you say you had an interest in the subject before, and so I think you would have done a lot of research prior to starting the course and therefore found it easy.

Although, I agree that I would have expected the AS to have been harder. I am finding A2 much more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    I've taken the AS, studying it at A2 this year. (edexcel)

I agree with the fact that AS politics is easier than other subjects, but I really don't think it is an easy A. It's also about the exam technique, essay structure etc and if that comes easy to you, you would probably find the subject simply. Unfortunately, it doesn't come easy to everybody.

I think by learning the theory and exam technique you could get a B. You need to have a genuine interest in politics, and therefore keeping up to date with the news to get an A.

I think, like you say you had an interest in the subject before, and so I think you would have done a lot of research prior to starting the course and therefore found it easy.

Although, I agree that I would have expected the AS to have been harder. I am finding A2 much more difficult.
    On my first essay I got 30/40... Equivalent to an A. A lot of it is technique I'd agree but when you look at something like History you'll realise that History is a lot lot lot more harder than Politics in terms of technique. Politics needs to be toughened up at AS, people shouldn't be asked ridiculously simple questions. It's effectively Gcse material. With grade boundaries like 60/80 for 100 UMS on unit 1 it doesn't say much for the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well I was extremely interested in politics pre-AS and doing the subject has only increased my political interest and awareness further; I am fascinated by the history of the executive, structure of Parliament and analysis of deflections and democracy

I feel the credibility of an A-level subject is defined by the people who choose it. For example, I think Business Studies has quite a practical curriculum but the people who choose it (at my school anyway) are lazy and lack passion as well as ambition. Those who are actually interested in that field tend to pick Economics and even then I am one of the few who actually does wider reading.

The same goes for Sociology, Psychology and unfortunately Politics too. My class is huge (26 people FFS!!!) and only ten are politically engaged, one idiot thought Thatcher was a Labour PM and another didn't know who the current PM was!!!

I also think there is nothing wrong with the mentioned subjects as long as they are 'soft' subjects alongside your facilitating subjects in order to improve your UMS. After all, it's better to have AAA in History, Maths and Politics then ABCC in Maths, F Maths, Physics and Chemistry. But I think A levels are wasted on the no-hopers who do Sociology, Media and Business when they have no interests besides FIFA and being a pervert.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    Even if they should be more difficult, we need to take them in order to prove to universities that we are good candidates.
    Anyway, just because they are easy doesn't mean it's easy to get 100% in all of them. It's very easy to lose a lot of marks to mistakes.
    Oh course it is, but that isn't the point of this post is it? The post is designed to undermine the hard work and efforts of anyone that has studied the subjects being slated by you "intellectually elite" students. Well sorry for that, we can't all be natural superstars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrJAKEE)
    On my first essay I got 30/40... Equivalent to an A. A lot of it is technique I'd agree but when you look at something like History you'll realise that History is a lot lot lot more harder than Politics in terms of technique. Politics needs to be toughened up at AS, people shouldn't be asked ridiculously simple questions. It's effectively Gcse material. With grade boundaries like 60/80 for 100 UMS on unit 1 it doesn't say much for the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did History at AS, yes it was much harder.

Tbh, I think politics is one of those subjects that if you enjoy it: you will do well. If you don't, you won't. Hence why the grade boundaries are low, because a lot of people take it thinking that it is a super easy subject but don't have any interest in the subject content.

Also, I think one of the reasons why at AS it isn't as hard is because they want young people to be engaged in the subject.

I am looking forward to studying it at university though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dylann)
    English Literature.

"The man was wearing a coat"

Teacher: The man is selfish and self-obsessed and only looks out for himself. The coat is a metaphor for a shield of his dark soul.

Author: It was ****ing raining so he wore a coat.
    Quality hahahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Media studies, which we were forced to take at our school instead of a useful gcse which would have been ICT... only my ****ing school.
    Oh, A levels, my bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlenko)
    Oh course it is, but that isn't the point of this post is it? The post is designed to undermine the hard work and efforts of anyone that has studied the subjects being slated by you "intellectually elite" students. Well sorry for that, we can't all be natural superstars.
    The point of the post wasn't to cause offence, it was just to explain my point of view and why the "intellectually elite" take them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    I did History at AS, yes it was much harder.

Tbh, I think politics is one of those subjects that if you enjoy it: you will do well. If you don't, you won't. Hence why the grade boundaries are low, because a lot of people take it thinking that it is a super easy subject but don't have any interest in the subject content.

Also, I think one of the reasons why at AS it isn't as hard is because they want young people to be engaged in the subject.

I am looking forward to studying it at university though
    Spot on!

So you want to study politics too, what uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    anything with 'studies' at the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constantino_chr)
    Spot on!

So you want to study politics too, what uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Politics & IR yup

Deciding between Birmingham and Nottingham as my firm.

Also have offers from Lancaster, Royal Holloway and Kent.

You?

ReputationRep:
    What would you say are the best 'facilitating' subjects? And do modern languages count as facilitating

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    English Literature.

Teacher: The man is selfish and self-obsessed and only looks out for himself. The coat is a metaphor for a shield of his dark soul.

Absolute bull I'd like to see you try to get an a level in it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smileitsjess)
    Personally, I find it a joke that people find themselves superior to others because of the subjects they choose to study at 16 years old. There's no bigger sign of insecurity than criticising other peoples' life choices to make you feel better about your own. I think it's time for some people to grow up a little bit.
    Couldn't agree more

ReputationRep:
    English Literature.

:rofl:
    This is so true for GCSE, but for A-levels we are not supposed to go in so much analysis.

I wouldn't say it is easy. :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    Physics

:troll:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Procrastinate)
    Physics

:troll:
    True, if you do a few A-levels in maths alongside it it's easy.

ReputationRep:
    General Studies, anything that ends in "skills" (eg. Life Skills) or any "-ology" minus biology

ReputationRep:
    English has got to be the most depressing life-sapping subject there is

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott der Zweite)
    Psychology is so difficult beacuse there is so much of it and it is f***** boring
    Personally, i think Psychology is ok, but what makes it difficult is the amount you have to learn.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.