Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I fell over and grazed/cut my knee this morning, I've already wiped/soaked it in salt water, dried and put a plaster on, but it still looked quite bloody when I'd finished cleaning (it's got grazing all around it as well)...

Does that matter? Is there anything else I need to do so it doesn't get infected? I haven't fallen over since I was about 10 and my mum was there to clean it up for me

ReputationRep:
    No, that's fine.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    I had a bad graze this summer due to a fal on wet sand when running (when you're 22, it's time to stop playing rounders :p:)
    I did all you did, and then I used tea tree oil. The stuff is great : it doesn't sting, and the graze healed quite quickly.
    Good luck !

ReputationRep:
    U can use DETTOL dissolved in water for the purpose....

After Shave works pretty well, although u'll be sorry for about 5 minutes after u apply it (it stings).

Tea-tree oil is an excellent antiseptic as well.

ReputationRep:
    what you did is fine. if your worried then go buy an antiseptic cream but i wouldnt bother covering it or anything unless its rubbing against clothing

ReputationRep:
    Magic Cream aka Savlon is teh sh it.

Graham

ReputationRep:
    Just get (wipe/wash) the dirt out, the rest will come by itself. There is no need to desinfect and "deepclean" a minor wound. If signs of infection show after a few days use of antiseptic wash or cream may be usefull.
    Usually the body can manage fine all alone, the crust is like a plaster so don't pick it off.

ReputationRep:
    Put witch hazel on cotton wool to clean it. It's a little milder than some of the other suggestions (as in it works fantastically well but isn't going to sting). And then a little germolene (might sting but it will help it heel better).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.