Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Fashion advice please?????!!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Look-I'm a normal height skinny guy,wear glasses and I really have a desire to be more fashionable yet just normally stick with regular fit jeans a pair of trainers and a polo shirt.

I want to be a bit more adventurous yet nothing too 'out there' that I feel isn't me. Bare in mind I don't have one of these fashionable quiff haircuts that's every other lad has (I'm not a skin head either;just a short back and sides.) and I am also not really toned/bulky-just averagely skinny ish.

I also don't like the idea of ultra skinny jeans/turning up the sleeves on t-shorts and showing off my ankles etc.

In short if anyone could suggest some simple outfits I could put together to give me a style boost that would be much appreciated;I.e how to wear converse/vans... I've got to stop wearing air forces and trainers!...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobrose1)
    Look-I'm a normal height skinny guy,wear glasses and I really have a desire to be more fashionable yet just normally stick with regular fit jeans a pair of trainers and a polo shirt.

I want to be a bit more adventurous yet nothing too 'out there' that I feel isn't me. Bare in mind I don't have one of these fashionable quiff haircuts that's every other lad has (I'm not a skin head either;just a short back and sides.) and I am also not really toned/bulky-just averagely skinny ish.

I also don't like the idea of ultra skinny jeans/turning up the sleeves on t-shorts and showing off my ankles etc.

In short if anyone could suggest some simple outfits I could put together to give me a style boost that would be much appreciated;I.e how to wear converse/vans... I've got to stop wearing air forces and trainers!...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Bomber jackets so attractive on boys imo

Denim jackets/denim shirts- basically anything denim- but in different washes

Brogues?

Jumpers???

Wear different fit jeans?

Wear different aftershave?

ReputationRep:
    Is one of these 'fashionable' haircuts-quiffs/fades essential? As I don't think I'm that sort of person.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And I'm actually going to look at bomber jackets now lol-and any advice on what fit jeans to wear with vans?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And I'm actually going to look at bomber jackets now lol-and any advice on what fit jeans to wear with vans?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Idk too much about men's clothing but if say go on asos men's section- I think most of the models look hot lol

erm I think

Try looking through vintage shops or just what older guys/grunge bands wore?

Avoid the "boy band" look at all costs it's so disneyfied. Don't know what else to say sorry

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    First of all, try different hairstyles because if you find one that actually suits you it can make a big difference. I've literally had every hairstyle going and it has taken me a while to find about 3 that really suit me. Trying a new hairstyle will help you big time with your overall style but if the one you have now suits you then work with that - its hard to give advice without knowing what you look like haha!

In regards to clothes, jeans specifically, you want to try some with some shape like a slim fit - these are of a similar style to skinny but they don't hug your legs as much. If you haven't tried skinny jeans before then I would recommend them because they're the only style of jeans that I wear as they are really comfy but take a week or so to get used to and they'll never go out of fashion imo (women like to see a good set of calves on a man ). Stay away from the straight cut jeans!! - they lack shape and are not flattering!

Shoes are one of my fav accessories. Brogues are always a big yes depending on the colours - simple browns and greys are nice but you can also get some nice ones with a splash of colour on them but be careful they don't take over your outfit. Choose ones that compliment your outfit (browns and greys always work well like I said). Doc Martens are also a good option but stay away from the high top boot versions if you're short as they tend to make you look silly and even shorter/stumpy. The shoe versions are equally as nice.
    As for trainers, vans and converse are easy for casual occasions and day to day things such as college/uni but I usually interchange with these and my brogues, depending on the look I'm going for. A good boot is also good like a timberland or something along those lines.

As for tops it really does depend on what style you're going for i.e I go for a more casual "indie" style as it suits me best. So, the tops I usually wear are just pastel colours which go well with anything - you can never go wrong with just a plain white tshirt if it fits correctly (not too tight as I think they look better slightly baggy which goes well with the look I go for).
    Also, jumpers are a must for the winter and you can get some gems like the cable-knit jumpers but just look for ones that suit you best and stay away from garish colours!
    Polo shirts can be hit and miss imo, they either look terrible or decent depending on who's wearing them. Long sleeve shirts are a must have! You can wear them open with a tshirt underneath or buttoned up for a smarter look. The sleeves can be rolled up for a casual look or even leave them down - leaving them down still has a casual effect if you leave the shirt unbuttoned whilst also wearing a tshirt underneath).

I would say I like to take pride in how I dress and I've been complemented countless times from the girls I know and even don't know so I hope this helps you in some way, but as I said before, its hard to style someone or give advice without seeing the person - I've tried my best!
    Look at a few lookbooks online, they will give you ideas and you can take things from each look and interchange things to your personal liking.
    Look in shops such as;
    • All Saints (expensive but you can get ideas from there and buy similar things in other shops)
    • Asos
    • Jack Wills
    • Urban Outfitters
    • American Apparel
    • Topman & River Island (can be hit and miss really but if you scout around you may find something)
    • Charity Shops/Vintage Shops

Sorry this isn't short like you asked for haha! Feel free to ask anything

ReputationRep:
    Is one of these 'fashionable' haircuts-quiffs/fades essential? As I don't think I'm that sort of person.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Defo not, I prefer guys without them

ReputationRep:
    Above suggestions are quite right, regarding jeans, hairstyle and jackets. With those you can add a stylish gold plated bracelet. That would change the whole style statement and add to your personality.

ReputationRep:
    All Saints/Represent

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the tips guys-I've had a look around and did get some slimmer jeans and I agree they are much more flattering,although they take time to get totally used to.

What does anyone think of this(as I have a gift card with them)

http://mobile.lyleandscott.com/lyle-...p-product/1939

Coupled with something like these?

http://mobile.lyleandscott.com/lyle-...p-product/1881

(Either colour)^
    And what jean/trousers to wearwith it?

Sorry I'm still such a fashion novice,it's crazy!!!!

And could anyone if they had some free time tell me what they thought of this and what to wear it with::I like the injection of colour here:

http://mobile.lyleandscott.com/lyle-...cp-product/199

Sorry to bombard everyone!!
    I'm having a late teen crisis!!!!
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the tips guys-I've had a look around and did get some slimmer jeans and I agree they are much more flattering,although they take time to get totally used to.

What does anyone think of this(as I have a gift card with them)

http://mobile.lyleandscott.com/lyle-...p-product/1939

Coupled with something like these?

http://mobile.lyleandscott.com/lyle-...p-product/1881

(Either colour)^
    And what jean/trousers to wearwith it?

Sorry I'm still such a fashion novice,it's crazy!!!!

And could anyone if they had some free time tell me what they thought of this and what to wear it with::I like the injection of colour here:

http://mobile.lyleandscott.com/lyle-...cp-product/199

Sorry to bombard everyone!!
    I'm having a late teen crisis!!!!
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The sweater is cool but the shoes are a bit chavy, I must say haha! Also, don't just buy clothes because there is a visible brand logo on them. Especially if you are wearing a jumper and shoes that have the same logo on, it can look lame. The shoes from Lyle & Scott make me vomit in general tbh - horrific.
    Cant see the jacket...

ReputationRep:
    Lol definitely avoid the shoes then-and yeah it just a grey bomber jacket with a few random blue /red lines on it-thanks for getting back to me.-I get what you mean if you go ott on the branding ,the chav look wasn't what I was aiming for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1425329968.325724.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  203.7 KB

Hi guys hopefully the above image uploads correctly but what do you think of the combination-I went into my local debenhams as I had a gift card and the personal shopper suggested these-burgundy round neck jumper-slim for jeans drk blue and a pair of brownish boots?/is this a good look?? Need to know ASAP-

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1425329968.325724.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  203.7 KB

Hi guys hopefully the above image uploads correctly but what do you think of the combination-I went into my local debenhams as I had a gift card and the personal shopper suggested these-burgundy round neck jumper-slim for jeans drk blue and a pair of brownish boots?/is this a good look?? Need to know ASAP-

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Should be fine

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.