Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hallo.
    Ich bin Bill.
    That and a few other words so far are the extent of my knowledge of the German language. Anyone know a starter book I will do more advanced stuff after I get the hang of the basics(I'm in my first year of A levels and I want to go to universitat in Deutschland.)
    Recommend me a starter book and an advanced book ?
    -Bill

ReputationRep:
    Text books or reading books?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My first German book was Meine Oma lebt in Afrika, which i picked up in Waterstones. It's for kids of course, but then books at this level usually are. If you want a challenge go for Im Westen nichts Neues. That was my second book and I struggled through to the end.

ReputationRep:
    Teach yourself complete German

ReputationRep:
    They use the Echo books at ks3 level. If you want a progression the same as those learning through school. If not YouTube has some good stuff and it teaches you the correct pronunciation. Get Germanized is a really good YouTube channel on german culture and they do words of the day and stuff like that. The bulk of it is in English but it give you a background of the german language which I think is important

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello, thank you for suggestions, I've already been looking at get Germanized and a few other websites, that slowly teach you . thank you all

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 7, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.