Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P357)
    I'm not buddy...
    Someone made this thread that aimed to discuss what the idea of a black Bond would sound like,someone else brought up the outrage that is taking place from the critics,the SJWS(which btw,is a teenage twitter/tumblr term,NOT a traditional dailymail thing)cried racism,and I explained the stance of the critics(you quoted me first remember?).The whinny lefties that cried racism MADE it into a political thing when people just wanted their action hero kept true to its traditional roots. You're slow mah'man.
    You really think you can define people as left wing because they disagree with you on this topic ? Are you 14 and watch Fox News?

I had this devate with you before but you keep bringing political correctness into it when it's got nothing to do with this. You're politicising this so unnecessarily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thechillyone)
    You really think you can define people as left wing because they disagree with you on this topic ? Are you 14 and watch Fox News?

I had this devate with you before but you keep bringing political correctness into it when it's got nothing to do with this. You're politicising this so unnecessarily.
    I think you're slightly confused.
    I think I can definitely define people as left-wing if they scream racism left right and center. That's an 100% left-wing thing...But what do you mean?You barely had any debate with me,you just lost the plot completely and kept replying for the hell of it. I'm arguing that there is no racism in criticizing the idea of casting Idris. What's your point?

(btw,are you american too?Or did you pick up that fox reference from somewhere and used it to make yourself look cool or something?I mean do you even understand what the GOP is?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P357)
    What if you did a role-reversal,would you buy into a white martial-arts superhero set in china somewhere(the very idea makes me cringe tbh)?
    Said by someone who clearly doesn't watch martial arts films or you'd realise how stupid you just sounded there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zander01)
    Said by someone who clearly doesn't watch martial arts films or you'd realise how stupid you just sounded there.
    True that I'm not big on that genre.
    But seriously though,do things like karate kid not make you cringe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P357)
    I think you're slightly confused.
    I think I can definitely define people as left-wing if they scream racism left right and center. That's an 100% left-wing thing...But what do you mean?You barely had any debate with me,you just lost the plot completely and kept replying for the hell of it. I'm arguing that there is no racism in criticizing the idea of casting Idris. What's your point?

(btw,are you american too?Or did you pick up that fox reference from somewhere and used it to make yourself look cool or something?I mean do you even understand what the GOP is?)
    Haha okay pal. Way to dismiss an entire debate and be arrogant. Obviously there is no point in arguing with you.

No, clearly I don't. I'm just an idiot and have no idea what I am talking about. What is the GOP? Is it a wooden ship?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P357)
    True that I'm not big on that genre.
    But seriously though,do things like karate kid not make you cringe?
    Yes but that's a cheesy film in general. There's been many instances of white people taking part in martial art films in Asia though without looking out of place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zander01)
    Yes but that's a cheesy film in general. There's been many instances of white people taking part in martial art films in Asia though without looking out of place.
    Like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P357)
    Like?
    Well as someone else said chuck Norris basically made a career out of it. You have jean Claude van damme in kickboxer, John Saxon in enter he dragon (one of Bruce lee's best films), david carradine (who by the way played a Buddhist monk who was clearly meant to be Chinese).

There's probably more but that's off the top of my head

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P357)
    Oh there is such a thing as a black british man. "British" is a nationality. There is no such thing as an ethnic english-man/scotsman who also happens to be black. This is where traditionalism comes in,which I think is a key feature of the Bond brand.Traditionally,at the end of the day,this country's attitude towards citizenship and ethnicity wasn't necessarily the polar opposite to what the japanese/chinese had and still have. The current political climate this country is under is a direct outcome of modernism-something i don't think Bond was meant to be associated with. When I think Bond,I think traditionalism. That's pretty much it.
    I would broadly agree that there are ethnic English and Scottish nationalities and a non-ethnic British nationality. I think Bond is part of the latter and that the ethnic nationalisms actually post-date (and possibly were caused by) mass immigration. No one in 1950, or 1930, took sub-British nationalism very seriously. Traditionally, indeed, this country had no such thing as citizenship; before 1948 there was one status of British subject and it was indivisible, with your rights differing from those of a Bengali peasant only by residency. The Viceroy of India, after he had been living abroad long enough, lost the right to vote in the UK. Gandhi had the right to vote in the UK when he lived there during his studies and practice as a lawyer. What you regard as tradition is an invention of the past 30-40 years. That's fine, but it's got nothing to do with James Bond.

Are you left-wing then?
    Perhaps you would like to join me defending Enoch Powell in the Nigel Farage Man of the Year thread.

The main difference between us is that I do not identify at all with sub-British nationalism. I would fight to defend Scotland, indeed, to defend Australia, Ireland, or the United States. These are states that exist as vehicles for certain ideas, not certain ethnic clades.

ReputationRep:
    Jude Law... far better option than Idris Elba

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toda)
    Jude Law... far better option than Idris Elba
    Isn't he bald now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by battycatlady)
    Yeah, exactly. He stood for racial equality. Don't you think it would it perpetuate white supremacy if we changed his skin colour?
    Absolutely, it would be stupid, and I wouldn't do it. Which is my exact opinion on Bond becoming black. If black people want more representation fine, write a few books with a black protagonist and make some films based around them, don't turn a character who was clearly intended to be white and has been for this many years, black.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    I would broadly agree that there are ethnic English and Scottish nationalities and a non-ethnic British nationality. I think Bond is part of the latter and that the ethnic nationalisms actually post-date (and possibly were caused by) mass immigration. No one in 1950, or 1930, took sub-British nationalism very seriously. Traditionally, indeed, this country had no such thing as citizenship; before 1948 there was one status of British subject and it was indivisible, with your rights differing from those of a Bengali peasant only by residency. The Viceroy of India, after he had been living abroad long enough, lost the right to vote in the UK. Gandhi had the right to vote in the UK when he lived there during his studies and practice as a lawyer. What you regard as tradition is an invention of the past 30-40 years. That's fine, but it's got nothing to do with James Bond.
    Which is...?Ethnic nationalism?I don't think my argument was implying that the ideology was a traditionally deep-seated feature of the country. I agree that it is a fairly modern outcome of mass immigration(which is in fact part of modernism).In other words there hadn't been much need for it prior to that. The point is that I don't really see how Bond would be "part of the latter"(i.e. non-ethnic British nationality). I've already made the point that Bond is more of a nod of traditional British archetype of masculinity(traditional meaning pre-modernism). I wonder who exactly associates Bond with modernism anyway?

Perhaps you would like to join me defending Enoch Powell in the Nigel Farage Man of the Year thread.

The main difference between us is that I do not identify at all with sub-British nationalism. I would fight to defend Scotland, indeed, to defend Australia, Ireland, or the United States. These are states that exist as vehicles for certain ideas, not certain ethnic clades.
    well here's to me running out of ideas...You sound like a liberal who feels like he's got an extra "edge".Libertarian maybe?
    ideas/ethnicity/culture and even religions are almost always interlinked in some kind of shape or form. Sub-british nationalism has more or less been a direct outcome of a certain group who acted on the belief that states are not meant to be "ethnic clades"...By enlarge, societies have been vastly based on tribalism,that's that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P357)
    Which is...?Ethnic nationalism?I don't think my argument was implying that the ideology was a traditionally deep-seated feature of the country. I agree that it is a fairly modern outcome of mass immigration(which is in fact part of modernism).In other words there hadn't been much need for it prior to that. The point is that I don't really see how Bond would be "part of the latter"(i.e. non-ethnic British nationality). I've already made the point that Bond is more of a nod of traditional British archetype of masculinity(traditional meaning pre-modernism). I wonder who exactly associates Bond with modernism anyway?

well here's to me running out of ideas...You sound like a liberal who feels like he's got an extra "edge".Libertarian maybe?
    ideas/ethnicity/culture and even religions are almost always interlinked in some kind of shape or form. Sub-british nationalism has more or less been a direct outcome of a certain group who acted on the belief that states are not meant to be "ethnic clades"...By enlarge, societies have been vastly based on tribalism,that's that.
    Please read your first paragraph. And then have a think about it. It has so little substance I'm not even trying to be rude or anything but honestly how can you not realise that youre just ranting now?

I think you've called everyone on here a liberal or 'SJW' now. I'll just point out to you that this doesn't help your argument in the least bit so you're really just wasting your own time typing it out everytime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thechillyone)
    Please read your first paragraph. And then have a think about it. It has so little substance I'm not even trying to be rude or anything but honestly how can you not realise that youre just ranting now?

I think you've called everyone on here a liberal or 'SJW' now. I'll just point out to you that this doesn't help your argument in the least bit so you're really just wasting your own time typing it out everytime.
    I've no idea what you just said.
    And i still have no idea what you're criticizing.
    The only thing i'm getting is that something's displeasing you.The thing that I'm not getting,is why are you adamant to engage with me,in spite of that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P357)
    I've no idea what you just said.
    And i still have no idea what you're criticizing.
    The only thing i'm getting is that something's displeasing you.The thing that I'm not getting,is why are you adamant to engage with me,in spite of that?
    You're kind of naive in thinking Bond won't be modernised? All superheroes over the decades have been to some point. I mean, look at the recent portrayals of Batman and Arkham City. Sure we can make references to, but we can't stay in the 60s...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P357)
    Bond dates from the 1950s. He is part of the generation that grew up in the aftermath of WWI and fought in WWII. He is not "English" precisely because he pre-dates what you call modernism.

I agree these things are interlinked. The average non-white Briton is probably much less culturally British than the average white Briton. For this reason I have problems with non-selective immigration. That doesn't mean there are no culturally British immigrants or people descended from immigrants.

ReputationRep:
    Bond dates from the 1950s. He is part of the generation that grew up in the aftermath of WWI and fought in WWII. He is not "English" precisely because he pre-dates what you call modernism.

I agree these things are interlinked. The average non-white Briton is probably much less culturally British than the average white Briton. For this reason I have problems with non-selective immigration. That doesn't mean there are no culturally British immigrants or people descended from immigrants.
    "pre-dates what you call modernism"....so he was british prior to all that "wind of change" mass-immigration phenomena,when the need for sub-british nationalism was non-existent...and yet him suddenly becoming an ethnic doesn't harm his brand's credibility?

well i never made an argument against that...I do realize that people can become naturalized citizens through generations but that's non-related to the Bond thing and Fleming intended for him to be.

Do you descend from immigrants btw?

ReputationRep:
    What will happen if James Bond is Asain guy like Jackie Chan? Lol.

Mr. Bond eats noodles? Lol.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Messiah Complex)
    Good. Idris Elba would make a great Bond.

Shame. I'd rather they got rid of him now about brought Elba in. Craig has always seemed strange as Bond to me because he doesn't seem to have any authoritive demeanour about him. If he were a teacher you'd probably think he was a supply you could mug off whereas Elba would get your respect instantly.
    Oh not Idris Elba, I couldn't give two hoots about Bond's colour but Elba is not even classically trained, in fact Daniel Craig is not a Bond either;blonde, a little pug faced, if Timothy Dalton could take youth serum, or the Irish actor Micheal Fassbender would be good Keanu Reeves if too he could take youth serum and develop a decent british accent ditto Tom Cruise.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.