Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

James Bond to become black? Thoughts? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Not trying to hijack thread but, what does everyone think here of Sean Connery coming back and playing ‘M’ I think it would be spectacular

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Messiah Complex)
    Good. Idris Elba would make a great Bond.

Shame. I'd rather they got rid of him now about brought Elba in. Craig has always seemed strange as Bond to me because he doesn't seem to have any authoritive demeanour about him. If he were a teacher you'd probably think he was a supply you could mug off whereas Elba would get your respect instantly.
    Craig is by far the most realistic incarnation the series has had since Connery. I'm glad he's got another 2 films in it.

(Original post by Tai Ga)
    hmmm haven't seen any of the people complaining about a black james bond echoing similar sentiments regarding the all white cast of exodus, or 21, or the fact that white people were cast in the live adaptation of Avatar when literally no one is white in the cartoon, and two of the main characters were dark skinned.

The hypocrisy is amusing. Hollywood whitewashes everything it can get it's hands on lol.
    Because Exodus is a ****ing gash film with no redeeming features. James Bond on the other hand has a cultural and historical name to it that can't just become black over night. Now I wouldn't mind if Elba was to play Bond if he can pull off a convincing character, but making him black for the sake of the need for change is ridiculous and kills the franchise. Look what happened when Lazenby, the first non-Brit to play Bond, came along. The same can be said for the abysmal performance of Brosnan, an American with a superficial British-charm that resulted in a series of campy movies. Would you be happy for something you enjoy to be made different simply because multiculturalism demanded it?

And how does Hollywood 'whitewash everything it can get its hands on'? Look at the amount of awards that go to films concerning or involving minority groups: Dallas Buyers Club; 12 Years a Slave (which was incredibly overrated); Gravity. All films of the 86th Academy Awards that swept the oscars.

And so what if Hollywood uses lots of white actors? I'd rather see a movie that was good and made good because it didn't cast someone simply because of their race over a film that needed some PC standard to adhere to.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love Idris Elba to play Bond - think he's perfect! Yes, Ian Fleming did specify that the character was white, but so what? People want Idris Elba not because he's black, but because he's the best guy for he job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evening)
    Craig is by far the most realistic incarnation the series has had since Connery. I'm glad he's got another 2 films in it.

Omg are you demented that is a insult to Sean Connery Daniel Craig is literally pooing over the Bond movies he needs to go Micheal Fassbender needs to come or maybe Keanu Reeves if he could develop a decent Brit accent.

Because Exodus is a ****ing gash film with no redeeming features. James Bond on the other hand has a cultural and historical name to it that can't just become black over night. Now I wouldn't mind if Elba was to play Bond if he can pull off a convincing character, but making him black for the sake of the need for change is ridiculous and kills the franchise. Look what happened when Lazenby, the first non-Brit to play Bond, came along. The same can be said for the abysmal performance of Brosnan, an American with a superficial British-charm that resulted in a series of campy movies. Would you be happy for something you enjoy to be made different simply because multiculturalism demanded it?
    Idriss Elba has a very limited range he could not pull it off, he makes quite a few turkeys.
    Brosnan is Irish not American and was not half bad, and alot better that pug-faced Daniel Craig, as Bond George Lazenby did very good in that but I heard rumours he was snobby everybody remembers the movie Bond cries in for his dead wife.

And how does Hollywood 'whitewash everything it can get its hands on'? Look at the amount of awards that go to films concerning or involving minority groups: Dallas Buyers Club; 12 Years a Slave (which was incredibly overrated); Gravity. All films of the 86th Academy Awards that swept the oscars.
    Yes I agree the 12 Years A Slave movie was overrated especially the ending and most of the cast was not even American, but Dallas Buyers Clubs was good, Jared Leto performance was standout.

And so what if Hollywood uses lots of white actors? I'd rather see a movie that was good and made good because it didn't cast someone simply because of their race over a film that needed some PC standard to adhere to.
    Fair Point.

ReputationRep:
    Absurd really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, why not Denzel Washington or Will Smith? I'm sure with months of training by a speech expert they could perfect a faux Queen's English accent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perfectsymbology)
    Seriously, why not Denzel Washington or Will Smith? I'm sure with months of training by a speech expert they could perfect a faux Queen's English accent.
    Will Smith is a comedic actor (nobody wants Big Ears as Bond) and Denzel Washington could not pull of a English Accent.

ReputationRep:
    Samuel L Jackson? Nah, probably too old. Terry Crews?

ReputationRep:
    Let's go for the full trifecta.

ReputationRep:
    Of course not, but we shouldn't have a black one for the sake of having a black one.

ReputationRep:
    It would be stupid to be offended imo.

I personally don't really care what colour he is made to be but agree with the post above.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    can someone tell me why daniel craig is leaving? Is it because he's too old or something?

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care and it's a big deal out of nothing.

Bond is a fictional character ffs people getting crazy over it. You can't compare a white man playing Obama because that's stupid and he's real but any race can play bon who isn't real.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutellme)
    Of course not, but we shouldn't have a black one for the sake of having a black one.
    Spot on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittr n swt)
    Bond is a fictional character ffs people getting crazy over it. You can't compare a white man playing Obama because that's stupid and he's real but any race can play bon who isn't real.
    Not that I care much about the series but although you can't compare fiction to reality, if the fictions narrative is very strong/clear in how it portrays a character, their race, build, personality etc, then it does seem prudent to match it if its a popular ongoing franchise. Bond is an upper class white guy..that's how he\s always been portrayed, I got no issue personally with a black guy playing him, but I do understand why some might be annoyed, just as anyone who really enjoys a certain fictional series might be miffed if the main character has their gender, ethnicity or background totally altered for the cinema when it's historical or important to the plot.

I mean I suppose a comparison might be if they re-made the A-team and B.A. Baracus was played by Steve Buscemi, from a pure acting standpoint he's an actor...could probably do bad attitude in your face soldier, but B.A Baracus is completely associated now as a bulky black guy due to Mr. T, a lot of followers would expect the casting to bring in someone to fit a similar physical presence. Or lets say South Park was made into a movie with live acting, you'd probably not expect Michael Berryman to star as "Chef", yeah again technically he could act the role, but he doesn't fit the fictional bio of the character, which has existed for years and who's ethnicity plays a basis on the plots he's involved in.

I think some roles should just be played by those who fit the bill, I wouldn't expect a white guy to play Ellis "Red" in a re-made Shawshank redemption for instance.

I wouldn't be offended, I'd think it was a little odd, but if I liked bond I'd still watch it to see if it's pulled off well if anything.

Then again folks seemed to like Elementary where a Chinese-American girl played Watson, normally again..an upper class white dude, so...what the **** do I know anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Tom Hardy >>>>>>

If Ibis is picked ahead of Tom then it's just something to please the black people.

Nobody in their right mind would not give Tom Hardy the role.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutellme)
    I think if Bond is black, it is because the producers like Idris as he is a competent actor and has the right charisma? So no, not just for the sake of having a black one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Not that I care much about the series but although you can't compare fiction to reality, if the fictions narrative is very strong/clear in how it portrays a character, their race, build, personality etc, then it does seem prudent to match it if its a popular ongoing franchise. Bond is an upper class white guy..that's how he\s always been portrayed, I got no issue personally with a black guy playing him, but I do understand why some might be annoyed, just as anyone who really enjoys a certain fictional series might be miffed if the main character has their gender, ethnicity or background totally altered for the cinema when it's historical or important to the plot.

I mean I suppose a comparison might be if they re-made the A-team and B.A. Baracus was played by Steve Buscemi, from a pure acting standpoint he's an actor...could probably do bad attitude in your face soldier, but B.A Baracus is completely associated now as a bulky black guy due to Mr. T, a lot of followers would expect the casting to bring in someone to fit a similar physical presence. Or lets say South Park was made into a movie with live acting, you'd probably not expect Michael Berryman to star as "Chef", yeah again technically he could act the role, but he doesn't fit the fictional bio of the character, which has existed for years and who's ethnicity plays a basis on the plots he's involved in.

I think some roles should just be played by those who fit the bill, I wouldn't expect a white guy to play Ellis "Red" in a re-made Shawshank redemption for instance.

I wouldn't be offended, I'd think it was a little odd, but if I liked bond I'd still watch it to see if it's pulled off well if anything.

Then again folks seemed to like Elementary where a Chinese-American girl played Watson, normally again..an upper class white dude, so...what the **** do I know anyway?
    Seeing as all the characters you listed were stereotypical token roles it would make sense that whitewashing them would raise eyebrows, as no black characters would be left anyway. It's not a good comparison. Lmao.

ReputationRep:
    Judi Dench can play M but Vinny Jones or Sean Bean could not, because what defines M is his/her relationship to the British establishment. A black actor could play Bond but not a woman or an "out" gay one could not because the major thing that defines Bond is not his race (his Scottishness is incidental) but his relationship to women; particularly the "Bond Formula" of two women on his side and one woman against him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zander01)
    And how does being white make a difference to being black?

You see, your idiotic logic isn't working vey well here because a short, fat elderly black women probably couldnt have the skills to be a spy and certainly couldn't be a womaniser could they?

At least try and use some common sense
    Maybe she'd be the perfect spy as no-one would suspect her, but i still don't want as James Bond. Also, fyi most of James Bond's adventures are not indicative of a real life spy...

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.