Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I think for a second we just need t stand back and think for a moment what would happen. if this were the other way around, and I shall mix several things together for added emphasis. Now, suppose that Bond had originally beer described as a black lesbian, how severe would the outcry be if it were suggested they become a white heterosexual male? They would be hounded by the PC police for removing a woman from a prominent role for a mate, removing a black for a white, LGBT for non LGBT.

In all for more blacks, women etc in leading roles, even if TV is going a bit OTT about it so as not to offend, but not with long standing clearly defined roles. I eon live without He Scottish Bond, after all, oh English Bond will be a hell of a lot easier and kinda explainable, but blacking him up would be like making hamlet female.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Will not watch...

it's like having a black guy play superman, or a female gal play doctor who, or a white guy play muhammad ali

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Modern Casanova)
    I agree with Arkasia ... it seems like a poor attempt of a political correctness stunt. It won't be too long before James Bond becomes Jane Bond.
    I wouldn't be surprised, they've already turned Thor into a woman

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tupper_ware)
    Neither is this impossible, and it's not like all the Bond movies have stuck or made reference to this past.
    Agreed, but when the producers deviate too much from the back story it turns off the core of the fan base.

Let's go the whole hog. Jemima Bond, disabled, ethnic minority mother living on benefits in a housing estate in Hull.......she's also a Spy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I think for a second we just need t stand back and think for a moment what would happen. if this were the other way around, and I shall mix several things together for added emphasis. Now, suppose that Bond had originally beer described as a black lesbian, how severe would the outcry be if it were suggested they become a white heterosexual male? They would be hounded by the PC police for removing a woman from a prominent role for a mate, removing a black for a white, LGBT for non LGBT.

In all for more blacks, women etc in leading roles, even if TV is going a bit OTT about it so as not to offend, but not with long standing clearly defined roles. I eon live without He Scottish Bond, after all, oh English Bond will be a hell of a lot easier and kinda explainable, but blacking him up would be like making hamlet female.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Agreed, but when the producers deviate too much from the back story it turns off the core of the fan base.

Let's go the whole hog. Jemima Bond, disabled, ethnic minority mother living on benefits in a housing estate in Hull.......she's also a Spy.
    There are differences in the actions of a lesbian and a hetrosexual. There are differences in the actions of a female and a male. There are no differences in the actions of a Black person and a White person apart from the colour of skin.
    No changes to the story are made by making Bond black. Changes have to be made to make Bond female or Homosexual. If Daniel Craig were to be Black the story/movie would be exactly the same. So no it is not the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEatMuFFiNS)
    Will not watch...

it's like having a black guy play superman, or a female gal play doctor who, or a white guy play muhammad ali
    Current Captain America in the comics is Black (used to be Falcon)

According to the lore Time Lords gender can change during regeneration and the Master was a woman most recently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crystalz)
    There are differences in the actions of a lesbian and a hetrosexual. There are differences in the actions of a female and a male. There are no differences in the actions of a Black person and a White person apart from the colour of skin.
    No changes to the story are made by making Bond black. Changes have to be made to make Bond female or Homosexual. If Daniel Craig were to be Black the story/movie would be exactly the same. So no it is not the same.
    Ah, the new face of liberal tyranny. We'll change so Erving for ideological reasons even though we know it won't work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Modern Casanova)
    I can hear Ian Fleming turning in his coffin.

OK well you're obviously going to try make this a race thing when it isn't, so I see no need in responding to your question.
    How is it not a race thing though? I mean after all your objection is against the fact that someone of a different race is playing Bond?

I don't see the problem. The fact that Bond is 'white' isn't even central to the plot at all so who cares ? Political correctness has nothing to do with it stop screaming it everytime for absurd things like this. If anything it's probably profit maximisation...it reaches a wider target audience likes this and they've finally changed it a little.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, the new face of liberal tyranny. We'll change so Erving for ideological reasons even though we know it won't work.
    Typical rightwinger. Gets all melodramatic over a goddamn movie.

ReputationRep:
    Why not. White Cleopatra worked. White Prince of Persia worked. White Lone ranger worked. White Avatar worked.
    Why can't Black Bond work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEatMuFFiNS)
    Will not watch...

Last guy isn't fictional and therefore open to interpretation though

ReputationRep:
    I think personally it just feels a bit strange because it just different to what we are used to - we have never had a black James Bond before and we don't like it. We don't like change, thats a fact. I am sure that if he is good, the strange feeling will disappear quickly and it will become normal.

But I think calling those that think he should be white a racist is wrong - they are just unsettled as its different to what they know and what the character as always been.

ReputationRep:
    Bond is European(white).

ReputationRep:
    Idris has all the character traits of a good Bond. Plus he's got star quality, is a popular actor etc. He's not being considered purely for the fact he's black, people have just chosen not to disregard him on that basis alone.

They've already scrapped the physical profile with Craig so one could say appearance is no longer central to the James Bond character.

ReputationRep:
    Why not. White Cleopatra worked. White Prince of Persia worked. White Lone ranger worked. White Avatar worked.
    Dem double standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haza2012)
    I think personally it just feels a bit strange because it just different to what we are used to - we have never had a black James Bond before and we don't like it. We don't like change, thats a fact. I am sure that if he is good, the strange feeling will disappear quickly and it will become normal.

But I think calling those that think he should be white a racist is wrong - they are just unsettled as its different to what they know and what the character as always been.
    and James bond has always followed a formula too and it works. Even the new ones don't deviate too far from this.

ReputationRep:
    But Cleopatra wasn't black. There are detailed descriptions and statues made in her likeness. She was southern European skinned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capitalismstinks)
    But Cleopatra wasn't black. There are detailed descriptions and statues made in her likeness. She was southern European skinned.
    She wasn't white though. She wasn't southern European skinned. We don't actually know definitely what colour she was. She was simply Egyptian.
    Regardless my other points still stand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holmes221)
    and James bond has always followed a formula too and it works. Even the new ones don't deviate too far from this.
    Yeah, I think its a bit like when you read a book and you imagine what the characters and scenes look like, and then you watch the film - it feels strange at first because its different to what you imagined and its a little bit unsettling, but eventually you forget about it and just enjoy the film.

I think it will unsettle some people at first, but then it will become the norm I guess, the question is I suppose, do people want it to become the norm? Or is his colour of skin so intrinsic, that changing it would be like destroying his character?

ReputationRep:
    She wasn't white though. She wasn't southern European skinned. We don't actually know definitely what colour she was. She was simply Egyptian.
    Regardless my other points still stand.
    She was white-greek that is...daughter of greek occupants of macedonian decent...It is common knowledge.Wikipedia-it or something.

The incentive to cast Idris as Bond is meant to "prove a point".

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.