Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crystalz)
    She wasn't white though. She wasn't southern European skinned. We don't actually know definitely what colour she was. She was simply Egyptian.
    Regardless my other points still stand.

Thats completely historically inaccurate. She was ethnically Greek. Not half greek but a full Greek who didn't even know how to speak Egyptian. She Was almost certainly Southern European Skinned but probably much whiter because she was a direct descendent of the Ptolemy Dynesty which were notorious inbreds, like most ancient aristocracies.

This whole idea of her being black comes from this idiotic idea that because Egypt is today technically in 'Africa' then it must follow that Egyptians and its rulers must have also been black. But, in the ancient world, Sub saharan Africa was not even mapped. Its only modern Europeans which called the North and Sub saharan regions collectively 'Africa'.

The Egyptian skin colour you see today is the result of the conquering Arabs, who imported millions of Sub Saharan African slaves into the region starting in the 7th century.

ReputationRep:
    How the **** does Daniel Craig even remotely look like that? Only thing he has common with this sketch is his skin colour!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Why not. White Cleopatra worked. White Prince of Persia worked. White Lone ranger worked. White Avatar worked.
    Why can't Black Bond work?
    It wouldn't be financially successful.

Those that tinker with the franchise normally get their fingers burnt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P357)
    She was white-greek that is...daughter of greek occupants of macedonian decent...It is common knowledge.Wikipedia-it or something.

The incentive to cast Idris as Bond is meant to "prove a point".
    And you know this how? Got a source from SONY's mouth saying that was their reasoning? Or are you basing that statement on your own narrow minded views.

(Original post by MatureStudent36)
    It wouldn't be financially successful.

Those that tinker with the franchise normally get their fingers burnt.
    Excellent justification for hollywood's long term white washing, and removal of opportunities for ethnic actors.

Idris is well known name and his casting would probably widen their target audience. Since there's a high chance the film would be successful it should all be ok then right?

ReputationRep:
    Idris Elba is a great actor and has the tools to be a good Bond.

But he's black, and James Bond isn't black. Simple as that really.

ReputationRep:
    From seeing some of his films and interviews I think he'd make a good bond, I can see why they were considering him. I don't really understand the outrage considering they've changed the character a million times since the 1960s the most recent character being a blue eyed blonde which people also moaned about but got over pretty quickly after how well he played the role.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P357)
    She was white-greek that is...daughter of greek occupants of macedonian decent...It is common knowledge.Wikipedia-it or something.

The incentive to cast Idris as Bond is meant to "prove a point".
    I can't find anything to prove that but say it is true, many minority charecters are played by white people regardleess.
    The idea that Idris is not being cast due to his ability but simply to prove a point because he is black is not only unsubstantiated but it is quite racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capitalismstinks)
    Thats completely historically inaccurate. She was ethnically Greek. Not half greek but a full Greek who didn't even know how to speak Egyptian. She Was almost certainly Southern European Skinned but probably much whiter because she was a direct descendent of the Ptolemy Dynesty which were notorious inbreds, like most ancient aristocracies.

This whole idea of her being black comes from this idiotic idea that because Egypt is today technically in 'Africa' then it must follow that Egyptians and its rulers must have also been black. But, in the ancient world, Sub saharan Africa was not even mapped. Its only modern Europeans which called the North and Sub saharan regions collectively 'Africa'.

The Egyptian skin colour you see today is the result of the conquering Arabs, who imported millions of Sub Saharan African slaves into the region starting in the 7th century.
    I didn't say she was black
    This is the only one of my examples in which you can find evidence to support the fact that maybe a white person playing the character was justified. So it's the only one you have replied to. Okay Cleopatra may have been justified my mistake. How about the rest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capitalismstinks)

You must have some knowledge historians don't, none of whom have been able to conclusively prove she was full Greek as her mother is unknown. She was also documented as being able to speak Egyptian. Just throwing it out there.

ReputationRep:
    Why is this an issue.
    Tarzan is supposed to black but he's white.
    Santa is a brown man from Turkey but he's white.
    Jesus was a brown man from the middle east but he's white with blonde hair and blue eyes.
    So who cares if a man called James bond is black.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Modern Casanova)
    I don't know really ... I couldn't say yes or no to be honest. It just does seem a bit strange.

Thoughts on this?
    Although i am black, and the new james bond character would be a black brother, i disagree with this. Let him be white...white people are good compared to us blacks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    He hasn't been cast for it yet, and I hope he never is. A black James Bond just wouldn't work. That's not racist - the character has always been white and changing that just wouldn't make any sense at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BastillePompeii)
    Although i am black, and the new james bond character would be a black brother, i disagree with this. Let him be white...white people are good compared to us blacks.
    What? White people are good compared to us blacks

(Original post by RFowler)
    He hasn't been cast for it yet, and I hope he never is. A black James Bond just wouldn't work. That's not racist - the character has always been white and changing that just wouldn't make any sense at all.
    I think this is the most rational argument against him being Black. He has always been a white character but change is not necessarily a bad thing and there is no logical argument against him being Black apart from lack of familiarity. Which doesn't make much sense since the last Bond's have nothing much in common apart from colour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)
    It is racist. Stop saying it is not. At least admit it if you're going to say that. You don't have a problem with his acting skills or personal behaviour etc. it's literally just the fact that the colour of his skin is not white. Or in other words his race. Hence the word racist.

Inb4 someone will complain 'race card here' 'race card there'....sometimes it is actually racist you can't just shout down any claim of racism.

ReputationRep:
    What? White people are good compared to us blacks

I think this is the most rational argument against him being Black. He has always been a white character but change is not necessarily a bad thing and there is no logical argument against him being Black apart from lack of familiarity. Which doesn't make much sense since the last Bond's have nothing much in common apart from colour.
    If you cant beat them join them. HAHA

ReputationRep:
    I can't find anything to prove that but say it is true, many minority charecters are played by white people regardleess.
    The idea that Idris is not being cast due to his ability but simply to prove a point because he is black is not only unsubstantiated but it is quite racist.
    Well,can you throw out some good examples of when white people have been cast in roles that should have been filled by oriental people or black people maybe?
    The examples I've seen thrown around of when white people have supposedly played an ethnic character is when said character is of a middle-eastern background(i.e. Israeli jesus or the generally-quite-pale persians or arabs as a whole). I quite frankly am surprised that people would make a fuss about that sort of thing...it's quite obvious why a hollywood producer would do that(you wage on the big names when you set out to produce a box-smashing blockbuster...whilst trying to stick to the appearance of said character-i.e. you wouldn't get a blonde hollywood actor playing jesus would you?)....Bond,as a black dude,just wouldn't be believable...When you set an actor to play a different ethnicity you'll usually make sure they resemble what the character's supposed to look like to some degree...

I can't think really think of any white-washing beyond this...Hollywood-made films might have a japanese woman play a chinese woman but they won't ever cast i don't know,Frida Svensson as the empress of china or whatever...Idris is Bond is only intended to prove a point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BastillePompeii)
    If you cant beat them join them. HAHA
    Self Defeating mentality.

ReputationRep:
    Self Defeating mentality.
    Life is a *****, what can i say...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think I'll always imagine the true James Bond to look and sound like Pierce Brosnan - but I wouldn't be at all bothered if they cast a black James Bond. After all, James Bond is a changing character; for example, I would say Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig portray the character very differently.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thechillyone)
    It is racist. Stop saying it is not. At least admit it if you're going to say that. You don't have a problem with his acting skills or personal behaviour etc. it's literally just the fact that the colour of his skin is not white. Or in other words his race. Hence the word racist.

Inb4 someone will complain 'race card here' 'race card there'....sometimes it is actually racist you can't just shout down any claim of racism.
    Sometimes it is actually racist. This is not one of those times. It is only "racist" to people who've stretched the word so far in their own heads that it is far beyond its actual meaning. People seem to forget what disgusting and despicable things the word "racism" actually describes, and misusing the term like that is probably pretty offensive to people who've been through actual racism.

You can't change a character's race like that, it just doesn't work. It's about as stupid changing James Bond into a female character. Ever heard the word "continuity"?

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.