Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

ReputationRep:
    If James Bond becomes black, will he fire his Walter PPK sideways from a moving car?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Rainbow Drops-)
    If Jesus can be white, James bond can be black.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The difference between Jesus and Bond is that bond won't change his ethnicity depending on where you watch, if you watch a Bond film in Korea he will still be white British, if you watch in it South America he will still be white British, if you watch it in Africa, you guessed it, he will be white British. I also wouldn't be at all surprised if in these places if they were to make a Bond film he would be, you guessed it, white British.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't Q played by a twenty something in sky fall....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Wasn't Q played by a twenty something in sky fall....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I may remember badly, but that didn't go down to well either.

ReputationRep:
    It's stupid and doesn't make sense.

Also it's technically racist to say that we should have a black Bond, as it implies the black community needs this in order to feel more equally represented.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    It's stupid and doesn't make sense.

Also it's technically racist to say that we should have a black Bond, as it implies the black community needs this in order to feel more equally represented.
    Nonsense. You know Idris Elba has other features apart from his skin colour. He didn't get considered because he's black. Everyone here just assumes he got cast cause he is black.

ReputationRep:
    What If instead of being black,the character would be played by an Arab?! The response wouldn't be good at all

ReputationRep:
    Oh how modern!

When are we going to stop being force fed this ****?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thechillyone)
    Nonsense. You know Idris Elba has other features apart from his skin colour. He didn't get considered because he's black. Everyone here just assumes he got cast cause he is black.
    That's true, but I very much doubt they casted him and then, several months down the line, realised that he was black. It's definitely been part of their calculations because there are tons of equally talented white actors, for them to re-model such a historic character like this shows that they're willing to sacrifice 'canon' in favour of casting Elba..

I don't think he's such an exceptional actor that it makes up for the downsides of changing Bond's backstory, so that means they have ulterior motives for changing his skin colour, perhaps to channel some quality Old Spice.

Don't get me wrong, I think he'd make an excellent gentleman(?) spy, it just feels bizarre to do it with Bond, I mean the most recent Bond movie explicitly references his Scottish heritage!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    That's true, but I very much doubt they casted him and then, several months down the line, realised that he was black. It's definitely been part of their calculations because there are tons of equally talented white actors, for them to re-model such a historic character like this shows that they're willing to sacrifice 'canon' in favour of casting Elba..

I don't think he's such an exceptional actor that it makes up for the downsides of changing Bond's backstory, so that means they have ulterior motives for changing his skin colour, perhaps to channel some quality Old Spice.

Don't get me wrong, I think he'd make an excellent gentleman(?) spy, it just feels bizarre to do it with Bond, I mean the most recent Bond movie explicitly references his Scottish heritage!
    I've argued this so much on this thread I' really sorry I cba to have a proper go again but you can read through some of the other posts if you care(which I'm sure you dont haha)....I just felt obliged to correct that point one more time.

I'll just reiterate....this is a big company that is aiming to make big money with this movie. For companies like that there is no ulterior motive to money. You might not think that there is anything special about Elba but a producer or exec or however suggested this might feel like it will suit the storyline that they are considering. I don't see any reason for Sony to care about what black people think of the lack of representation of their race in their movies as long as theyre still making money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thechillyone)
    I've argued this so much on this thread I' really sorry I cba to have a proper go again but you can read through some of the other posts if you care(which I'm sure you dont haha)....I just felt obliged to correct that point one more time.

I'll just reiterate....this is a big company that is aiming to make big money with this movie. For companies like that there is no ulterior motive to money. You might not think that there is anything special about Elba but a producer or exec or however suggested this might feel like it will suit the storyline that they are considering. I don't see any reason for Sony to care about what black people think of the lack of representation of their race in their movies as long as theyre still making money.
    Haha that's fine, though technically you're not correcting anything

I think I heard an email got leaked though, where an exec was saying that Elba would damage Bond's performance abroad, in markets where black racism is a bigger issue. It may be that Sony gets drawn into all of this crap on a race issue, and are sort of forced from what might've been speculation into seriously casting Elba as a result so as to appear not racist (this godforsaken PC nonsense does my head in)

But whatever, I only wanted to say my piece, I don't really care enough to make this a protracted thing
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't care less. The next James Bond could be a Klingon for all I care.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Messiah Complex)
    . If he were a teacher you'd probably think he was a supply you could mug off
    He looks like someone who's about to mug you really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Modern Casanova)
    I don't know really ... I couldn't say yes or no to be honest. It just does seem a bit strange.

Thoughts on this?
    James bond is all about sex , and whats better than a BB*. I will leave the star to your imagination

ReputationRep:
    It's not a big deal. His race is barely pertinent to his character or the plot. And Idris has the perfect charisma for the role. I mean, he's a fictional character after all.

It's not like they are changing the race of a real person, say Pharaoh. But wait, where is all the noise for the Exodus films casting?

ReputationRep:
    While I think he'd be a great choice for a James Bond style character, I'm not terribly familiar with his other work but from the photos I've seen he looks cut out for a suave secret agent character. However, I'm not sure I can suspend belief that Idris Elba's James Bond is supposed to be the same individual as in the previous films. As with the entire film industry - the writers can just make something up. I'm perfectly OK with them doing something creative to account for the casting of an actor who looks so different to the previous actors of a particular character. Kind of like how the Doctor regenerates.

Personally I'm thinking something along the lines of the character played by Idris Elba takes the same pseudonym (I thought James Bond wasn't actually his 'real' name anyway?). He's still James Bond but not the same individual who infiltrated the Soviet Union etc so no continuity issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P357)
    I guess that's why. James Bond has always been that quintessentially British action hero that's almost like a household name...I feel like he was to embody a set of traditional qualities.I feel ethnicity is one of those and were they to change that I probably wouldn't buy into it anymore than I would buy into Jane Bond(and I'm female btw). What if you did a role-reversal,would you buy into a white martial-arts superhero set in china somewhere(the very idea makes me cringe tbh)?
    Yes because it's not like films with that very description built Chuck Norris's career from the ground up. And that doesn't sound like you're describing the Karate Kid franchise at all. Lawd, the utter lack of self-awareness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tai Ga)
    hmmm haven't seen any of the people complaining about a black james bond echoing similar sentiments regarding the all white cast of exodus, or 21, or the fact that white people were cast in the live adaptation of Avatar when literally no one is white in the cartoon, and two of the main characters were dark skinned.

The hypocrisy is amusing. Hollywood whitewashes everything it can get it's hands on lol.
    That's because no one cares about those ****ty movies. If the two leads in Bad Boys 3 were played by Daniel Radcliffe and Jesse Eisenberg, people would definitely have something to say about it. Bond is a classic franchise and some things need to remain the same

ReputationRep:
    Look I'm just going to be 100% honest; typically, people of specific races are better at acting certain ways than others. For argument's sake, the way the James Bond persona is tends to come more naturally to a white guy. However that's not to say a black or whatever race actor couldn't do it. But by changing the race you do risk altering the persona, maybe not majorly but noticeably. Ultimately my view is, if he plays the part in the way the fans will like then I don't care what race he is. But I stand by my opinion that when it comes to certain personas, some races can pull it off better than others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieC130)
    Look I'm just going to be 100% honest; typically, people of specific races are better at acting certain ways than others. For argument's sake, the way the James Bond persona is tends to come more naturally to a white guy. However that's not to say a black or whatever race actor couldn't do it. But by changing the race you do risk altering the persona, maybe not majorly but noticeably. Ultimately my view is, if he plays the part in the way the fans will like then I don't care what race he is. But I stand by my opinion that when it comes to certain personas, some races can pull it off better than others.
    Any competant actor could portray any personality, it has nothing to do with their race. Idris is known for his suaveness. Don't be silly O.o

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.