Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I understand you must get so many questions about graduate medicine and I have read a whole bunch of the topics on it however I've never found one that really answers what I need specifically.

I am currently a second year Computer Science (hereafter CS) student on track for a first but somewhere along the line I became extremely interested in medicine and decided that I want to finish my CS degree and try to get a graduate placement at a medical school.

The problem I have is that I did extremely badly at school, I hated it and I had no idea what I wanted to be when I was older, no idea what I wanted to do. So I ended up coming away with only a few GCSEs, namely, English D (This was later upgraded to a C when I did a BTEC in college), Mathematics B, and Science C (Individually I don't know, I would just presume a D in most things).

You can see how getting into a medical school with these grades would be hard.

I managed to get into my CS course by finishing school and going to college to take two BTECs (level two followed by level three) getting D* and D*D*D, respectively.

There are so many pathways I'm just not sure which one is the best to take. I could go for a Access to Medicine course but with how competitive graduate medicine is I don't think that will be enough. I also thought about simply doing a Chemistry and Biology A-level online. There are some other courses too such as Medipathways Medical Foundation.

So really, I'd just like some help on what you think the best way to start is.

(Please ignore any mistakes, it's 5:30am)

TL;DR:
    How to get a CS student into graduate medicine with literally no GCSEs in science and no science background.

ReputationRep:
    Apply for courses that do not require any A levels or GCSEs. Check entry requirement pages and contact schools that are unclear.

ReputationRep:
    TSR to the rescue - there's a really handy guide on the A Level and GCSE requirements of each medical school for GEM here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...cine_-_a_guide

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.