Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    open up something like a takeaway/restaurant ?? how do they come by thus large amount of money?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Business Angels? Venture capitalists?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heartbreakid)
    open up something like a takeaway/restaurant ?? how do they come by thus large amount of money?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Loans?
    (Original post by Enoxial)
    Hello, brother enoxial. How are you, akh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baryons)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm fine wbu?

ReputationRep:
    I'm fine wbu?
    A little ill, but i should recover within the next few days :smug:

Do you have plans on opening up your own restaurant/takeaway/business?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Loans?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    nobody gives out business loans

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    A little ill, but i should recover within the next few days :smug:

Do you have plans on opening up your own restaurant/takeaway/business?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm a little sick aswell.

I have plans for a business but less chances for it to be a takeaway because I'm not a Chef myself

ReputationRep:

I have plans for a business but less chances for it to be a takeaway because I'm not a Chef myself
    I wish you the best of luck, akh. Make sure it is completely halal and free of riba though :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I wish you the best of luck, akh. Make sure it is completely halal and free of riba though :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you two are taking the absolute piss.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    nobody gives out business loans

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is it? Ok. What if they have money saved in the bank from a previous job or what if they have rich relatives?
    you two are taking the absolute piss.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is it? Ok. What if they have money saved in the bank from a previous job or what if they have rich relatives?

No.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    are you muslim?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ^^

ReputationRep:
    How many Angels and VCs do you know investing in a local takeaway/restaurant? Even if it's successful (slim chances), it's never going to make the kind of return that would justify the risk for such investors - especially not for seed funding, but maybe when the business has proven itself and looking to grow they might be more receptive (but realistically we're talking about a restaurant that's really taken off to get their interest).

I think a far more likely source for seed funding would be (a) the three F's (friends, family, and fools), (b) commercial business loans from banks and other lenders, or (c) a combination of personal savings and government grants/incentives. The reality is that it will probably be a mixture of the three in most cases, and in the off-chance that it turns into a high-growth business then maybe maybe further funding rounds would draw upon angel capital and VC funds, as well as potentially crowdsourcing funds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    How many Angels and VCs do you know investing in a local takeaway/restaurant? Even if it's successful (slim chances), it's never going to make the kind of return that would justify the risk for such investors - especially not for seed funding, but maybe when the business has proven itself and looking to grow they might be more receptive (but realistically we're talking about a restaurant that's really taken off to get their interest).

I think a far more likely source for seed funding would be (a) the three F's (friends, family, and fools), (b) commercial business loans from banks and other lenders, or (c) a combination of personal savings and government grants/incentives. The reality is that it will probably be a mixture of the three in most cases, and in the off-chance that it turns into a high-growth business then maybe maybe further funding rounds would draw upon angel capital and VC funds, as well as potentially crowdsourcing funds.
    Thanks very helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    How many Angels and VCs do you know investing in a local takeaway/restaurant?
    We really don't know all the details, what if OP wants to open a franchise of a popular brand?

Even if it's successful (slim chances), it's never going to make the kind of return that would justify the risk for such investors

What risk? Restaurants would be one of the least risky business if the business model is bang on.

ReputationRep:
    We really don't know all the details, what if OP wants to open a franchise of a popular brand?

[/B]

What risk? Restaurants would be one of the least risky business if the business model is bang on.
    This is just wildly inaccurate. According to one of the most widely-cited studies on the subject, 61% of independent restaurants failed within 3 years, while 57% of franchise restaurants also failed by the 3 year mark. These restaurant failure figures are significantly higher than the 33% of all new businesses that were found to have closed unsuccessfully within 4 years of start up during a similar time period by another well-regarded study.

Even if the business model is "bang on", the restaurant industry is particularly vulnerable to unpredictably changing consumer demand, wider macroeconomic forces, and other external factors out of their control that make it notably risky.

Sources: http://pitchforksoptional.com/wp-con...urantsfail.pdf http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    X
    Now this is just a desperate attempt tbf.
    Pitchfork report is dated August 2005 and presents data for years 1996-1999.
    While the second source is not only outdated (table data is as old as 1989) but also is for US.

Even if the business model is "bang on", the restaurant industry is particularly vulnerable to unpredictably changing consumer demand, wider macroeconomic forces, and other external factors out of their control that make it notably risky.
    Aren't all industries vulnerable to these?

ReputationRep:
    Now this is just a desperate attempt tbf.
    Pitchfork report is dated August 2005 and presents data for years 1996-1999.
    While the second source is not only outdated (table data is as old as 1989) but also is for US.

Aren't all industries vulnerable to these?
    a) both were US-only studies, unless you're suggesting there's a reason why the UK would be completely different?
    b) the similar time periods considered, 89-92 and 96-99, had very aligned economic profiles, with drops in growth etc, so actually remain comparable
    c) no. If you mine aluminium, you're not susceptible to it going out of fashion the next year even if it's the best quality. If you make medicines, you're not susceptible to an economic slowdown taking half of your business away - people will still need the drugs. And if you're 90% of businesses and someone wrote a scathing opinion piece about your business in a newspaper, you'd probably sue them for libel; no such luck if you're a restaurant and a critic decided to publish a biting critique that could lose you much of your custom.

There's really no defending your baseless comments earlier, the restaurant industry has more uncontrolled risk and less potential rewards to reap for angels and VCs. Invest wisely in a software company or or a biotech firm and you might (just might) have a billion dollar valuation in a few years; can a restaurant ever match that potential? Nope. And is it any less risky to justify investment despite the dampened potential? Nope. Case closed.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    a) both were US-only studies, unless you're suggesting there's a reason why the UK would be completely different?
    If the country of study would've been a European one, the assumption of using it for the UK would've made much more sense.

b) the similar time periods considered, 89-92 and 96-99, had very aligned economic profiles, with drops in growth etc, so actually remain comparable
    I wouldn't be surprised even if the US cuisine today is different from US 80s and 90s let alone it being related to the UK.

c) no. If you mine aluminium, you're not susceptible to it going out of fashion the next year even if it's the best quality. If you make medicines, you're not susceptible to an economic slowdown taking half of your business away - people will still need the drugs. And if you're 90% of businesses and someone wrote a scathing opinion piece about your business in a newspaper, you'd probably sue them for libel; no such luck if you're a restaurant and a critic decided to publish a biting critique that could lose you much of your custom.
    Really don't know the purpose of this but you do know that restaurant businesses, medicine and alimunium companies have different price elasticity's?

There's really no defending your baseless comments earlier, the restaurant industry has more uncontrolled risk and less potential rewards to reap for angels and VCs.
    That's where the business model comes in.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.