Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

UKIP proven right on Romanian & Bulgarian immigration Watch

ReputationRep:
    UKIP said before borders opened that immigration from these two countries would be big & a drain on public resources and they have been proven right.

The latest figures shows that after 1 year of border being opened:
    -there are 252,000 Romanians & Bulgarians in the UK (up 50,000 in 1 year)
    -20% don't work & are reliant on British taxpayers (up 15 fold!)
    -107,000 applied for national insurance numbers in 1 year

New study by migration watch (who correctly predicted the 50,000 figure) also confirms immigrants do not contribute to the UK economy and that 90% of immigrants are low skilled

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ght-years.html

And the other parties want Ukraine, Serbia, Turkey and Albania to have free access to the UK next

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ace123)
    UKIP said before borders opened that immigration from these two countries would be big & a drain on public resources and they have been proven right.

New study by migration watch (who correctly predicted the 50,000 figure) also confirms immigrants do not contribute to the UK economy and that 90% of immigrants are low skilled

And the other parties want Ukraine, Serbia, Turkey and Albania to have free access to the UK next
    Not surprised at all. We need to be able to control our borders as unlimited immigration is simply unsustainable. Whether people like it or not UKIP have got it right - to control our borders we must withdraw from the EU.

ReputationRep:
    20% don't work? :lol: jesus christ
    not only is our welfare system pathetic, but our immigration system, along with the borderlessness of the EU where you've got very poor ex-communist countries involved? it just makes it so much worse. why didn't they listen? why couldn't they have simply protected our borders both in practice and in principle?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Ukip were certainly not right, they made outlandish claims about Bulgarian and Romanian immigration.

Migration Watch seem to have been on the money with their 50,000 a year number, personally I was actually expecting more though.

I'll have to read the report because I'm very skeptical of the 90% unskilled claim unless that's just from Romania and Bulgaria.

None of this really changes my view though. Veto the entry of new member states to the EU until they are wealthy and support the governments welfare plans for immigrants.

If I vote to leave the EU, it still won't be due to immigration.

ReputationRep:
    As long as there is a surplus (over-supply) of labour, businesses can afford to keep wages low.

ReputationRep:
    Any source that's not propaganda watch?

ReputationRep:
    I think you Brits should make living in your country and doing nothing more difficult... You can't just give money to anyone who comes and asks for it and I'm saying it as a person who lives in a poor EU country and wants to come to Britain. But I just want to start a life, work my way towards my career goals and integrate. Like if one day I ask the government to just give me money because I'm here and I want it, just throw me into the ocean.

ReputationRep:
    The proportion of unemployed Romanians is lower than that of Britons. The issue is if/when they bring dependents over after having established themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    The proportion of unemployed Romanians is lower than that of Britons. The issue is if/when they bring dependents over after having established themselves.
    that is wrong 20% of Romanians and Bulgarians are unemployed if the UK had the same rate of 20% or higher then with a working age population of around 40-45 million at least unemployment would be over 8 million! plus all the Brits who have lost work because of immigration

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...reception.html

UKIP has not been proven right. What has been 'proven' is that immigration of unskilled people who refuse to work is bad for the country. This has claim has been made by the Conservatives.

ReputationRep:
    Thread title is complete nonsense. The 50,000 a year figure has remained steady for the past few years, so opening our borders has so far had no significant effect on the numbers of Romanians and Bulgarians coming into the UK. Farage has been proven wrong. The surge he talked about has not happened.

ReputationRep:
    that is wrong 20% of Romanians and Bulgarians are unemployed if the UK had the same rate of 20% or higher then with a working age population of around 40-45 million at least unemployment would be over 8 million! plus all the Brits who have lost work because of immigration
    According to the article you linked us to, "the employment rate for Romanians and Bulgarians remains higher than the national average of 72 per cent".

ReputationRep:

The latest figures show:
    -exactly what has been predicted about 50,000 Romanians and Bulgarians a year.
    -net emigration of Brits is 50,000 a year.
    -28% of Britons don't work & are reliant on the British taxpayers.

On a more serious note:
    No sources are given for the information only what migration watch has said about a UCL report.
    The immigrants from the two countries mentioned have a greater proportion of employed than the rest of the UK.
    Just because some don't work doesn't automatically mean they are claiming benefits.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't UKIP pretty much predict a zombie apocalypse?

ReputationRep:
    Robots will take over many laborious proletarian jobs in 10-20 years or so...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Let's focus on immigration meanwhile ignoring the far, far greater amount of money lost by tax avoidance.
    Let's forget all the positive, proven impacts of immigration and also conveniently ignore all the millions of Brits who live in other European countries aswell.
    When you pick and choose what to take into account, you can 'prove' any point you want really.

ReputationRep:

1) Cameron's renegotiations will allow us to reduce total EU immigration.
    2) Cameron's renegotiations will allow us to deport unemployed EU migrants on benefits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viridiana)
    I think you Brits should make living in your country and doing nothing more difficult... You can't just give money to anyone who comes and asks for it and I'm saying it as a person who lives in a poor EU country and wants to come to Britain. But I just want to start a life, work my way towards my career goals and integrate. Like if one day I ask the government to just give me money because I'm here and I want it, just throw me into the ocean.
    People will still blame you for everything under the sun. You make good scape goats. In fact you will be seen as stealing our jobs. You can't win I'm afraid :rolleyes:

That and there are plenty of people here who work and still receive benefits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    People will still blame you for everything under the sun. You make good scape goats. In fact you will be seen as stealing our jobs. You can't win I'm afraid :rolleyes:

That and there are plenty of people here who work and still receive benefits.

I see nothing wrong in an immigrant working and receiving benefits, I think when someone works, is honest, doesn't steal etc etc they should be treated as nearly equal to a citizen until they become one if they want to. But if someone comes to make trouble and live off welfare, it's pathetic...

ReputationRep:
    I think these are interesting statistics. They suggest that:

1. A lot of Romanians and Bulgarians were able to, and did, come to the UK even without the EU free movement entitlements

2. The Romanians and Bulgarians who needed the EU movement rights at the margin were the ones we didn't want

This fits much more closely with Douglas Carswell's vision of selective but relatively open immigration, rather than the more typical UKIP view of dramatically reduced numbers across the board.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2015
Poll
Which pet is the best?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.