Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Is anyone making steps towards their goals? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking career goals but it could be anything really.

I'm going to uni (3rd year) but I've realised I've made a mistake and I'm doing the wrong subject. I have no experience to do most jobs, especially a media job when all I've been doing is administration jobs and a psychology placement.

I keep thinking that I'll start heading towards my goal once uni is over, but I should be making steps now. Plus I've been hearing about First Years who have already found internships for the summer and I have no idea how. I've been searching for summer jobs / summer camps / anything summer related and I cant find anything. I feel hopeless already.

How is everyone else doing with their career goals?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently a level 4 Wizard, so I'm getting close to my goal of Archon.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I don't really have any specific career goals, but I'm getting closer to my education ones.

ReputationRep:
    Well on another thread I said I want to reach the next rank by getting more TSR reps, and that got me 2 reps so yeah guess I am getting closer

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about the freshers - you don't know any of the circumstances of their internships.

What you realise about the job market is when you start out you're probably not going to get your dream job. What you need to do is make sure that everything you do could be moving towards it. Make sure you make the most out of every opportunity. For example, something as simple as getting a first aid at work qualification in one job could boost you above other applicants at the next job interview and be the thing that makes the difference.

If you want to start making moves to a media career at uni why not get involved in something like the uni radio/tv/newspaper? Even if you only have a few months left that is plenty of time to get involved and get a bit more of a taste of something useful to your career.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.