The Student Room Group

Never really understood the idea of getting acquainted with someone via text/online

I'm in a bit of a dating drought atm as I don't have that many new girls in my social circle, i'm not in education (deferred year) and my workplace is occupied by mostly old people.

I've met the odd girl in the club that I thought I might be able to make things work with but I've chosen not to as I fear it may have just been the alcohol talking and we wouldn't be compatible sober etc.

Anyway i've thought about the prospect of Tinder or online dating.

But one thing i've never understood is the whole prolonged texting game and getting to know people via text. All I ever really use my phone for is organising meets with family or friends and I keep conversations fairly short.

I don't get how people don't run out of things to say ( after talking about aspirations,interests etc ) and I find flirting over texts quite cringy, it doesn't really show how compatible you'd be in real life either and surely if you spend weeks getting to know someone over the phone you'd be dry of things to talk about in person ?

Anyway i'm going to give Tinder a try soon and just wondering what kind of things do people talk about :s-smilie:
If you mean talking to somebody via text who you have met before, it's one of those things where the conversation just flows. You talk about what you are doing in that moment in time, something funny you've just seen, screenshot ting funny tweets etcetc

But texting somebody I've never met before I agree is a nono
Reply 2
I'm all for it. My most successful relationship started online and I met the most amazing people online/through text too. I personally think the chances of finding your perfect match is way higher online compared to real life. Go for it!

As for the prolonged texting game - I find it easier to text than to talk.. You get more time to think twice about what you're going to say which definitely helps.

Goodluck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Olympiad
If you mean talking to somebody via text who you have met before, it's one of those things where the conversation just flows. You talk about what you are doing in that moment in time, something funny you've just seen, screenshot ting funny tweets etcetc

But texting somebody I've never met before I agree is a nono

Original post by Scarfhead
I'm all for it. My most successful relationship started online and I met the most amazing people online/through text too. I personally think the chances of finding your perfect match is way higher online compared to real life. Go for it!

As for the prolonged texting game - I find it easier to text than to talk.. You get more time to think twice about what you're going to say which definitely helps.

Goodluck :smile:

Really ? I'd think the opposite really, considering the competition and everything. You can be much more selective though I suppose.

If im honest I think it takes the fun out of getting to know someone and it misses the physical chemistry element part of it too.

If I do online dating i'd rather just keep it brief and tell them i'd like to take them out for a date them asap as the whole process of courting online is quite droll, not sure if thats against the protocol or whatever though.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Really ? I'd think the opposite really, considering the competition and everything. You can be much more selective though I suppose.

If im honest I think it takes the fun out of getting to know someone and it misses the physical chemistry element part of it too.

If I do online dating i'd rather just keep it brief and tell them i'd like to take them out for a date them asap as the whole process of courting online is quite droll, not sure if thats against the protocol or whatever though.

You get to pick out what you specifically like in a person online, rather than hope the person you met irl has those traits/beliefs etc..

Taking them out quickly could work, I suppose, but the whole courting online thing helps to establish some trust before actually meeting the person (in case he or she is a creep).
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in a bit of a dating drought atm as I don't have that many new girls in my social circle, i'm not in education (deferred year) and my workplace is occupied by mostly old people.

I've met the odd girl in the club that I thought I might be able to make things work with but I've chosen not to as I fear it may have just been the alcohol talking and we wouldn't be compatible sober etc.

Anyway i've thought about the prospect of Tinder or online dating.

But one thing i've never understood is the whole prolonged texting game and getting to know people via text. All I ever really use my phone for is organising meets with family or friends and I keep conversations fairly short.

I don't get how people don't run out of things to say ( after talking about aspirations,interests etc ) and I find flirting over texts quite cringy, it doesn't really show how compatible you'd be in real life either and surely if you spend weeks getting to know someone over the phone you'd be dry of things to talk about in person ?

Anyway i'm going to give Tinder a try soon and just wondering what kind of things do people talk about :s-smilie:

I understand what you're saying OP. The reason for the "prolonging" (or the reason I do it, anyway) is because I don't want to spend my time or money meeting someone where the conversation is dry. Via text, you can usually understand if you have something in common, or if you're struggling to speak to that person, which a lot of the time, reflects how the date is going to go - if it's silent, awkward, etc.

Also, if there's a connection with someone, you always find something to say. I'm not saying to force or strain a conversation, but one topic usually leads to another, and another, especially if you have something in common with them. To be honest, if you think that you will run out of things to say to someone, then maybe a relationship isn't for you - because you do spend a lot of time talking to one person anyway, so if you can't do that in the dating stages, it's going to be pretty similar during a relationship.
Reply 6
I amthe same
Original post by stargirl63
I understand what you're saying OP. The reason for the "prolonging" (or the reason I do it, anyway) is because I don't want to spend my time or money meeting someone where the conversation is dry. Via text, you can usually understand if you have something in common, or if you're struggling to speak to that person, which a lot of the time, reflects how the date is going to go - if it's silent, awkward, etc.

Also, if there's a connection with someone, you always find something to say. I'm not saying to force or strain a conversation, but one topic usually leads to another, and another, especially if you have something in common with them. To be honest, if you think that you will run out of things to say to someone, then maybe a relationship isn't for you - because you do spend a lot of time talking to one person anyway, so if you can't do that in the dating stages, it's going to be pretty similar during a relationship.

I echo this, in essence online dating allows you to get in contact with a large number of people and matching on tinder, you already know they reciprocate interest/find you attractive. You're able to speak to a number of people and refine who you want to take the time to get to know/who you click with. From there see if they want to meet up...good luck

(btw am a huge advocate of Tinder, it isn't all about hook ups. There are people who are on there to see what its about, meet new people etc.)
Reply 8
****, preach man.
Making small talk over text is a nightmare. Can never think of things to say.
Much prefer face to face, it's just a much better way to get to know someone.
As long as the other people i'm speaking to doesn't have the personality of a doughnut I find it very easy to talk to girls through both text and in person. I'll find anything to talk about in person, usually joke about something blah blah.
I know what you mean! Even forming friendships online is quite hard to be honest!

:frown:
Reply 12
It is part of the period of building trust in order to get them to meet you - online dating has a bad rep remember.

Once you have met them it becomes a lot easier via text - less of the 'what' questions etc and more just a flowing conversation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending