hmmm, something odd about p2 edexcel paper...

Watch
This discussion is closed.
byb3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi,

http://www.mrhughes.net/files/papers/P2/Jun03.pdf

I just got the p2 paper we did a week or so back, and I can't seem to get 2b) right, must be maths block or something.

f:x ==> x^2 - 2x + 3, 0 =< x =< 4
g:x ==> lambda*x^2 + 1

gf(2) = 16, find out lambda

well f(2) = 2^2 - 2(2) + 3
f(2) = 3
gf(2) = g(3)
g(3) = lambda * 3^2 + 1
9lambda + 1 = 16
9lambda = 15
lambda = 15/9

Now I am sure that the square bit for the function of g wasn't on the test, because I definitely got 5. Where am I going disastrously wrong?

Regards,
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Yeah that is incredibly weird because i remember the same thing. It was definitely lamda x on my paper and i got the answer as 5, and everone else on this board got 5 for their answer. How strange...

I swear the same thing happened to me in the P1 exam - one of the inequalities i'm sure had + signs but everyone ellse seemed to have got - signs.

Its just bloody weird
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I'm going to ask my school if I can have a second look at the paper i took just to make sure, because i am POSITIVE it was not lamda x^2 and the answer was definitely 5
bones
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
OH MY GOD!

I have the exact paper I sat here in front of me, and there is NO ^2!! I am staring at it now and it says

g: |--> lX + 1 (l = lambda)

That is incredible, Edexcel must have screwed up some of them. There were no 'amendments' to be made AFAIK.

......wow.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
maybe its just Mr Hughes that screwed up.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i really hope so cos if edexcel screwed up were gonna suffer for no reason
Jac
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ok now this is weird, cos i swear i had

x^2 + 2x +3 instead of x^2 - 2x + 3

and i got 15/11 for lambda. funnily, i didn't have lamba(x^2 + 1)

something v fishy is going on here.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i have the exact same paper too in front of me and the paper that i sat does not have the squared function. It doesn't matter anyway. As long as we get the right answer with our questions, we'll get full marks regardless. And i'm sure the person who posted that up just put in a squared function for the fun of it.
It'sPhil...
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I just emailed Mr Hughes and he replied confirming that it was just a transcription error and the squared sign should not have been there.

So its fine, he screwed up and we're ok. Few!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (309)
34.45%
No (588)
65.55%

Watched Threads