How to self study. Watch

Rainbow_Chick
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I am so confused ive been at uni for 5 weeks now and i know it sounds stupid but i dont know how to self study! I have been out of education for a year.
Like when you go to lectures what are you ment to do after? Help is much needed.
bluenoxid
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Read through notes, make better notes (if the ones produced are bad) read up subjects in your reading list, etc
Iscariot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you've honestly no ideas on where to begin, there are lots of study guides at bookshops you can buy which will help you massive amounts potentially. At our university we were all given 'The Study Skills Handbook' on day 1 which is quite useful from time to time.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Rainbow_Chick)
I am so confused ive been at uni for 5 weeks now and i know it sounds stupid but i dont know how to self study! I have been out of education for a year.
Like when you go to lectures what are you ment to do after? Help is much needed.
Personally I go to the pub.

Just re-read your notes, make more notes on them if necessary, read the required books making notes and then review it all in time for an exam.
Rainbow_Chick
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Thanks for the reply guys .I think i will take your advice about the study guides Iscariot
sophisti_kate
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's not that hard. File notes on lectures, read the books from the reading list and make notes from them. Get an idea of what the topic is about, get arguments and evidence. Write essays.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Check with your uni, there is a good chance that they will hold workshops on this.

Basically though, go home, look at the notes you made during the lecture and look up anything you want to expand on or did not completely understand. Do any required reading that your lecturer has set out.

When in lectures listen out for clues like "this is important" and put a huge star beside it, then read up more on that kinda thing. They give hints as to what can/will be in the exam (one of our lecturers puts everything in the notes in yellow that we may need for the exam - aint that nice?!).
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (182)
18.86%
No (582)
60.31%
Not really bothered about them (201)
20.83%

Watched Threads