Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I finished my law degree in 2010 (2:1), I am currently completing a PGCE which I should finish in June 2015.

I would love to be a law lecturer within a University and thinking of either completing a masters in law or completing the LPC full time next year.

On paper then I will have the minimum academic qualifications to teach within a University.

Has anyone got any experience or advice on how I might achieve this, or is it a case of who you know?

ReputationRep:
    I have a good friend who is an archaeology lecturer and she had to have a phd before theyd give her teaching time in her department, and even then it is quite often a case of favouritism, atleast in subjects like that. I was doing a phd but dropped as i wasnt much for the toadying up to the big wigs in the department that was required to get even a part time lecturing role, the only reason i managed to get any teaching time in a uni was when my superisor managed to claim i was an external expert coming in to teach 3rd years about project management, but it was a stretch.
    I cant speak for law but certainly in archaeology/classics etc it was a case of who you knew, what youd published and what kudos you could bring to the department... Being male seemed to help too....
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slex88)
    I finished my law degree in 2010 (2:1), I am currently completing a PGCE which I should finish in June 2015.

I would love to be a law lecturer within a University and thinking of either completing a masters in law or completing the LPC full time next year.

On paper then I will have the minimum academic qualifications to teach within a University.

Has anyone got any experience or advice on how I might achieve this, or is it a case of who you know?
    One of my friends at work wants to become a university lecturer. She studied english literature and has just done a masters in gothic literature. She has been told that they wont even consider he until she has a pHD, so she is going to complete one.

also she says that its not really about what you know, but who you know in your department. you really have to suck up to the top dogs to even get a look in.

ReputationRep:
    i can only echo what others have said i'm afraid. of all the lecturers i've had at undergraduate and postgraduate level (history and classics), i can count on one hand the ones who have had teaching qualifications. however all of them were published and most had pHDs.

a good friend of mine is currently completing her pHD with a view to becoming a lecturer. i dont know if this is universal or not, but her second year will be spent acting as a teaching assistant in undergrad classes, and in her final year she will be expected to give lecturers both on her pHD subject and other topics at both undergrad and postgrad levels. the idea of this being to prepare her for a teaching role on completion within the university. i thought the fact that shes done her undergrad, MA and pHD with the same university would count against her, but its seen as showing loyalty to the institution, and reading between the lines i think they've had her earmarked as a keeper for a while.

once your foot is in the door, progression and finding other jobs seems to be fairly simple, but getting that foot in the door is very much a case of who you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaneBaratheon)
    i dont know if this is universal or not, but her second year will be spent acting as a teaching assistant in undergrad classes, and in her final year she will be expected to give lecturers both on her pHD subject and other topics at both undergrad and postgrad levels.
    This isn't universal - I have now done 3 years of my PhD and haven't done anything like that at all. My department doesn't have undergraduates and the masters students are based at a different campus around 2 hours away from my campus. I do, however, give presentations on my work relatively regularly both at conferences and in my own department to the other PhD students and staff members.

If people want to do lecturing, make sure you take that into consideration while applying for a PhD as you won't get the opportunity to do that sort of thing everywhere.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.