Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Am I being too sensitive? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I told him that I see his point but I genuinely would have had hurt feelings because I would have felt demeaned and disrespected and I can't help that I have those feelings whether I like them or not.
    He's being weird making a joke like that to his dad, but I just find it baffling when people get upset about a hypothetical.

(Original post by Treeroy)
    I have a friend who will happily make sexual jokes to his parents, but the parents are cool with it. Maybe the dad was annoyed because it was around you? Like he doesn't want to appear immature to his son's girlfriend.
    Quite possibly. I'd never make a joke like the one in the OP to my mother, but generally she'll put up with a bit of banter. When we have a guest her tolerance goes way down, for example to swearing.

ReputationRep:
    Theres a time and a place and a family dinner is NOT appropriate at all, id be horrified if my boyfriend acted like that in front of any sort of family.
    Looks like he's just acting up, trying to come across as a "lad" but why he's trying to impress his parents like that I haven't a clue 😂

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2015
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.