Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I have horrible heavy periods ! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Of course, my first advice is to speak to your GP as they will be able to suggest different options.

This sounds pretty much exactly like me a while ago. I started my periods age 12, and they were very similar to yours. I had terrible cramps, awful, my periods were extremely heavy, and I had the exact "uterus lining" problem you described (very uncomfortable and embarrassing).

Basically, I eventually went to my doctor when they got worse and I was having periods that lasted up to 2 weeks long with only a week or two in between. My doctor put me on the pill, and they have been brilliant since that day (I was 16 when I went on the pill).
    Once I had settled into my pill, they gradually reduced down to a normal period with small cramps that last just a few days; and obviously the pill forced them to be exactly every 28 days.

Bottom line, see your GP and see what they suggest.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    You can take paracetamol with ibuprofen.

(Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    Of course, my first advice is to speak to your GP as they will be able to suggest different options.

This sounds pretty much exactly like me a while ago. I started my periods age 12, and they were very similar to yours. I had terrible cramps, awful, my periods were extremely heavy, and I had the exact "uterus lining" problem you described (very uncomfortable and embarrassing).

Basically, I eventually went to my doctor when they got worse and I was having periods that lasted up to 2 weeks long with only a week or two in between. My doctor put me on the pill, and they have been brilliant since that day (I was 16 when I went on the pill).
    Once I had settled into my pill, they gradually reduced down to a normal period with small cramps that last just a few days; and obviously the pill forced them to be exactly every 28 days.

Bottom line, see your GP and see what they suggest.
    The thing is I'm kinda against the pill. I try and avoid medicines and pills. Its a little phobia of mine.

Also the side effects sound bad.

(Original post by Apocrypha)
    Use super jumbo tampons, it may be a result of a heavy flow and a wide set vagina.
    Not funny. This is why I don't want males commenting, they're not useful in this conversation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The thing is I'm kinda against the pill. I try and avoid medicines and pills. Its a little phobia of mine.

Also the side effects sound bad.
    I've not had side affects, and most people don't. What side affects are you worried about?

The pill isn't the only option, your GP should be able to give you all of the options so that you can choose the one that's best for you. But it's likely that a lot of those options will be contraception related.

I've not had side affects, and most people don't. What side affects are you worried about?

The pill isn't the only option, your GP should be able to give you all of the options so that you can choose the one that's best for you. But it's likely that a lot of those options will be contraception related.
    Weight gain? Acne? Headaches? Aren't the symptoms like pregnancy.

(Original post by Birkenhead)
    I'm frankly amazed you're still alive, and I'm also so incredibly glad I'm not a woman. Keep your feminism; I'll keep my blood.
    hahah it really is horrible being female... but not all girls have periods as crap as mine

ReputationRep:
    Weight gain? Acne? Headaches? Aren't the symptoms like pregnancy.
    People who experience weight gain is usually a small amount, and always temporary. It's just due to water retention because of the new hormone balance, it regulates itself and goes back to normal pretty quickly.
    A tiny amount of people experience headaches, and if you do it just means you need a different pill. Going on one with less oestrogen (or even progesterone only) will solve this. (Because I used to suffer from migraines I was put on a low oestrogen pill straight away, and never had any problems).

Any small feelings that are different are temporary while the pill is very new, and once your body settles into it's new routine you won't feel different at all.

I used to have the same trouble - I ended up having to take time off school nearly every time I started my period.I went to the doctor and they prescribed me with tranexamic acid and also mefanamic acid/ibuprofen for the pain.
    It then got to a point about a year ago when these were no longer helping the symptoms and I am now on the pill which has been brilliant. I no longer feel sickly when my period is approaching and there are no severe cramps or vomiting.
    It's not right that you are suffering like this and I strongly urge you to consider taking the pill, there are many different types which can suit your needs and at this stage it would be the best option. Please go to your GP to talk about your options.

People who experience weight gain is usually a small amount, and always temporary. It's just due to water retention because of the new hormone balance, it regulates itself and goes back to normal pretty quickly.
    A tiny amount of people experience headaches, and if you do it just means you need a different pill. Going on one with less oestrogen (or even progesterone only) will solve this. (Because I used to suffer from migraines I was put on a low oestrogen pill straight away, and never had any problems).

Any small feelings that are different are temporary while the pill is very new, and once your body settles into it's new routine you won't feel different at all.
    Thanks! this makes me feel a lot better. I'm gonna do some more research about the pill and will definitely consider it.

ReputationRep:
    As people have said above - there is more than one type of contraceptive pill. If you're worried about a particular side effect your gp can recommend different types of pill, and if you find you do get side effects you can always swap. I expect it's very rare for someone to not be able to find at least one for them.

Also - I used to have the same worries about going on the pill in regards to side effects. But then realised how silly it was to be worrying about a tiny bit of weight gain etc if I went on the pill compared to the horrible cramps and massive physical effects of periods (tiredness, nausea, emotional effects etc) if I didn't! To me it seems that even if the pill came with side effects such as headaches, nausea etc at least it would be an improvement from what I suffered with with normal periods!

ReputationRep:
    I have your problem, my doctor said Paracetemol won't help but anandin or ibrupofen helps. She also prescribed me a medicine for when it gets really bad but they don't sell it anymore

ReputationRep:
    I have always had the exact same problems as op, except I started when I was 9 and mine are utterly irregular. I was on mefenamic acid at 10, the pill by 11 in order to try and regulate them. I even had two ultrasounds around year 7/8 sort of time, to check if there were serious problems- nope, I'm just that lucky.

If I were you, I'd consider the combined pill, as you can (if it's suitable for you) take it for three months straight, six months on my pill, and only have a withdrawal bleed at the end of those three/six months. If you time starting the pill right, you can use this to make sure your bleed doesn't coincide with exams, holidays etc. For me, I still have bleeding when I'm on the pill, without having missed any or taken any late, but it's relatively painless and very light, I don't mind a few days bleeding here and there.

PS. The "spotting" (bleeding while on the pill) isn't common, I just have them that bad

ReputationRep:
    I used to get cramps similar to yours (along with nausea and feeling faint). I'd take co-codamol with ibuprofen and found that helped. As others have said going on the pill can help (although I never bothered as I could only have the mini pill which can make periods more frequent/longer) and I have a friend who had very heavy periods who had an IUS fitted and it made hers much lighter, although I do understand many girls aren't keen on the idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! this makes me feel a lot better. I'm gonna do some more research about the pill and will definitely consider it.
    Good
    Obviously, your GP is the expert so seek advice from them. They should be able to tell you about the different kinds of pill and help you find the right one for you. It's quite common for the first one you try to not necessarily be right for you, so if this happens just stay calm and try another one. Once you find the right one it's worth the hassle because it will make things SO much better for years and years after that.

Good luck! You don't have to put up with such awful periods, once you've found the right solution for you, you can start enjoying your life again and not letting this get in your way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmam)
    I used to get cramps similar to yours (along with nausea and feeling faint). I'd take co-codamol with ibuprofen and found that helped. As others have said going on the pill can help (although I never bothered as I could only have the mini pill which can make periods more frequent/longer) and I have a friend who had very heavy periods who had an IUS fitted and it made hers much lighter, although I do understand many girls aren't keen on the idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got an IUS about 8 months ago and I love it. Getting it put in was, of course, uncomfortable and for a few weeks after I had period-like pains where it was settling down, since then I haven't had a single period or side effect. Lasts for 5 years too and is one of the most reliable forms of contraceptives. Although as mentioned some girls don't like the idea and it's not for everyone.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 31, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.