The Student Room Group

Healthcare/Nursing assistant interview!!

Hi All,

I know there is quite a few threads already about hca's on here (which i have read through most of them) but was wondering whether anybody has any more tips or heads up for my interview that I have this week. It's for the position of hca in acu. This is literally a dream come true to even of been shortlisted for an interview, and as cliche as this may sound, but I really really really want this job :smile:

Thank you all in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Hi,how did your interview go?
Only just seen your post and was hoping it went well.
Reply 2
Original post by Moma7*
Hi,how did your interview go?
Only just seen your post and was hoping it went well.

Hi! Thank you for asking, it went really well I think as I got the job! 😃😃😃😃

Do you have an interview coming up?
Reply 3
That's great news ������
I already got the job my DBS has just come through so awaiting my start day. It should be Feb we will have to keep in touch see how we get on. I'm on neurology ward. ������
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Which setting will your hca post be ?
Reply 5
Congratulations!!! Which hospital will you be working in? Neurology ward will definitely be interesting! I will be in Acute Care Unit. How long did it take for your DBS to come back?
Reply 6
It took 3weeks and I'm sure that was quick by dbs standards. As I've heard some are still waiting after 2months. Have you sent yours off yet. If I had to wait a long time I think I would go crazy as I want to start ASAP.
Reply 7
Looks like we have both picked lively wards :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Original post by Moma7*
Looks like we have both picked lively wards :rolleyes:

Haha! It does look like that. Which is good I think :smile:
I sent my DBS off on Monday, but still haven't received a email saying it's been assigned to somebody to check. Guess I just have to patient. Have you done anything to prepare yourself before you start? I have been looking on the RCN website, there is some really helpful reads on there :smile:
Reply 9
Yes been on RCN really good information. I was tracking my dbs every day. Hope yours is through quick too. How many hours will you be doing?
Reply 10
Original post by Moma7*
Yes been on RCN really good information. I was tracking my dbs every day. Hope yours is through quick too. How many hours will you be doing?

Thank you, I really hope so too. 37.5 and you?
Reply 11
I'm doing 23hrs and if I want to do overtime I can but will see how I get on with 23hrs to start with. I have two boys at School age and fortunate to work part time.
Reply 12
Hey jazzy I have my start day .
The 2nd of Feb.

So I need to hand my notice in at work have you got a job at the moment I've worked at mine (office) for many years and it will be strange to say goodbye.
Reply 13
That's fantastic!
Reply 14
I have my fingers crossed you will be not far behind me
Reply 15
Hi jazzy2 momma7. did any of you have experience in this kind of work befor yous got job? I currently work in care home and have for past 15 months but obviously want to progress so I have a interview Friday for nursing assistant QE hospital nhs. I just need to know what to expect and if I have much of a chance. Any advice will help!! Thankyou x
Reply 16
Original post by brianny
Hi jazzy2 momma7. did any of you have experience in this kind of work befor yous got job? I currently work in care home and have for past 15 months but obviously want to progress so I have a interview Friday for nursing assistant QE hospital nhs. I just need to know what to expect and if I have much of a chance. Any advice will help!! Thankyou x

Hi brianny!

Congrats on the interview :-)

I didn't have any professional care experience and I got the job, so I'm confident you will be absolutely fine. Most questions are scenario based, so I'm sure you will do great. Let's us now how you get on. I'm starting my induction on Monday, really looking forward to it.

Goodluck and all the best!
Reply 17
Hello brianny, I used to work in a care home many years ago and I know they like this but it isn't essential as you will be given on the job training. You do need to understand simplifying fraction's and also understand decimal's but if your rusty they do send you on a numerical course. At interview they give you a numeracy and literacy test and that will determine whether you need this. Its not that scary as I know someone got through when they had trouble hence the course.. The main thing they are looking for is common sense and good communication skills which I'm sure you have developed in your current job.
How to deal with confidentiality as well as diversity, it is very important also to make the right decisions if a patient was to disclose anything to you and to respect different cultural differences and backgrounds. And most importantly to have a caring nature as you will be required to help in personal hygiene ( something you are doing right now) I would think.
So with all that said I hope you go for it as you are pretty much there already. Let me know how you get on
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Jazzy_2
Hi brianny!

Congrats on the interview :-)

I didn't have any professional care experience and I got the job, so I'm confident you will be absolutely fine. Most questions are scenario based, so I'm sure you will do great. Let's us now how you get on. I'm starting my induction on Monday, really looking forward to it.

Goodluck and all the best!

Hey jazzy we start on the same day.
I start at 8am till 5pm we will have to post on this thread how we got on.im more excited than nervous how about you. Good luck and chat soon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending