The Student Room Group

Hopeful dentistry applicants 2017

:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You're certainly eager! Best of luck dentists (you evil, evil people :P )
Reply 2
Original post by TVIO
You're certainly eager! Best of luck dentists (you evil, evil people :P )

evil? aha
Reply 3
Original post by rumana101
evil? aha

Bringers of pain :P Nah just kiddin' I'm sure you're a lovely person
Reply 4
Original post by TVIO
Bringers of pain :P Nah just kiddin' I'm sure you're a lovely person

nice teeth in the end, so its a win, win situation:biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Jitesh
Haha was going to make a thread like this... Don't think there's that many of us though!

i know!! hardly anyone, I guess it is pretty early. Theres people in my school who don't even know what career they want to go into, and there is me like, planning out my whole life lmao.
Reply 6
Original post by Jitesh
There's about 5-6 at my school

But none of them really know the things we will have to do e.g. admission tests for certain dental schools (UKCAT and even BMAT for Leeds)...

What extracurricular stuff do you do?

- working in a charity shop
-pharmacy placement, not really linked to dentistry but took the opportunity

not much but i'll be doing more once GCSE's are over. Have you applied for work experience in the dentistry field? what extracurricular do you do?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Jitesh
just done 4 days at the dental hospital, hopefully going to be going to my dentist on Tuesday nights after my mocks are done for a bit (maybe a year) to shadow
Also going to look for week long work experience, in the summer holidays after GCSEs, in GDPs, also hopefully will be able to get to shadow a maxifacs consultant in the summer holidays too and maybe a week at my orthodontist (might wait after year 12 summer holidays for that!)

the main one (which is great for Dentistry) is Air Cadets, but I'm going to look for a care home to volunteer at, and hopefully get my DofE done! Might consider doing EPQ or just do something like debating

I did a week with British Airways at Waterside, London. Although it was amazing - got to do some IT work - I'm more interested in Dentistry.

What a-levels are you thinking of doing?

woah, you do a lot, oh yeah I've completed my bronze DofE, definately going to do silver, maybe gold too. Im hoping to do more dentistry related work experience this summer, GCSE's are my main priority at the moment. Im doing chemistry, Maths, Biology and maybe textiles (manual dexterity). What about you?
Reply 8
Original post by Jitesh
Just plans, but my dentist was fine with it, ortho was fine too - just got to confirm everything

got told to email for maxifaxs and for the day at the research labs :smile:

Biology Chemistry Physics Maths

I've not done DofE yet.. but I think I'm going to do Silver as Gold is long :redface:

Your AS choices sound good, although some institutions say choose a contrasting subject, then again your probably a very academic person.:biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Jitesh
As far as I'm aware, only UCL is the only university which has a small preference for contrasting subjects, but I may be wrong

If I were to though, I would probably do History as it's essay based yet factual (nothing against Lit!)

Not sure on that one, your probably right.
Reply 10
Original post by Jitesh
One of the TSR moderators/admins said that.. but in relation to Medicine :smile:

Although it's not the main reason I want to do Physics and Maths, but they might help for UKCAT (maths) and BMAT (maths and physics), but they are mainly ks4 knowledge. I want to mainly do them because I find them the most interesting and probably are two of my better subjects, after Biology and Chemistry :smile:

yeah true i guess, really quite scared for the UKCAT, not so good at all the shape stuff:frown:
Reply 11
yeah true i guess, really quite scared for the UKCAT, not so good at all the shape stuff:frown:

You have like a year and a half before you really need to consider UKCAT!
Are you even out of the womb yet
Reply 13
Original post by Jitesh
You have like a year and a half before you really need to consider UKCAT!

true
Reply 14
Anyone here who needs any advice or help with their future application; feel free to drop me a PM with any questions that they may have!
I'm a graduate who has applied for dentistry holding 3 interviews for 2015 entry at Leeds, QMUL and Newcastle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by jay110
Anyone here who needs any advice or help with their future application; feel free to drop me a PM with any questions that they may have!
I'm a graduate who has applied for dentistry holding 3 interviews for 2015 entry at Leeds, QMUL and Newcastle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what are your stats?
I have been thinking of doing dentistry at uni after doing work experience there.
I really hope that I become one in the future :smile:
Reply 17
what are your stats?

Apologises for the late reply to this - my stats can be seen on my profile page at the bottom
Original post by jay110
Apologises for the late reply to this - my stats can be seen on my profile page at the bottom

Hi,
Where have you done your work experience?? I have done a week at my dentist, I wanted to do more however wasn't sure where I should do it or if I should carry on in my normal dentist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just realised that your work experience is on your profile :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest