The Student Room Group

Hopeful dentistry applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Morganblue68
Hi!

Thanks, I'm hoping to get into Queen's (London), do you have any advice for being different compared to everyone else who gets the same grades as you

Work experience is the biggest thing you can use to be different compared to others. A range of work experience is better than just a couple of hours with a GDP. During my experience with the universities this year, they didn't seem to be that focused upon how much work experience I had done, or where I had done my work experience (my work experience list can be found on my profile) - they seemed to be way more interested in what I had actually learnt from my time spent shadowing. Best thing you can do is make notes whilst on work experience as they'll help you write your personal statement - DONT BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS WHILST YOU ARE ON WORK EXPERIENCE!! Another thing to point out, work experience extends far greater than just in the dental field. If I remember correctly from the open day, Leeds university for example place work experience in a holistic setting as something they look out for when selecting candidates for interview so don't just limit yourself to dental work experience. Any work experience is fantastic as long as you can link it back to why the experience has allowed you to realise dentistry is for you and why you believe it will make you an excellent dentist.

Another thing that will help you stand out is evidence of research into the dental field and where you see the future taking you.

Original post by qwerzxcv1234569
hi if you don't mind me asking what did u get for gcse and Alevels. also what would you say the minimum would be for getting in????

I did pretty badly in my Alevels and GCSEs in comparison to others but I'm a graduate with a first class honours degree in pharmacology so my Alevels and GCSEs didn't really get questioned. All the minimums can be found on the respective universities websites under their requirements criteria or on the UCAS website. I'll be perfectly honest with you - everyone who applies for dentistry will have the minimum grades required to study dentistry. Heck some of them even massively exceed the grades. The major emphasis that universities place is upon extra curricular, genuine passion for dentistry, work experience and showing the interviewer/admissions tutor that you have the ability to handle such an intensive degree as well as an intensive vocation.
Original post by jay110
Anyone here who needs any advice or help with their future application; feel free to drop me a PM with any questions that they may have!
I'm a graduate who has applied for dentistry holding 3 interviews for 2015 entry at Leeds, QMUL and Newcastle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi. I'd just like some tips on how much work experience you think is enough? Generally, how much work experience does the average dentistry applicant do?
I'd also like to ask you about any relevant extra-curricular activities. I'm not part of any clubs and have never won anything. What do you think I should join?
Also I'm aware that you need to have some basic knowledge of dentistry for the interview (e.g. the difference between NHS and public dentists etc.) Where should I get this information from? I haven't been able to find any website that gives this info without going into too much detail and confusing me
Reply 42
Original post by Wannabedentist7
Hi. I'd just like some tips on how much work experience you think is enough? Generally, how much work experience does the average dentistry applicant do?
I'd also like to ask you about any relevant extra-curricular activities. I'm not part of any clubs and have never won anything. What do you think I should join?
Also I'm aware that you need to have some basic knowledge of dentistry for the interview (e.g. the difference between NHS and public dentists etc.) Where should I get this information from? I haven't been able to find any website that gives this info without going into too much detail and confusing me

Hey, it really depends upon where you're thinking of applying to - each university puts a different level of emphasis upon each thing. Drop me a PM with the details of where you're looking to apply and I'll help you there without spamming the forum lol!
How did everybody do in their GCSE's? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I am student from Slovakia who is interested in dentistry I will be doing my school leaving examination in 2017 in may/june I want to apply to Dentistry course. Can I take the UKCAT in 2016 for 2017 entry? If I do bad in the test can I take it in 2017?
Original post by DaVinciGirl
How did everybody do in their GCSE's? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not good :'(
I got 9 As and 2Bs, no A*s :frown:
I don't think it's worth applying for dentistry :frown:
Original post by Einstein101
Not good :'(
I got 9 As and 2Bs, no A*s :frown:
I don't think it's worth applying for dentistry :frown:

That's good! Just don't apply to the unis who look at GCSE's too much, mostly university of Birmingham. Just do good in your a levels and then your grades are great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Hey guys! I thought there was a 2017 one but it turns out it was for medics, and the 2016 one was made around this time last year!

What did you guys get on your GCSEs? How much work experience have you done/got? What extra-curricular things do you do? Where are you thinking of applying?
Reply 48
anyone out there? :smile:
Hey, I want to do dentistry.
Has anyone done any work experience yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Hey, I want to do dentistry.
Has anyone done any work experience yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No not yet, still looking 😏
What abt u?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SSAA9
No not yet, still looking 😏
What abt u?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have done a week at a general practice. I'm hoping to apply to more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
I have done a week at a general practice. I'm hoping to apply to more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Already??? That's good, I need to find one soon. Also have u done anything else except from clinics? I mean like volunteering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
If you want advice on getting into dental school from start to finish maybe you'll find my site helpful: http://dentallyinclined.blogspot.co.uk/p/home.html
Original post by SSAA9
Already??? That's good, I need to find one soon. Also have u done anything else except from clinics? I mean like volunteering?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have been helping out at my sixth form like mentoring and joining with charity work. I'm helping in organising a Christmas Party of the elderly. I'm not sure what else to do? Do you have any suggestions?
Reply 55
I have been helping out at my sixth form like mentoring and joining with charity work. I'm helping in organising a Christmas Party of the elderly. I'm not sure what else to do? Do you have any suggestions?

Ahh seems good,all I know is that volunteering quite useful 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SSAA9
Ahh seems good,all I know is that volunteering quite useful 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

So what a levels are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
So what a levels are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths, biology,chemistry and geography, u?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SSAA9
Maths, biology,chemistry and geography, u?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same but instead of geography I take physics.
Is your school going to let you do As level? I have to do all four next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Same but instead of geography I take physics.
Is your school going to let you do As level? I have to do all four next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah they are and for the subjects that I'm not dropping I'll have to do the exam next year again😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest