The Student Room Group

Pinsent Masons Work Experience 2015

I'm currently in the process of applying for the Pinsent Masons work experience, but as I have never studied Law, I'm stuck on this question:
What three criteria do you think a client values most when selecting to instruct a commercial law firm? Please explain the reasons for your choices.

So far, from what I've researched I've come across Integrity, A trusted advisor and commercial judgement being three main factors a client values.
However I don't know how to develop on these three and relate it to commercial Law.
There's a max. of 1300 words.
Original post by r3cklesspixie
I'm currently in the process of applying for the Pinsent Masons work experience, but as I have never studied Law, I'm stuck on this question:
What three criteria do you think a client values most when selecting to instruct a commercial law firm? Please explain the reasons for your choices.

So far, from what I've researched I've come across Integrity, A trusted advisor and commercial judgement being three main factors a client values.
However I don't know how to develop on these three and relate it to commercial Law.
There's a max. of 1300 words.

Dear lord, 1,300 words for that question is ridiculous - even when I was applying for training contracts the limit was about 300. I can only think they're looking to see who falls into the trap of writing more for the sake of reaching the limit.

In terms of the factors you've outlined, integrity and commercial judgement are fine. What do you mean by "a trusted advisor"? Surely having the requisite traits would make the lawyer a trusted advisor, rather than that being a characteristic in its own right?

I appreciate that the answers are probably obvious to you, but you have to ask yourself why it's important for a lawyer to have integrity and spell it out. Similarly, with commercial judgement (possibly tweak this to "commercial focus"), this is necessary because law firms don't operate in a vacuum; they have to understand their clients' businesses and needs and anticipate problems before they arise.
Reply 2
It's 1300 characters, not words. Are you applying for the London office?
has anyone got a reply from the firm yet or does anyone know roughly when they reply to applicants?
Original post by catanddog101
has anyone got a reply from the firm yet or does anyone know roughly when they reply to applicants?

Hi there, on their website they say either on or before 31st March. which office have you applied for?
hello, thanks for that, and I've applied to the London office, what about you?
I got a reply today! They have offered me a place! Good luck with your application :smile:
Me too! I have a place! So happy! :smile:!
Original post by memoona123456

Did they tell you by email?
Original post by studdybuddy101
Did they tell you by email?

Yep!
Original post by memoona123456
Congratulations!! What week did they give you?
Original post by catanddog101
Congratulations!! What week did they give you?

3rd August, what about you? :smile:
If I haven't yet received an email, whilst others have confirming they have a place, does that mean I've been rejected ?
Original post by GeorgeKelly97
If I haven't yet received an email, whilst others have confirming they have a place, does that mean I've been rejected ?
no i dont think it does, you have until the 31st of march to receive a reply :smile:
i got a place too yay !! :smile:
Original post by annaosborne
i got a place too yay !! :smile:

well done! In which city? :smile:
What did your online application change to after you got your place? Because mine says Next Stage Process and IDK what that means

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending