Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There's a lad near me who's just bought a brand new clio and he's just added a turbo exhaust to it. It's so loud it give me a headache. It does my head in! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :mad:It's so loud, I can hear it about 2 streets away when I'm in my house with double glazing. does anyone else have a great hatred of loud exhuasts.

ReputationRep:
    Yes on small 4 pots.

On V8s tho...no hatred whatsoever, especially if it is a big chevy block muscle car. Can't get enough of that music.

Graham

ReputationRep:
    My mom has a loud exhaust. :| I hate it, it's really irritating.

ReputationRep:
    A loud turbo exhaust? wtf lol

On small engined 4 pots like graham said they sound crap, tbh you cant beat the sound of a tvr v8

ReputationRep:
    It depends if the exaust is there to be loud, or to aid performance. If there there to make noise they usually sound rubbish and are too loud, but a performance exaust will sound nice and be louder than normal, but not unbearable.

When i upgraded the carb + cam on my golf i fitted a full GTI exaust, stock VW parts, but for the next model up, so its a bigger bore exaust than stock, It sounds much nicer, has improved exaust flow, but isnt excesively loud, especially if you keep the revs down.

ReputationRep:
    my corolla has a superchip, turbo conversion and green induction kit and the twin jap style exhaust was calibrated by longlife to ensure it wasn't loud, but hummed a nice mellow sound.

nothing beats, however, the sound of a US muscle car. but nit is annoying, i agree, seeing stupid clio and corsa 1.0 litres with big bore exhausts and they push the accel down and it literally goes nowhere. funny funny site.

ReputationRep:
    ricers :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Only big cars warrant big exhausts. Why people fit dustbins on their Novas in place of the exhaust is beyond me. It's like, "LOOK AT ME, I'VE GOT A NAFF CAR" :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Theres a bloke that lives in the same road as my mum and dad who has a really old Lexus with a stupid exhaust on the back, its got to be the loudest thing Ive ever heard (My dad used to have a Nissan 350z and that was loud enough, but this is like something you've never heard before!). It sounds like a low flying aicraft everytime he drives past, and you can hear him coming from about a mile away!

To make it worse he goes to work at like 4am every morning and wakes everyone up. I think a lot of people have complained about it to the police from what Ive heard.

ReputationRep:
    My brother used to have a car with a stupid exhaust. He'd go to work at 7am, and rev it far too loud and wake me up. Also sending vibrations through the entire house. I hated his stupid car.

ReputationRep:
    Iv gota vw bug - flat four - standard exhaust without silencers and it produces a mellow sound - then the other day i took it off and fiited a performace manifold without a backbox... went for a drive up the local prom... sooo nice... the snd of a flat four tuned into a 2 stoke sound... u cnt beat that... apart from the 3.5 rover v8... stunning.. who agrees??

Mikael

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hontoir5189)
    apart from the 3.5 rover v8... stunning.. who agrees??
    I agree! But then, I'm ever so slightly biased.

ReputationRep:
    Well i had a landrover as my 1st car - nt a v8 :mad: - 1970 lwb with the 2.25 petrol - driving that put a smile on my face and i always wanted a v8 - if only...
    Mikael

ReputationRep:
    You can actually report them to the local Environmental Health Officers if you so wish, or even the police, as stupidly loud exhausts are now classed as anti-social behaviour. There's lots of wonderful things that can be done with these delightful people.
    1) (a personal favourite of mine) a nice £30 Ticket. "excess exhaust noise"
    2) A vehicle defect rectification slip, as most of these exhausts arnt road legal, they have to go to a garage and get a road legal exhaust fitted within 14 days.
    3) A section 59 warning for using a vehicle in a manner likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to members of the public. If they are caught using their vehicle in such a manner again within 6 months, we seize it from them no excuses

ReputationRep:
    There's nice loud and then there's just silly loud.

On my next car (2 months max) I plan to have a Magnex backbox + decat on it which is loud but not over the top. The only illegal part of that is the decat....

ReputationRep:
    I agree - a car doesnt have to be loud to sound nice - now when realy loud cars drive past me i find myself shaking my head at them... a decat should produce a nice throaty sound and increase performance aswel

ReputationRep:
    Yep, can't wait! Come MOT time just put the standard exhaust system on, job done

ReputationRep:
    Yeh... aslong as u keep the cat and leave a bit of overlap wher u cut the pipes... then clamp either side to the through tubes... job done and suposedly legal... as i sed iv got a vw bug which doesnt have a cat neway

ReputationRep:
    The law says the exhaust must pass certain regulations on sound and emissions for the MOT. If you have the knowhow to change it over in between, good for you
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Oh i hate loud exhausts, not cool at all.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.