Doxoco
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

I was looking forward to apply for the medicine leading foundation programmes. As you may know the tution fees are extreme so I called student finance england and they told me I was eligible to fund my tution fees as I am a child of a turkish worker in the UK but just not been in the UK for the past 3 years. I'm assuming that was just for the main courses not the foundation programmes. Once when I got all my documents ready and now just waiting for my IELTS results which will be coming in at the 1st of January, I called the unis that were a part of INTO and they told me that I wouldn't be able to fund my tution fees with the help of student finance England which was disappointing. The only alternative I have now is the UCL UPCSE foundation programme and due to the holidays they wont pick up. So I'm curious about whether I could use my advantage of being a british citizen to pay off the tution fees with the help of student finance. INTO doesn't really work %100 percent with its uni as UPCSE does so I'm thinking maybe there still would be a chance.

If not, would there be any other route leading to medicine other than taking the A levels ?
Ronove
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Doxoco)
Hi,

I was looking forward to apply for the medicine leading foundation programmes. As you may know the tution fees are extreme so I called student finance england and they told me I was eligible to fund my tution fees as I am a child of a turkish worker in the UK but just not been in the UK for the past 3 years. I'm assuming that was just for the main courses not the foundation programmes. Once when I got all my documents ready and now just waiting for my IELTS results which will be coming in at the 1st of January, I called the unis that were a part of INTO and they told me that I wouldn't be able to fund my tution fees with the help of student finance England which was disappointing. The only alternative I have now is the UCL UPCSE foundation programme and due to the holidays they wont pick up. So I'm curious about whether I could use my advantage of being a british citizen to pay off the tution fees with the help of student finance. INTO doesn't really work %100 percent with its uni as UPCSE does so I'm thinking maybe there still would be a chance.

If not, would there be any other route leading to medicine other than taking the A levels ?
Start over - why are you looking at these foundation year programmes in the first place? Is it because your secondary education isn't long enough compared to UK secondary education? Have you checked with any med schools whether they'll accept your secondary education and/or these courses you're looking at?

Generally the alternative to A-levels/IB is a select few Access to HE: Medicine courses, from a select few, usually specified, colleges. You need to be extremely careful in what you choose to do, a lot of things will simply not allow you to stand any chance at med school and you'll be back where you started, minus a pile of money.

I'm also not sure what you're talking about re. citizenship and residence. If you're a British citizen, your right to help from Student Finance should not expire (at least not as long as you've been living in the EU).
Doxoco
Rep:
?
I'm looking at the foundation programmes because I dont have the required qualifications I'm applying with a high school Turkish diploma.

and for the citizenship, I was born in Scotland I'm a british citizen but have just been out the UK for more than 3 years and Student Finance England considers British citizens who have left home more than 3 years international students but still are british citizens.Since my dad is still there, by simply showing my birth certificate and any taxes we've been paying in the UK would make me eligible for funding my course fees. INTO doesn't accept loans from Student Finance England so I was wondering if there was any other route for medicine.
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm looking at the foundation programmes because I dont have the required qualifications I'm applying with a high school Turkish diploma.

and for the citizenship, I was born in Scotland I'm a british citizen but have just been out the UK for more than 3 years and Student Finance England considers British citizens who have left home more than 3 years international students but still are british citizens.Since my dad is still there, by simply showing my birth certificate and any taxes we've been paying in the UK would make me eligible for funding my course fees. INTO doesn't accept loans from Student Finance England so I was wondering if there was any other route for medicine.
1. You would never be considered an international student if you are a British citizen (are you sure you're not thinking of being considered an independent student, with the three year thing?) - you might be treated on the same basis as EU students if you've not just been elsewhere within the EEA on a temporary basis after being 'ordinarily resident' in England, though... on which note...

2. If you were born in Scotland, should you even be talking to Student Finance England? Did you live in England rather than Scotland before you moved away?

3. I would have thought the majority of the kinds of courses you're looking at are not at all eligible for help from Student Finance. They're not university-level qualifications.

4. Have you asked any medical schools what they actually make of your Turkish qualifications and whether you'd be able to apply directly with them?

5. When people talk about 'foundation programmes' re. Medicine, they're usually talking about the six-year courses with an extra year on the front. Not the kind of thing you're looking at. Are you looking at these courses specifically because your Turkish education is deemed by UK universities to be a year too short compared to other EU high school qualifications (I have experience of this occasionally being the case, I do not know about Turkey's education system though, the only cases I've seen were from South Asia)? Or are you simply looking at something that might be an option instead of A-levels (or both, I suppose)?

6. I have just looked up INTO, having never heard of it before (ie it's never been mentioned on here to my knowledge - I'm here enough). This is not a programme aimed at you! I cannot stress this enough. This is aimed at rich students from much farther flung countries than Turkey who wish to study in the UK etc. The INTO Foundation year at Newcastle doesn't allow entry to a medical degree, and the St George's one only allows access to a special international version of the medical degree. This is not appropriate for you at all.

7. If you know for sure that you cannot apply with your Turkish qualifications then either do GCSEs/A-levels as necessary or find an accepted Access to HE course. You will need to go through UCAS with a fine-tooth comb to find out which of the latter courses are accepted where. There are not many of them that are accepted, and not all med schools accept all of them, even if they accept some (and many accept none).

EDIT: Also, you will not have access to help from Student Finance, regardless of whether you go for A-levels or Access. No-one is. Depending on your age and the level of your Turkish qualification, you could potentially be able to enrol in a Sixth Form for A-levels, though.
Doxoco
Rep:
?
There wouldn't be any way for me to apply to a med school directly I'd either have to go through A levels or apply for a foundation year programme. Entry to med schools deadline were on the 15th of October this also goes for the courses with a foundation year plus you would need A levels, Scottish diploma, Wales or the IB diploma so I wouldn't be able to meet the qualification requirements too.

Manchester Uni also does the INTO and has a foundation year leading to medicine but; as you said it's not really aimed for me. UCL runs a foundation programme called UPCSE it can lead to other top UK universities after the preparatory year yet I'm not sure if they would accept loans from Student Finance England.

The three year thing is actually me not having my GCSE or A levels as A levels take 2 years and the GCSE would also be required.It's a thing about your qualification

Being considered an EU student wouldn't really change the situation much as they dont have the qualifications I mentioned above I believe that they would also have to go through a foundation year

Some colleges do give one year intense A level courses but they also are a whole lot of money.

I will be able to cover up the tution fees after the foundation year from Student Finance England as my dad is at England. Looks like I need 20.000 GBP for this year dont have any other choice
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There wouldn't be any way for me to apply to a med school directly I'd either have to go through A levels or apply for a foundation year programme. Entry to med schools deadline were on the 15th of October this also goes for the courses with a foundation year plus you would need A levels, Scottish diploma, Wales or the IB diploma so I wouldn't be able to meet the qualification requirements too.
OK, so you simply don't have an education that is the equivalent of age 16-18 level. You will indeed need something to fill that gap. If you are not yet 19 (or possibly even if you are, but turn 20 this academic year) you will likely be able to sign up to go to school, for free, in the UK.

Manchester Uni also does the INTO and has a foundation year leading to medicine but; as you said it's not really aimed for me. UCL runs a foundation programme called UPCSE it can lead to other top UK universities after the preparatory year yet I'm not sure if they would accept loans from Student Finance England.
Manchester did not come up on INTO's site for me. I looked at UPCSE after posting my last post. Have a look at it very carefully. For one thing, it is again not really aimed at you, it's for the target group we've already mentioned. Secondly, do not trust things that say 'prepares you for Medicine, Biomedical Science, Pharmacy' etc. Look at where its students go afterwards. There is no guarantee of a place on UCL's Medicine course. The proportion of people who apply and then get a place is so poor they don't even list it alongside the other destination percentages. If you then look at other unis the students progress to, none of them have ever gone on to do Medicine at another university. From this we can essentially assume that it does not prepare you for Medicine, and that for all we know, only one student has ever got into UCL's own Medicine course after doing UPCSE. Ask them for the exact number of people who have applied to their Medicine course while doing UPCSE and got a place. Their answer might put you off.

The three year thing is actually me not having my GCSE or A levels as A levels take 2 years and the GCSE would also be required.It's a thing about your qualification
'The three year thing' you mentioned (and we were talking about) was to do with how long you said you hadn't been in the UK, and what SF said about that. Student Finance will never be dependent on whether you lack 3 years' worth of qualifications or whatever. And I'll say again, Student Finance will only support university level study. Anything you need to get to reach that point has absolutely nothing to do with Student Finance. It is not even worth calling them. It is not their area of responsibility.

Being considered an EU student wouldn't really change the situation much as they dont have the qualifications I mentioned above I believe that they would also have to go through a foundation year
If you are a British citizen who has been living in Turkey the absolute least they will do is treat you as an EU student. Unless you also have a citizenship from outside the EU and have lived there rather than within the EU during this whole time - in which case my knowledge of the whole thing will have reached its limit - you will either be treated as resident in the UK due to the limited time you've spent away, and thus be entitled to everything a home student is in terms of tuition and maintenance loans and grants, or you will be treated as an EU student, in which case you may only be entitled to tuition fee loans and no maintenance (though I'm not entirely sure how that can be legal so you may still be entitled to maintenance as well as an EU student).

All this is irrelevant though, as said, until you are at university doing your degree. Student Finance will have nothing to do with you until that point.

Some colleges do give one year intense A level courses but they also are a whole lot of money.
If you're over 19, this is one of your (limited) options. If you are not, just see about moving to the UK and go to Sixth Form and do your A-levels there. You should not have to pay anything for this in this case.

I will be able to cover up the tution fees after the foundation year from Student Finance England as my dad is at England. Looks like I need 20.000 GBP for this year dont have any other choice
You will be able to cover the tuition fees at uni because you are an EU citizen. Where your dad lives is irrelevant. EU citizens are entitled to Student Finance loans for tuition (at the very least).

As I've already said across multiple posts now, you have various options. A-levels are one. Access to He: Medicine is another. Both are a hell of a lot cheaper than £20000 and actually give you a good chance at getting into Medicine. The options you're looking at are, in my opinion, a giant waste of money and a terrible idea besides that because they're a) not aimed at you and b) appear to have either terrible chances or zero chance at being accepted by med schools.

I'm bowing out here because I think anything else I said would just be repeating myself.

EDIT: Doh! Please ignore the Student Finance information I've given about the EU etc. I completely forgot that Turkey still hasn't joined the EU. I would assume that going to school* in the UK without fees might still be an option for you if your dad is living and working there.

*By which I mean Sixth Form for A-levels, not university or Access courses, fast-track private A-level colleges etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (329)
34.63%
No (621)
65.37%

Watched Threads