The Student Room Group

I don't think I can cope with uni anymore

I just feel like dropping out. I don't have a passion for any subject at all so I chose Biology as I was good at it, it's alright. I have exams in April and I have been making notes here and there but I've only made about a third of the notes so far. I can get my head down and study really hard but I still don't feel like I'll be able tor revise everything and UNDERSTAND IT. I find the content so dull and boring, sometimes I can't even bring myself to study it. By the time I get back from uni, I'm so exhausted it's hard not to fall asleep and to force myself to revise whilst so tired.

I feel like I won't get my notes written up, even if I do, I might only understand maybe 20% of it and fail my first year because it's hard, I don't know if I can do this for another 3 years. It's stressing me out so much just looking at the sheer amount of work I have left to do, and even if I do it, I still might not pass. Sorry for rambling, I'm just so stressed and anxious at the moment. I just don't know what to do.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm pretty sure I don't even want to go into Biology when I'm older, I liked it in high school and college but university has sort of killed any interest that was there. I'm only sticking with it now as it's seen as a respected STEM subject and I've worked really hard to be at university, studying it in the first place and I don't want to throw my hard work away but at the same time I just feel like I'm not going to pass (need 40% to pass but will I even get that?!). In the past I've felt the same way about A levels and went from U's to A's but this is not A level and those past experiences don't motivate me anymore.
wow I have a similar story. but i guess it about getting done what is necessary at your own pace.

What I normally do is make a check list and then work through it a day at a time. there have been some day where i have opened my laptop and when for a break and that was me done for the day but other days i just sit down and keep at it it just really depends how motivated you are each day and on the days you know you are motivated keep going until up pass out
Reply 3
Original post by hyenas.ma
wow I have a similar story. but i guess it about getting done what is necessary at your own pace.

What I normally do is make a check list and then work through it a day at a time. there have been some day where i have opened my laptop and when for a break and that was me done for the day but other days i just sit down and keep at it it just really depends how motivated you are each day and on the days you know you are motivated keep going until up pass out

Okay, I've literally just downloaded a list of all the units broken down into different topics and will be studying a topic or two a day as they're quite big, so now at least I have a to do list of what needs to be done each day. It doesn't help that the uni lecture notes are absolutely rubbish as they tend to summarise massive concepts in a few words and are written in a really complex, hard to understand manner... on the other hand the textbook will stretch one simple concept over 10-20 pages, again all that info just isn't going to go into my brain. Frustrates me so much because I'm struggling to find usable resources even when I do sit to revise. Thank you. :smile:
Original post by Magenta96
Okay, I've literally just downloaded a list of all the units broken down into different topics and will be studying a topic or two a day as they're quite big, so now at least I have a to do list of what needs to be done each day. It doesn't help that the uni lecture notes are absolutely rubbish as they tend to summarise massive concepts in a few words and are written in a really complex, hard to understand manner... on the other hand the textbook will stretch one simple concept over 10-20 pages, again all that info just isn't going to go into my brain. Frustrates me so much because I'm struggling to find usable resources even when I do sit to revise. Thank you. :smile:

what you could do is go to your university book shop and ask for revision guides for the modulus you are struggling most with.... I study law and I recently bought these nutshell and concentrate books they really helped me, i mean they were better than the recommended text books, they got straight to the point...
Reply 5
Original post by hyenas.ma
what you could do is go to your university book shop and ask for revision guides for the modulus you are struggling most with.... I study law and I recently bought these nutshell and concentrate books they really helped me, i mean they were better than the recommended text books, they got straight to the point...

Yeah I think I'm going to go and do just that and buy some easier to understand revision guides, the lecturers keep going on and on about the same thick textbooks so I went and bought them and forced myself to use them only as I spent quite a lot on them but it's almost like they're aimed at PhD students and not first years. Thank you again!

EDIT: actually just Googling whatever topic I'm doing followed by 'lecture notes' brings up loads of lecture notes of a much higher standard and in greater detail to the ones I currently use so I might not even have to buy anything. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Something must be in the air cos I've been feeling like that. I do Finance and I do find it interesting. But uni as a whole is just dragging and I can't focus. I also don't feel mature enough. Try not to focus on how much you haven't done and think about how much you have and go from there. Learning is a gradual process and you're not meant to know everything nor will everything be covered in your exams. Relax and take a breather.:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by MissLalaxx
Something must be in the air cos I've been feeling like that. I do Finance and I do find it interesting. But uni as a whole is just dragging and I can't focus. I also don't feel mature enough. Try not to focus on how much you haven't done and think about how much you have and go from there. Learning is a gradual process and you're not meant to know everything nor will everything be covered in your exams. Relax and take a breather.:smile:

Haha I've been relaxing a bit too much this Christmas break :tongue: and this is probably why I'm panicking like crazy right now. Just going to follow a daily to do list so I get a few things completed each day and will now use better resources to revise from as well, so things are looking a little better. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Haha I've been relaxing a bit too much this Christmas break :P and this is probably why I'm panicking like crazy right now. Just going to follow a daily to do list so I get a few things completed each day and will now use better resources to revise from as well, so things are looking a little better. :smile:

I know same. My modules have changed and I don't know where to start. It's first year so it's not too demanding but it doesn't mean that we shouldn't do well. But seriously don't over stress yourself as you'll shut down. Good it honestly will do you a lot if you do it that way. Wish you the best.:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by MissLalaxx
I know same. My modules have changed and I don't know where to start. It's first year so it's not too demanding but it doesn't mean that we shouldn't do well. But seriously don't over stress yourself as you'll shut down. Good it honestly will do you a lot if you do it that way. Wish you the best.:smile:

I agree! For me this year has been a bit too relaxed in general, I mean I'm only in about 8-10 hours a week and I'm not being assessed on anything so I haven't been under any pressure at all so far and have just put work off a lot, whereas in college we were given weekly tests, loads of homework and were closely monitored so the pressure of that kept me working really hard, now it's different as I'm left to do what I want, whenever I want.

I keep forgetting the first year of my degree doesn't even count towards my degree (it's just learning the basics although we get assessed twice) but I still DO need to do well or I won't even be allowed to move onto the second year lol. Thank you and good luck to you too. :smile:
Yeah I studied biology it is sooo boring as a degree. Also I dunno if it is a true STEM subject.
Reply 11
Original post by Guy Secretan
Yeah I studied biology it is sooo boring as a degree. Also I dunno if it is a true STEM subject.

Yes it's sooo dull, it's just like I have to memorise tons of facts. My college teacher for this subject was really enthusiastic and made everything seem so interesting, but now when I'm in the lecture hall, sat for two hours staring at a black and white boring presentation with a lecturer talking about some complex concept monotonously, I actually fall asleep. I think I've done just that quite a few times actually for a few minutes so now I have to drink coffee beforehand. Even if I glance around the lecture hall, 70% of the students will be on their phones. :colondollar: I do make sure I go home and write up all the notes and teach myself though so it's sort of okay.
(edited 9 years ago)
I just feel like dropping out. I don't have a passion for any subject at all so I chose Biology as I was good at it, it's alright. I have exams in April and I have been making notes here and there but I've only made about a third of the notes so far. I can get my head down and study really hard but I still don't feel like I'll be able tor revise everything and UNDERSTAND IT. I find the content so dull and boring, sometimes I can't even bring myself to study it. By the time I get back from uni, I'm so exhausted it's hard not to fall asleep and to force myself to revise whilst so tired.

I feel like I won't get my notes written up, even if I do, I might only understand maybe 20% of it and fail my first year because it's hard, I don't know if I can do this for another 3 years. It's stressing me out so much just looking at the sheer amount of work I have left to do, and even if I do it, I still might not pass. Sorry for rambling, I'm just so stressed and anxious at the moment. I just don't know what to do.

if you don't enjoy it then there is no point of continuing it. you'll probably become more miserable..
Reply 13
You can and if you can't its ok.
Reply 14
Original post by thefreakoffreaks
if you don't enjoy it then there is no point of continuing it. you'll probably become more miserable..

I'm not really sure how I feel about it definitely. The days where I understand something really well, I think I've made the perfect decision choosing Biology, then on other days I have no idea what the lecturer is going on about and I struggle to understand what's written in the textbook, I start to question why I'm even studying it and so I haven't thought about dropping out that much simply because I tend to feel differently all the time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by SeanFM
I'd look into your sleep pattern and find out what makes you so tired. Maybe it's jus getting used to university and working and stuff - I get 23 hours a week, it really sucks and I've been exhausted over Christmas though I rarely worked, so you're not alone. But I'd advise getting that sorted, or at least trying to - chances are your quality of revision is suffering during those periods where you force yourself to work - try and get more sleep or something like that.

Also convincing yourself that you aren't going to make t is a bad idea. Think it and you'll believe it, believe it and it'll happen. Try and be positive. 4 months is quite a while to turn things around (I hope that's possible at university level). And also make use of things like counsellors and directors of studies to talk about your feelings and get professional advice.

And ultimately, you don want to waste any money at any point during uni. Not by failing the whole first year or dropping out part way through. Use that, if anything, as motivation.

My sleeping pattern is quite bad, I've slept at around 1am for years so I could try sleeping earlier. Also, I get up at 6:30am everyday to catch a 2 hour bus to university and back, and because of traffic it can take 2 and a half hours sometimes to get home at like 6pm or 8pm some days so the LAST thing I feel like doing is opening my textbook, I tend to just fall asleep due to lack of energy and being stuck on a bus for 2.5 hours lol. I barely have time to eat because my day is so busy with travelling and uni. :frown: However, I'm going to catch the train from now on so it should only take around an hour to get there and back.

Thank you so much for your advice, definitely following it. :smile:

Don't give up. You can do it. Our founder was in similar circumstances, you can make it up. x

Hi :smile:
I will point out a few things to hopefully make you feel better about this. I am in my second year of Biomedical Science degree, which is an extremely tough course. I was in your shoes last year and I think there is a post by me somewhere in the world of TSR of me hating the course and thinking of leaving :smile: So I will break this down for you:

1. First year does NOT contribute towards your actual degree class you'll graduate with (at all). You just have to pass first year, and by pass I mean get the 120 credits or whatever to continue into the 2nd year. Whether it's 40% or 99% in each module, no one cares as it does not count :smile: You need to study, obviously, but not as overhard as you think now :smile:

2. Yes, it is hard, no doubts there. I know it feels crap now because you are loaded with work and it is holiday time. Believe me it is not all as bad as you think now. Just to point out in case you ever considered this, don't try to study 24/7 either thinking it is productive as you will probably spend most of that time procrastinating, lol, and not doing what is planned. You need to write a plan, like bullet points of stuff you need to do. Manage your time well with rest and work. It is doable, trust me :smile: Your exams are in April as well so you still have your Easter break to finish off any notes you have not finished during Christmas :smile: I did that last year and worked out all right :smile:

3. Do not quit just because you think you cannot do it. Anything is doable if you manage your time well. I trained sports 3 times a week and and went to uni 5 days a week like 9-5 if not till 6pm and still did all the work. It is possible :smile: Sacrificing certain free times is fine but do not give it all up as you need to rest as well :smile: You may of course feel tired and think "I shall take a nap instead". But sometimes you need to sit down weigh things up by thinking "What is better for me right now: taking a nap (after which you will probably feel lazy; I do anyway) or writing up a lecture?" That way makes you think if you are really that deadly tired or if you are simply stressing out and trying to avoid work maybe. Sometimes stress can make you think you are tired when you really just need to keep calm, take a deep breath and concentrate :smile: I have a friend who does not believe in stress. May sound odd but she is on top of everything: uni, social life, societies, parties, sports, etc. and I admire people like that. That is a good point, actually. Asking friends for help is great. I would not have done well at some things without help from my "gang" 😜 We discuss things on Facebook over holidays if we get stuck on some lecture material or a question or whatever. You cannot do it all alone :smile:

Sorry for the looooong post, lol. I get too carried away with writing sometimes but I hope you will get back on track with what you are doing. If you quit the course then what was the point of all the effort you have put in to get there? Keep that in mind, chin up, manage your time well and best of luck 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by mj1dan2014
Hi :smile:
I will point out a few things to hopefully make feel better about this. I am in my second year of Biomedical Science degree, which is an extremely tough course. I was in your shoes last year and I think there is a post by me somewhere in the world of TSR of me hating the course and thinking of leaving :smile: So I will break this down for you:

1. First year does NOT contribute towards your actual degree class you'll graduate with (at all). You just have to pass first year, and by pass I mean get the 120 credits or whatever to continue into the 2nd year. Whether it's 40% or 99% in each module, no one cares as it does not count :smile: You need to study, obviously, but not as overhard as you think now :smile:

2. Yes, it is hard, no doubts there. I know it feels crap now because you are loaded with work and it is holiday time. Believe me it is not all as bad as you think now. Just to point out in case you ever considered this, don't try to study 24/7 either thinking it is productive as you will probably spend most of that time procrastinating, lol, and not doing what is planned. You need to write a plan, like bullet points of stuff you need to do. Manage your time well with rest and work. It is doable, trust me :smile: Your exams are in April as well so you still have your Easter break to finish off any notes you have not finished during Christmas :smile: I did that last year and worked out all right :smile:

3. Do not quit just because you think you cannot do it. Anything is doable if you manage your time well. I trained sports 3 times a week and and went to uni 5 days a week like 9-5 if not till 6pm and still did all the work. It is possible :smile: Sacrificing certain free times is fine but do not give it all up as you need to rest as well :smile: You may of course feel tired and think "I shall take a nap instead". But sometimes you need to sit down weigh things up by thinking "What is better for me right now: taking a nap (after which you will probably feel lazy; I do anyway) or writing up a lecture?" That way makes you think if you are really that deadly tired or if you are simply stressing out and trying to avoid work maybe. Sometimes stress can make you think you are tired when you really just need to keep calm, take a deep breath and concentrate :smile: I have a friend who does not believe in stress. ,ay sound odd but she is on top of everything: uni, social life, societies, parties, sports, etc. and I d,ore people like that. That is a good point, actually. Asking friends for help is great. I would not have done well at some things without help from my "gang" We discuss things on Facebook over holidays if we get stuck on some lecture material or a question or whatever. You cannot do it all alone :smile:

Sorry for the looooong post, lol. I get too carried away with writing sometimes but I hope you will get back on track with what you are doing. If you quit the course then what was the point of all the effort you have put in to get there? Keep that in mind, chin up, manage your time well and best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow don't apologise for the long post, it was so helpful and informative I don't even know what to say. You and your friend actually had and probably still have it much harder than me and you're both managing so I should be able to manage just fine, I think I'm just finding excuses like the course is too boring or I'm too tired. Also, you're right, I'm probably not even tired when I get back from uni, just feeling a bit sluggish from the long bus ride so I fool myself into thinking I'm exhausted and sleep instead of working. :tongue: So I'll just keep studying after uni and I'll get into a proper routine hopefully because if so many other students manage, there's no proper reason why I can't.

Your post was so inspiring, thank you so much for taking the time to write all that and good luck with the rest of your degree. I'm definitely saving your post so I don't forget all this advice. :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Wow don't apologise for the long post, it was so helpful and informative I don't even know what to say. You and your friend actually had and probably still have it much harder than me and you're both managing so I should be able to manage just fine, I think I'm just finding excuses like the course is too boring or I'm too tired. Also, you're right, I'm probably not even tired when I get back from uni, just feeling a bit sluggish from the long bus ride so I fool myself into thinking I'm exhausted and sleep instead of working. :tongue: So I'll just keep studying after uni and I'll get into a proper routine hopefully because if so many other students manage, there's no proper reason why I can't.

Your post was so inspiring, thank you so much for taking the time to write all that and good luck with the rest of your degree. I'm definitely saving your post so I don't forget all this advice. :colondollar:

Thank you, I am glad you got inspired :wink: And I am happy to see the more positive atmosphere rising so keep it up. Staying positive is definitely a way to success. You can do it! 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending