Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    1. In a lecture theatre for 120 people, 119 are seemingly incapable of putting their phones either off or on silent. This always seems to result in hearing the same tired Sean Paul ringing tones over and over again during class. You'd think that after one phone goes off, you'd maybe check your own to see if it's on silent, but no.

2. The people who answer their phone in class, thinking that no one can hear them chatting away if they whisper.

3. The people who are always ALWAYS late, carrying coffee, a jacket, a bag and trying to send a text message at the same time and proceed to do their best to climb over you (and it's always your row they want to get into, ALWAYS!) without seeming to have the least concern that they're 15 minutes late and the university operates a policy of students not being allowed to come into a room if they're more than 10 minutes late.

4. The people who just don't get anything, so proceed to natter away to their friend next to them how they don't get anything. Well talking to your best friend isn't helping you get it, reading your book and listening to what the lecturer is saying might.

5. The people who lean their arms on your table and slouch across it. Never mind the fact that I'm actually trying to use it, feel free to lay your cheap leather jacketed arm right across my notebook!

6. The people who say 'This is boring, I'm going home' and leave half way through the lecture carrying all their stuff with them (see 4).

7. The fact that my group is always made up of people who have no friggin idea of what on earth they're doing in a laboratory and stare at you expecting you to do all the work for them, then explain to them how they're supposed to write it into their labbook so they can get a grade they did nothing to get.

8. The fact that my lab group always contains some guy who thinks he's God's gift to women and spends the whole time making penis jokes with a pipette to try and impress some moderately good looking girl in the group.

9. The fact that the teacher's are incapable of adjusting the aircondition away from "drousy heat" or "freezing cold". 20C!!!! GOD DAMN. NOT HARD.

10. The lecturer who spends the whole time muttering to himself instead of actually talking into the microphone which are right in front of him, so you spend the whole time straining your ears to hear him.

11. The people who argue with the people at the department desk over why they can't hand in an assignment a day late even though the rules clearly state they won't accept anything if it's a second late.

12. The people who actually laugh at the lecturer's jokes.

13. The people who are incapable of doing any math what so ever, yet have decided to do a science based course. Today I had a girl in my group who could not understand "why" 100mL is a tenth of 1L, also she reasoned that if you multiply a value by 0.15 you will end up with a number bigger than with what you started with. HOW?!?!

14. The people who spend so much time telling their friends in the row in front of you how little they care, how they don't even own the books and it's week 5 of the module, how they haven't done a second's studying... so why are you paying £3,000 in tuition then exactly?

15. The university admin is incapable of doing anything smoothly. We had a classroom change last week, putting a 120 student group into a 40 student capacity classroom. Kindergardeners may find it fun sitting on the floor, I did not.

Thank God it's Friday. I bet this doesn't happen at Oxford. I feel like I'm the only one actually trying to do well on this course.

ReputationRep:
    stop being such a ****ing winger.

ReputationRep:
    blah blah blah...uni's great!

ReputationRep:
    Watch out, the ones saying they haven't done any work, don't get it, haven't got the books - they are the ones who are doing the most and will get firsts. They are trying to lull you into a false sense of security and superiority!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds horrible. I'm glad my uni's vaguely normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iscariot)
    1. In a lecture theatre for 120 people, 119 are seemingly incapable of putting their phones either off or on silent. This always seems to result in hearing the same tired Sean Paul ringing tones over and over again during class. You'd think that after one phone goes off, you'd maybe check your own to see if it's on silent, but no.

2. The people who answer their phone in class, thinking that no one can hear them chatting away if they whisper.

3. The people who are always ALWAYS late, carrying coffee, a jacket, a bag and trying to send a text message at the same time and proceed to do their best to climb over you (and it's always your row they want to get into, ALWAYS!) without seeming to have the least concern that they're 15 minutes late and the university operates a policy of students not being allowed to come into a room if they're more than 10 minutes late.

4. The people who just don't get anything, so proceed to natter away to their friend next to them how they don't get anything. Well talking to your best friend isn't helping you get it, reading your book and listening to what the lecturer is saying might.

5. The people who lean their arms on your table and slouch across it. Never mind the fact that I'm actually trying to use it, feel free to lay your cheap leather jacketed arm right across my notebook!

6. The people who say 'This is boring, I'm going home' and leave half way through the lecture carrying all their stuff with them (see 4).

7. The fact that my group is always made up of people who have no friggin idea of what on earth they're doing in a laboratory and stare at you expecting you to do all the work for them, then explain to them how they're supposed to write it into their labbook so they can get a grade they did nothing to get.

8. The fact that my lab group always contains some guy who thinks he's God's gift to women and spends the whole time making penis jokes with a pipette to try and impress some moderately good looking girl in the group.

9. The fact that the teacher's are incapable of adjusting the aircondition away from "drousy heat" or "freezing cold". 20C!!!! GOD DAMN. NOT HARD.

10. The lecturer who spends the whole time muttering to himself instead of actually talking into the microphone which are right in front of him, so you spend the whole time straining your ears to hear him.

11. The people who argue with the people at the department desk over why they can't hand in an assignment a day late even though the rules clearly state they won't accept anything if it's a second late.

13. The people who are incapable of doing any math what so ever, yet have decided to do a science based course. Today I had a girl in my group who could not understand "why" 100mL is a tenth of 1L, also she reasoned that if you multiply a value by 0.15 you will end up with a number bigger than with what you started with. HOW?!?!

14. The people who spend so much time telling their friends in the row in front of you how little they care, how they don't even own the books and it's week 5 of the module, how they haven't done a second's studying... so why are you paying £3,000 in tuition then exactly?

15. The university admin is incapable of doing anything smoothly. We had a classroom change last week, putting a 120 student group into a 40 student capacity classroom. Kindergardeners may find it fun sitting on the floor, I did not.

Thank God it's Friday. I bet this doesn't happen at Oxford. I feel like I'm the only one actually trying to do well on this course.
    I wouldn't be too sure about that. See 3, 5, 8, 10 and 15.

ReputationRep:

I do that, I just occaisionaly find them funny.

13. The people who are incapable of doing any math what so ever, yet have decided to do a science based course.

This does grate a bit. Some people on my course didn't know how to calculate a percentage, or work out a simple proportion. We're talking maths that wouldn't challenge the average ten year old.

ReputationRep:
    Wow you don't half moan do you? Why do you care so much about the people who don't understand, can't do maths or don't do any self study?

The only thing which annoys me about lectures is when people go straight to an empty row and sit in the last few seats. More people then do the same on the other end of the row leaving the whole middle section completly empty. These people then moan when they have to keep getting up to let people fill up the middle seats because there's no where else for them to sit.

ReputationRep:
    your a loser! get out more and have fun!

ReputationRep:
    Not surprising of the university of east london, i've heard all that an worse

ReputationRep:
    you need to lighten up.....it's not THAT big of a deal really, but i can get how it can be annoying sometimes, if youre not one of them ofcorse :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iscariot)

Blimey..everythings ****..wot can I say :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I have to say that people who consistently come into lectures late does get on my nerves. Our lectures have about 10-15 people in them, and there is this one guy who turns up 5-10 minutes late EVERY time. He has been doing this for 3 years. Since he knows he is always late, you would think it would dawn on him that he should leave 5-10 minutes earlier and hence be on time. I wouldn't care, but he disrupts the lecture coming in late, stopping the lecturer to ask for a handout, and then spending 5 minutes making noise ruffling through his bag to get his stuff out. Idiot.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    My pet hate in regards to lectures is when a lecturer just puts a Powerpoint presentation on and basically recites, parrot fashion, what's on it. Typically, those types of lecturers always have the most boring, monotone voice, one which induces drowsiness faster than any amount of Zopiclone.

In scenarios like that, I believe I would learn better by just going to the library and reading related books on the subject in question.

ReputationRep:
    Some people don't seem to realise a lot of this is tongue-in-cheek. I'm just rambling on about some of the small irritances in university, I don't actually lose sleep over these things but when I'm sitting in class it's just those things which make you sigh.

PS: I didn't even begin to start ranting about group work assignments

PPS: To the person who neg repped me saying I'm a **** for criticising people with poor math skills... I can't believe you'd get so offended over such a nothing comment. My comment was so far away from criticising people with dyslexia (????) that I don't know how you made that association.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, not a single one of those things has happened to me in the 4 weeks since I've been at uni.

The only thing that's annoyed me so far has been the woman who did my poetry seminar. She sounded so depressed and like she'd rather be having a rat **** in her mouth than be talking to us. She had absolutely no passion for it, just sat there and said "right ok, *insert line of poetry here*, this basically means..." in a matter of fact tone of voice. If I was doing a maths course, this would be annoying, but I'd stand it. When you're studying some of the most emotive poetry every written, however, they need to get someone who actually likes reading and discussing it.

Note to OP: I have incredibly poor maths skills and didn't feel the need to neg rep you.

ReputationRep:
    16. In a lecture theatre for 120 people, 110 ALWAYS seem to have a bad throat, and every other minute start randomly coughing around you so you cant hear anything.

(Original post by Lizj)
    Watch out, the ones saying they haven't done any work, don't get it, haven't got the books - they are the ones who are doing the most and will get firsts. They are trying to lull you into a false sense of security and superiority!
    that wouldn't be me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizj)
    This is the university of east london.

They probably aren't working and will fail.

It doesn't happen at UCL.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.