jasminemann
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Assess the ways in which the stigma of infertility is gendered. Use specific examples to illustrate your answer.

Any help with that assignment question??
Ironmike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well look at how men are supposed to be masculine and sow their seed far and wide, and how being infertile makes you less of a man etc etc. Look at how women might viewed as barren and unable to bear children etc etc. Seems pretty straight forward to me.
jasminemann
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ironmike)
Well look at how men are supposed to be masculine and sow their seed far and wide, and how being infertile makes you less of a man etc etc. Look at how women might viewed as barren and unable to bear children etc etc. Seems pretty straight forward to me.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't quite make myself too clear my post. I apologise for that. The thing I am struggling with is giving specific examples. Is there any examples you can suggest so I can get more of an idea of what kind of examples I should be using.

But thankyou for the reply that really helps
jasminemann
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ironmike)
A quick question..would you talk about IVF or just focus on infertility.
Ironmike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know very little about the subject. I'm guessing with an essay like this, you could talk about anything that you can back up with how this might make someone feel less of a man/woman. How is the stigma for someone who is on IVF? How is it for someone who has low sperm count or whatever. What is the psychological impact - I should imagine you would want to insert some studies and papers etc. Look at the male - fertile, able to get a hard on in a flash, strong, takes care of business, satisfies women all day long. Look at women, Failure if you haven't got a child, how does it define a female who cannot give birth?

I think you could write a thesis on this - I'm sure people have!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (225)
67.57%
No (108)
32.43%

Watched Threads