Population Growth - Dealing with the population boom. Watch

username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The world is currently growing at a rate of 79,000,000 people per year, more than ever before, and as more time passes that number will rapidly increase. The world population is predicted to be over 10 billion in 40 years, and will become greater and greater as the ever-growing human species continues to breed.

Along with food, water, the essential ingredient for life on this planet, is becoming an increasingly scarce resource. According to the World Bank and World Health Organization, 2 billion people lack access to clean water and 1 billion people do not have enough to even meet their daily needs.

How can a larger population be supported?
How do we ensure no one goes without?
Whose responsibility is it to lead the efforts in providing for the future?

Iggy Azalea
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Canada believes birth control needs to be emphasised, particularly in Africa.

We are currently negotiating plans to include contraception and family planning guidance in the aid we provide. Even if contraception interferes with people's values, family planning should at least be essential. To help give people a greater opportunity, we have a steady flow of immigration and will continue to help people from weaker countries.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Netherlands believes that introducing a universal one child policy would be the most effective way to manage population growth and may also help to tackle teenage pregnancy in Europe.
However eclipsing that this may be unpopular would suggest free contraception as well as talks with Islamic leaders and the pope to heve such contraceptions ordained.
Fernand126
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
[THIS POST WAS ONCE ABOUT NORWAY'S OPINION. DUE TO A SERIOUS OF CONTROVERSIAL EVENTS ON THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH COUNTRY BEING REPRESENTED SINGULARLY RATHER THAN AS PART OF THE NORDIC STATE, I SHALL NOW REPRESENT AUSTRIA.]

Austria
would like to emphasise the essential role of awareness and education in the fight against excessive population growth and how it is not possible to impose family planning without persuading the various peoples of how such a measure is beneficial to their own. Thus, Austria will continue to focus their foreign aid in formal education and Christian values - which we believe can efficiently tackle this problem simultaneously, once enough room has been given for progress.
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ireland urges other states which have not already done so to follow their lead in legalising and making easily available contraception and birth control, as well as providing comprehensive sex education, so that families are empowered to plan for their future and have children only when such an outcome is desired. We would also like to discuss the possibility of reforming foreign aid to ensure those in need are adequately supported.
Spandy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Iggy Azalea)
Canada believes birth control needs to be emphasised, particularly in Africa.
[OOC] There are already several programs for this in Africa, particularly due to the HIV-AIDS epidemic. IMHO the focus as well as the onus is on Asia.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Belgium notes that higher birth rates tend to be more prevalent in areas with higher than average levels of poverty, and so worldwide action to tackle poverty will be one way of reducing population growth.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (14)
16.09%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (6)
6.9%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (16)
18.39%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (11)
12.64%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (11)
12.64%
How can I be the best version of myself? (29)
33.33%

Watched Threads