The Student Room Group

Two year old accidentally shoots his mother dead

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bertstare
Just letting you know that you've got it exactly 100% the wrong way round

Notice how I didn't say explicitly that all forms of gun ownership are wrong. I just believe that gun ownership in its current format within the United States has many issues that need addressing.

The number of times I've seen "It's my 2nd Amendment Right!" as an argument for gun ownership in the U.S. is way too many. Not only was that law enacted at a time when the United States was in a very different position politically but it also disregards the fact that gun technology has advanced far beyond what is necessary for so-called "self-defence".

Specifically, my issues with gun laws in the U.S. pertain to the ridiculous ease of access, the obvious lack of proper training prior to ownership and the potent mix of firearms in a country that doesn't seem to have grown up yet. As you mentioned, plenty of European countries allow gun ownership among citizens yet zero seem to have the same problems with mass school shootings and accidental firings by children that the U.S. does.

It's quite obvious that something needs to change. Unfortunately, while that odious N.R.A. continue to lobby the U.S. government to prevent stricter gun laws being passed, it is very unlikely progress will be made any time in the near future.
Original post by looseseal
Notice how I didn't say explicitly that all forms of gun ownership are wrong. I just believe that gun ownership in its current format within the United States has many issues that need addressing.

The number of times I've seen "It's my 2nd Amendment Right!" as an argument for gun ownership in the U.S. is way too many. Not only was that law enacted at a time when the United States was in a very different position politically but it also disregards the fact that gun technology has advanced far beyond what is necessary for so-called "self-defence".

Specifically, my issues with gun laws in the U.S. pertain to the ridiculous ease of access, the obvious lack of proper training prior to ownership and the potent mix of firearms in a country that doesn't seem to have grown up yet. As you mentioned, plenty of European countries allow gun ownership among citizens yet zero seem to have the same problems with mass school shootings and accidental firings by children that the U.S. does.

It's quite obvious that something needs to change. Unfortunately, while that odious N.R.A. continue to lobby the U.S. government to prevent stricter gun laws being passed, it is very unlikely progress will be made any time in the near future.

Reasonable response, but the problem is it genuinely just does not work. All that arbitrary checks, limitations and restrictions do is make it harder for regular citizens to acquire their weapons. Never has there been a shred of evidence to suggest that any of these proposals deter crime in any way. America is like a giant experiment, with state by state laws varying quite a lot in terms of the ease with which citizens can buy firearms. Nothing points to tight gun control laws leading to less crime, in fact the general body of evidence seems to point in the exact opposite direction.

It would be an easy decision if the states with lax gun laws saw the most murder and mass shootings. In no way shape or form is this the case, and as mentioned the opposite seems to be true to some extent. So what argument is there really for making it more difficult and expensive for regular people to buy guns? You really think that adding in a totally arbitrary magazine capacity limit is going to stop anything? Banning AR-15 "assault weapons" is going to stop mass shootings? There's nothing to indicate a shred of truth behind these claims

America is a unique situation; just as having everyone carrying concealed guns in the UK probably would never work due to us having a vastly differing mindset regarding firearms, making it harder for citizens to get guns in the US is never going to improve their situation as well.
Original post by lent6
Firearms would eventually be taking of the criminals too.

No am not tired, are you?

That hasn't worked here in the UK. We have some of the strictest guns laws in the world. Yet we still have a gun crime problem.
Original post by DiddyDec
That hasn't worked here in the UK. We have some of the strictest guns laws in the world. Yet we still have a gun crime problem.

Our gun crime problem is hardly comparable to the US. We still have gun crime, yes, but its rate is falling year upon year according to Parliament UK. It peaked in 2002 but has decreased every year since then. So at least our gun crime issue is under control and we're seeing results. This doesn't seem to be the case in the US, and it's because they have such flexible gun laws that guns are so accessible to most. I think the US would benefit hugely from the abolition of the second amendment; the right to bear firearms for self defence can and will backfire in situations like this. This boy now has to grow up without his mother because she was carrying a gun that she probably never should have been. This wouldn't happen in the UK - and isn't that a good thing that proves our system is working?
Reply 44
Original post by DiddyDec
Yet we still have a gun crime problem.

Very very little..
How was he able to access the gun?
Original post by Annabelle-xx
How was he able to access the gun?

It was in his Mother's handbag, but what she was doing with one don't think anyone knows why.
No liberals

America should not give up their guns.

I'd love to see a liberal go tell an American that they are coming to take their guns away.

And then watch as they get filled with Bullet holes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest