Definite integral making me wanna die

Watch
white_o
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So the question is: evaluate Integral sign with 3 on the top 1 on the bottom and 2x2-6/x3 dx

So I integrated it to 2x3/3 + 3x-2 then subbed in 3 then 1 and took them away from each other. Is this the correct method?

When I do it by hand I get 46/3 as an answer when I check it using my calculator's integral thing I get 44/3, why am I getting different answers, please help ;/ thanks!
maggiehodgson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Qaiys)
So the question is: evaluate Integral sign with 3 on the top 1 on the bottom and 2x2-6/x3 dx

So I integrated it to 2x3/3 + 3x-2 then subbed in 3 then 1 and took them away from each other. Is this the correct method?

When I do it by hand I get 46/3 as an answer when I check it using my calculator's integral thing I get 44/3, why am I getting different answers, please help ;/ thanks!

I get 44/3 too

what do you get in each bracket? 18 and a third in one and 3 and two thirds in the other.
FireGarden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well somewhere along the line you're subtracting a 2/3 less than you should be. You're integration is right, just probably dodgy stuff when you plug in the numbers. Try it again, super carefully. If it's still wrong, post the working.
white_o
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by maggiehodgson)
I get 44/3 too

what do you get in each bracket? 18 and a third in one and 3 and two thirds in the other.
(Original post by FireGarden)
Well somewhere along the line you're subtracting a 2/3 less than you should be. You're integration is right, just probably dodgy stuff when you plug in the numbers. Try it again, super carefully. If it's still wrong, post the working.
Thank you both, I subbed the numbers in again for like the 1000th time and it worked finally -_- thank you both!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (676)
41.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads