The Student Room Group

Is there a higher risk of catching an sti off an older per

Is an older man in his 50's, who has had many partners in his life, more likely to have an sti than a young person? The common sense answer might be yes but thought Id ask anyway :/
Depends on the person, how careful he's been.
I've thought about this previously. I think one thing to bear in mind is that STIs don't necessarily 'accumulate', as in a case of gonorrhoea is treated and then no longer infectious - but obviously your lifetime risk of having HIV can only go up the more sexual encounters you have as you grow older. Overall, I think no - because most STIs fall in the non-accumulative camp, the determining factor will be sexual promiscuity and non-safe sex practices which are generally more prevalent in youth. Hope that makes sense.
Reply 3
Original post by i.am.lost
I've thought about this previously. I think one thing to bear in mind is that STIs don't necessarily 'accumulate', as in a case of gonorrhoea is treated and then no longer infectious - but obviously your lifetime risk of having HIV can only go up the more sexual encounters you have as you grow older. Overall, I think no - because most STIs fall in the non-accumulative camp, the determining factor will be sexual promiscuity and non-safe sex practices which are generally more prevalent in youth. Hope that makes sense.

Thats what i thought when typing the question, most sti's probably are not long term and can clear themselves. Not sure if this applies to hpv which can be spread by skin to skin contact even when using protection.

Quick Reply

Latest