Turn on thread page Beta

Starbucks pay high rent costs for prime locations that maximize their ability to capitalize on the middle-class caffeine addiction.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an American so naturally I am most comfortable in institutionalized restaurants but even I won't frequent Starbucks.

Ok ok, when I lived in China I did but only because it was the only restaurant/establishment in the city I lived in where it wasn't shocking to see white people and sometimes I just wanted to not be stared at and read a book in peace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juwel)
    You mean it's price inelastic :p: You have to specify the elasticity
    woohoo I actually know what that means, yay for my economics module =D

I've not had a starbucks for a couple of years, I prefer costa coffee!

ReputationRep:
    we have a really cheap starbucks at my work and its soooo cheap, its a quid for the massive latte

ReputationRep:
    Cool. I'm visiting Manchester for a few days soon, where's that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stick Man)
    Cool. I'm visiting Manchester for a few days soon, where's that?
    RBS. but you have to work there to get in as its a secure building.. sorry :p:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you could bring some down to me. I'll give you a 50% handling fee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thud)
    :toofunny:

I love that mentality: it's expensive therefore it must be good quality. :rolleyes:

It costs them pittance to produce a frappucino, they pay the growers **** for their beans, and then wack up the prices because they know dumb people will still buy their products. As to it being good "quality", do a little research into that burnt poor quality cheap beans anyone?

buy fairtrade coffee.
    Well said.

I don't get the whole Starbucks thing anyway. Big American company makes coffee, quadruples the price and everyone goes mad for it. Since when were Americans famed for their coffee?

ReputationRep:
    Since when were Americans famed for their coffee?
    Since Starbucks became popular, I think :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Because they are a bunch of capitalist *******s.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get the whole Starbucks thing anyway. Big American company makes coffee, quadruples the price and everyone goes mad for it. Since when were Americans famed for their coffee?
    Since they could market it better than anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    In fact, the CEO of Starbucks was interviewed by 'some guy' on an American channel only 4 or so weeks ago. The interview lasted a good while, it went over issues such as american homogenization, the guy's family life, why Starbucks got so successful, and so forth. The guy in charge of Starbucks came across as a really sound bloke....

just thought i'd tell you this!

ReputationRep:
    Starbucks came across as a really sound bloke....
    If he's a sound bloke, why isn't he paying growers fair prices for their coffee?

ReputationRep:
    isnt starbucks fair trade?

ReputationRep:
    I think some of Starbucks' brands are Fairtrade, but not their most popular ones.

ReputationRep:
    Consumers seem to think Starbucks is cool and for this reason are prepared to pay their ridiculous prices. This means Starbucks can get away with overpricing their stuff. I went in there once and the price of a basic hot chocolote was just silly. Good job I wasn't paying!

ReputationRep:
    Precisely. I haven't been in a Starbucks for months, primarily because of the price, but also becuase my awareness of harmful globalization is increasing. Which is why, if I've got the money, I'll buy things that are fair trade, and preferably not out of a multi-billion dollar company branch.

ReputationRep:
    Starbucks do stock the Innocent Smoothies, which I believe are fairtrade.

But I agree that Starbucks are over-priced and their coffee really isn't that great (not that I drink coffee anymore). I'd much rather buy fairtrade beverages.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares? It doesn't matter. It's Starbucks!

The real, important question is: Why is Iceland so cheap?

ReputationRep:
    If you want fairtrade coffee, you have to ask for it specifically. Oh and they use cows that have the Bovine Growth Hormone injected in them - lovely.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.