Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stick Man)
    I think some of Starbucks' brands are Fairtrade, but not their most popular ones.
    if it was fairtrade, you'd know it was fairtrade: they wouldn't let that go unnoticed.

As it is, it's not fairtrade on their regular coffees.

(Original post by guitargirl03)
    Starbucks do stock the Innocent Smoothies, which I believe are fairtrade.
    innocent smooties do not have the "Fairtrade" stamp (as far as I know), but according to the business, they are paying fair prices and sourcing their ingredients ethically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apricot_Bea)
    Oh and they use cows that have the Bovine Growth Hormone injected in them - lovely.
    Not in this country: BGH is banned in the EU.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You can ask for a specific Fairtrade blend at Starbucks, but it isn't available on all drinks for some reason. The normal one they give you isn't Fairtrade though

ReputationRep:
    Mostly because of the overhead costs and some stuff i.e. they have to have chic advertising, upscale presentation, upscale premises etc. and they are in some sort of a "monopoly" in their own right, so they can raise their prices to the profit maximising point.

Well, Starbucks is relatively "expensive", but not really as "expensive" that will warrant some sort of uproar or something. And the good thing is they accept debit cards

I prefer Costa Coffee, though.

ReputationRep:
    Costa Coffee? Those lot that sell them lovely Frescato things? Great, but 90%of the morons they employ don't know how to make them! (Or they've ran out ice). Not good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Physical Geographer)
    Costa Coffee? Those lot that sell them lovely Frescato things? Great, but 90%of the morons they employ don't know how to make them! (Or they've ran out ice). Not good.
    Costa branch in my area is brilliant. However, for some reason they don't accept debit cards, which is quite a fuss in the morning if I couldn't be bothered to get money from the ATM.

ReputationRep:
    And the good thing is they accept debit cards
    theorically. Don't know why, the machine is always down in my local Starbucks. Not that I care, mind you, I usually pay cash for my £1.69 Tall Americano. When I pay at all

ReputationRep:
    Btw, coffee in my college is f****** horrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessx)
    i thought starbucks was all fair trade coffee. well thats what the woman told me when i asked.
    It's all fairly traded, but only the Café Estima and Timor Lorosa'e blends are certified fair trade.

Yeah, guess where I work :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrenchGal)
    theorically. Don't know why, the machine is always down in my local Starbucks. Not that I care, mind you, I usually pay cash for my £1.69 Tall Americano. When I pay at all
    Just got new card machines, most stores had a lot of trouble with them - they didn't connect to the main tills or something. I dunno, I didn't pay much attention, just enjoyed the fact that I didn't have to faff around with the damn thing! :p:

Oh, and I've replied to your PM btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kobrakai)
    Just got new card machines, most stores had a lot of trouble with them - they didn't connect to the main tills or something. I dunno, I didn't pay much attention, just enjoyed the fact that I didn't have to faff around with the damn thing! :p:

Oh, and I've replied to your PM btw
    Cheers
    I love ordering the Timor Lorosa, because my mate who works here can't pronounce the word and gives me the evil look each time I ask for it
    But I've stopped taking it, I like the Americano better.

ReputationRep:
    i dont go to starbux for coffee...i jus love their chocolate fudge cake....which is about 16 riyals...which wud be 2.something in quids (divide 16 by 7).....and it tastes amazing!...i find that an reasonable price for a delcious slice of rich choco cake...
    but otherwise....the best coffee for me is a nice nescafe cappucino made by me....nothin else suits me....the starbucks cappucino wasnt a good experience

ReputationRep:
    lol.... yesh theyre cheaper too!

ReputationRep:
    and the costa chocolate cake is nice as well....apparently they dont sell it anymore ....... so mainly, i go to these coffee houses for their cakes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipmapped)
    If he's a sound bloke, why isn't he paying growers fair prices for their coffee?
    So getting ripped off with 'fairtrade' prices is ethical?

What the hell is ethical about us getting ripped off so some bloke we've never met in South America doesn't? Nothing really, now if BOTH people got a fair price, that would be ethical. Getting ripped off is not ethical, so I buy nestle as a protest. No, seriously. That probably makes me a '****er nationalist' in Thuds little world, in which none of us are allowed to be happy.

ReputationRep:
    lol...talkin about coffee....feel a sudden urge to have a cuppa cappucino...!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.