Here's my situation;

Watch this thread
oscaranderson
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Okay, so I am currently trying to self-teach A-level AQA psychology with one tutor who I rarely see. I am predicted an A-B grade (aiming definitely for an A).

But, this is the only science subject I am doing since GCSE. I have the opportunity to take a gap year, so I was thinking I could use it to get A-levels in maths and biology as well so I could potentially get into a better uni?

What are people's thoughts on this? I am very self motivated and have a worryingly strong passion to become a clinical psychologist as a career, so I'm willing to do whatever it takes. Has anyone else self-taught subjects like these? I'm finding psychology is going mainly fairly well, but in some topics i can't continue until I see my tutor to explain. I will be able to get a tutor for maths and biology if I decide to take them, but I'm just interested to know if this would be worth it?

I am also predicted A-A* in three art subject A-levels (Art, Graphics and Photography) - so if I achieve this I should get 4 A's by the end of this academic year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by oscaranderson)
Okay, so I am currently trying to self-teach A-level AQA psychology with one tutor who I rarely see. I am predicted an A-B grade (aiming definitely for an A).

But, this is the only science subject I am doing since GCSE. I have the opportunity to take a gap year, so I was thinking I could use it to get A-levels in maths and biology as well so I could potentially get into a better uni?

What are people's thoughts on this? I am very self motivated and have a worryingly strong passion to become a clinical psychologist as a career, so I'm willing to do whatever it takes. Has anyone else self-taught subjects like these? I'm finding psychology is going mainly fairly well, but in some topics i can't continue until I see my tutor to explain. I will be able to get a tutor for maths and biology if I decide to take them, but I'm just interested to know if this would be worth it?

I am also predicted A-A* in three art subject A-levels (Art, Graphics and Photography) - so if I achieve this I should get 4 A's by the end of this academic year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're stuck, you can also task TSR about things your confused about :P

Unfortunately, most univerisities won't really like the a levels you've currently taken. Some unis prefer people who have at least one or two science a levels. Maths and biology are definately good choices for uni level psychology.

Doing Maths and Biology in one year would be very difficult surely? (In terms of squeezing the two year a level into one year?). I'd say biology, if you worked hard enough, could quite easily be put into a one year course (since its just fact remembering), maths is fairly hard and takes time to understand the concepts.

I would highly recommend that you take A Level Statistics over A Level maths though. I'd check that your universities that your applying to accept it as a alternative to maths, but to my knowledge you take 4 stats modules and 2 "core" maths modules anyway. Alternatively, you can do A level maths, but as the two optional modules take statistics S1 and S2. Statistics a level would put you at a massive advantage. If you do it, you could even probably teach your lecturers a thing or to about stats....
oscaranderson
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So you recommend that I take a Statistics A-level? Would you say that statistics would be more favoured by the universities than a Biology A-level? I feel as though, since I'm quite interested in science, I'd be a little more motivated to study biology than statistics - but I'll do whatever subject gives me a better chance at the clinical psychology course. Have you any idea which relevant subject is easier?

Posted from TSR Mobile
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
So you recommend that I take a Statistics A-level? Would you say that statistics would be more favoured by the universities than a Biology A-level? I feel as though, since I'm quite interested in science, I'd be a little more motivated to study biology than statistics - but I'll do whatever subject gives me a better chance at the clinical psychology course. Have you any idea which relevant subject is easier?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths, Psychology, Physics, Biology and Chemistry are the only a level i know that are named to be necessary for some psychology degrees, and i dont think universities care much about which ones you take out of those 5 (even psychology isn't necessary). I'd take whichever interests you most (i didn't do biology and did absolutely fine). Some unis require two subjects that i listed there, others require 1, some say they "prefer" people with two or one. I would play it safe and do two, unless you have specific unis in mind which don't require science a levels.

In terms of usefulness for studying psychology at uni, i would say: Psychology > Statistics > Biology > Mathematics > Any essay-based subject (history/English lit) > Chemistry > Physics

I don't know about statistics A Level, i dont know anyone who has ever taken it (its a fairly rare a level) and not sure what unis would think. You might find it hard to get a stats tutor, aswell, since its fairly rare. However, its undoubtedly very useful for studying psychology, much more so that maths a level. I think it may not be named as a necessary a level because its so rare- so i would check whever you were applying that its fine to use to get in. You can study stats within maths a level though as one of the optional modules (at least for AQA maths 4 years ago that was true)
MrJAKEE
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
So far as I'm aware, Psychology has no required a levels, but they like to see a mixture of sciences (whether they be social or real sciences). I have no clue about Biology but with Maths if you have the aptitude you could easily self-teach within a year, especially with only tutors like examsolutions + hegartymaths. Your A levels aren't the most academic, but if you self taught Psychology and self taught Maths/Biology and assuming you get an A* in art (I think your most respected subject) I think you have a fighting chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (2)
100%
It went fairly well (0)
0%
It didn't go too well (0)
0%
TERRIBLE! (0)
0%

Watched Threads