VannR
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm applying for university for September 2015, and I'm still in the middle of my UCAS application. According to the UCAS website, you need to get a reference written by a tutor, teacher or someone else who is not related to you that knows you academically.

This is a big problem for me. I have been completely home-educated throughout my education and have never attended a school or college, or had any private tuition. The only person that has any academic knowledge of me whatsoever is my father; he is the only person that I can get a reference from. I have read on the UCAS website that using a family member to write a reference could result in the termination of my application, so I need some kind of guidance as to how to proceed. I either use my Dad's reference and get my application cancelled or don't apply at all because I don't have a reference!

Any help would be much appreciated!
KH94
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by VannR)
I'm applying for university for September 2015, and I'm still in the middle of my UCAS application. According to the UCAS website, you need to get a reference written by a tutor, teacher or someone else who is not related to you that knows you academically.

This is a big problem for me. I have been completely home-educated throughout my education and have never attended a school or college, or had any private tuition. The only person that has any academic knowledge of me whatsoever is my father; he is the only person that I can get a reference from. I have read on the UCAS website that using a family member to write a reference could result in the termination of my application, so I need some kind of guidance as to how to proceed. I either use my Dad's reference and get my application cancelled or don't apply at all because I don't have a reference!

Any help would be much appreciated!
You could contact the universities you are applying to, and ask them if they would consider you without a reference. If they all agree you can apply without a reference.

References are a problem for home-educated students.

I will look into this further for you. Good luck.
Lilyghz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
UCAS are online today until 4pm I think - so send them a message on facebook/Twitter to ask and hopefully they'll be prompt to get back to you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
VannR
Rep:
?
(Original post by KH94)
You could contact the universities you are applying to, and ask them if they would consider you without a reference. If they all agree you can apply without a reference.

References are a problem for home-educated students.

I will look into this further for you. Good luck.
Thank you for your reply. I will contact my chosen universities and explain my situation.
KH94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by VannR)
Thank you for your reply. I will contact my chosen universities and explain my situation.
No problem. That is the best thing you can do. Alternatively you could hire a tutor or get a family friend to write the reference. All you need is somebody with a different surname to yourself to write the reference and pretend to be your tutor. Some students have used parents who have a different surname and sometimes don't even teach them, but are teachers, and nobody finds out.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes. If I can help further, just contact me.
SlowlorisIncognito
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by VannR)
Unfortunately, universities do not have to accept you without a reference, and most will not accept a reference from a family member. The other difficulty is that if you are still doing your A-levels, normally your referee is the one to predict your grades.

Some mature students do use employers etc. as a reference. Could this be an option for you? Do you attend any groups/activities where the leader could write you a reference? Who would you use as a reference if you were applying for a job (assuming you couldn't use your dad)?

You may find it easier to apply without a reference once you have finished your A-levels and already have your grades- however, universities may still want something.
VannR
Rep:
?
(Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
Unfortunately, universities do not have to accept you without a reference, and most will not accept a reference from a family member. The other difficulty is that if you are still doing your A-levels, normally your referee is the one to predict your grades.

Some mature students do use employers etc. as a reference. Could this be an option for you? Do you attend any groups/activities where the leader could write you a reference? Who would you use as a reference if you were applying for a job (assuming you couldn't use your dad)?

You may find it easier to apply without a reference once you have finished your A-levels and already have your grades- however, universities may still want something.
Well, I already have two of my A-Levels (AA), and I am currently studying for my third which I am going to complete this year. My preferred course at RHUL as ABB requirements, so I think i might be able to negotiate it.
SlowlorisIncognito
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by VannR)
Well, I already have two of my A-Levels (AA), and I am currently studying for my third which I am going to complete this year. My preferred course at RHUL as ABB requirements, so I think i might be able to negotiate it.
The thing is, it's not just about predicted grades. I hope you are able to negotiate with them, but some universities will want a reference for everyone. This close to the application deadline, you have a bit less room for maneuver in terms of finding alternate courses.

As predicted grades are less important, I universities would be more likely to accept an employer reference or similar, so if you could suggest one or two possible people, then this might be better than saying you can't get a reference at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (408)
56.12%
I don't have everything I need (319)
43.88%

Watched Threads