The Student Room Group

In defence of White people

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Rakas21
I'm white and while I don't agree with slavery (these people are still human), I consider abandoning the empire to be one of the worst things we've done. Frankly most of Africa and the Middle East is incapable of governing themselves in a manner we would consider civil and as such id support retaking them.

If Britain got invaded using that justification would you think it's alright because it's not what they "would consider civil"?
Original post by Asurat
If Britain got invaded using that justification would you think it's alright because it's not what they "would consider civil"?

A misnomer since the west and Asia rule this world. If the Africans or Arabs invaded, they'd be slaughtered like cattle.
Reply 22
Original post by Rakas21
A misnomer since the west and Asia rule this world. If the Africans or Arabs invaded, they'd be slaughtered like cattle.

I meant if for example Russia invaded, not necessarily an African or Arab country. Nevertheless, Britian did a terrible job by bringing "civillisation" and the bible to countries like Uganda. Western ideals of superiority are one dimensional and don't help anyone if you try and force them.
Original post by DiddyDec
I will not be held responsible for something that my ancestors may have done. I have no power in changing the past.

So quite frankly I don't give a flying ****.

Except slavery and racism is a big a problem now as it ever has been.

I'm not going to blame you for the actions of your ancestors, but your (wider society as well, not just you as an individual) inaction in addressing said issues in the modern world, well, there's no escaping that.
Original post by mojojojo101
Except slavery and racism is a big a problem now as it ever has been.

I'm not going to blame you for the actions of your ancestors, but your (wider society as well, not just you as an individual) inaction in addressing said issues in the modern world, well, there's no escaping that.

They may be a problem, but not my problem. There are others who are far better equipped to deal with the issue.

I am have nothing to offer in way of a solution.
Reply 25
Original post by caravaggio2

Christ on a rope, for an idea of the way Africans treat each other, let alone Europeans given half the chance check out the YT video of Bono Harem slaughtering men like pigs and throwing them off a bridge*for simply refusing to fight for them.

That's quite the generalisation there. Anders Breivik murdered 80 people and injured another 300, but I wouldn't use that as a typical example of white Europeans. I could list many atrocities committed by white Europeans (with the help of the internet) but I know that realistically most white Europeans aren't malevolent beings blinded by ideology, considering Europe is made up of many countries and many people.
I have never personally owned any slaves. So anyone trying to condemn me based on the colour of my skin and actions of my ancestors are racist pieces of trash and can go **** themselves :smile:
Original post by PenseurRationnel
Why is slavery purely depicted as a White Christian crime given the long history of slavery by others? Many Whites in history were slaves, Arabs had a huge slave trade. Turk's ottoman empire had loads of slaves. Jews by the way were a huge part of the West's slave trade but it goes ignored because it's considered anti-Semitic. The reality is a minuscule minority of the world White population owned slaves so most had nothing to do with it. So this idea that every White person on this planet was a slave owning racist is really incredibly racist itself. Heck, a lot of poor Whites hated slavery because you know what it meant? lower wages and someone to take their jobs. I think slavery largely benefited the rich, the people who owned the industries that profited from slavery. When we talk of racism what does racism mean? Racism is almost become a codeword for White because whenever Racism is mentioned it's always to do with something a White person said or may have done. When a White cop shoots a Black person it's racism. When a Hispanic cop shoots a Black person racism has nothing to do with it in the media narrative. If White people are evil, racists when do many non-White people risk their lives to live in White countries? I think White people at pretty damn tolerant to the point they're actually suffering from it. Mass immigration has made them foreigners in their homeland and it's because most White people are kind hearted good people.

I take you are ok with the idea of non-Whites being in the White countries and take pride in the idea of an inclusive tolerant society?
They may be a problem, but not my problem. There are others who are far better equipped to deal with the issue.

I am have nothing to offer in way of a solution.

Frankly that just sounds like you trying to absolve yourself on any responsibility or capability to change the world around you.

The solution is not difficult and your unwillingness to be part of the solution is the biggest barrier to us, as a species, making the world a better place to live.
Original post by mojojojo101
Frankly that just sounds like you trying to absolve yourself on any responsibility or capability to change the world around you.

The solution is not difficult and your unwillingness to be part of the solution is the biggest barrier to us, as a species, making the world a better place to live.

What is the solution?

We should all just be nice to each other?

I'm not looking to change the world, I just want to live a happy life.
What is the solution?

We should all just be nice to each other?

I'm not looking to change the world, I just want to live a happy life.

Dr-Evil.jpg

100 Quadrillions Dollars!
Reply 31
Original post by Rakas21
I'm white and while I don't agree with slavery (these people are still human), I consider abandoning the empire to be one of the worst things we've done. Frankly most of Africa and the Middle East is incapable of governing themselves in a manner we would consider civil and as such id support retaking them.

You seem to have forgotten that the fact that most of Africa and the Middle aren't civil as a result of the intervention of whites. But ok.

Original post by Truths
You seem to have forgotten that the fact that most of Africa and the Middle aren't civil as a result of the intervention of whites. But ok.

Thank you, Judge Judy.
Original post by Truths

You think the Ottoman Empire or the tribes were peaceful and prosperous?

My general point is that bar a few exceptions the Middle East is full of military dictatorships or failed, Sharia democracies (neither of which we should tolerate). In Africa there are a tonne of corrupt governments, many of whom jumped straight into bed with the Soviets after independence.

So no, I don't think they would be any better off had we never arrived in the sense of market democracies.
Reply 34
Original post by Rakas21
You think the Ottoman Empire or the tribes were peaceful and prosperous?

My general point is that bar a few exceptions the Middle East is full of military dictatorships or failed, Sharia democracies (neither of which we should tolerate). In Africa there are a tonne of corrupt governments, many of whom jumped straight into bed with the Soviets after independence.

So no, I don't think they would be any better off had we never arrived in the sense of market democracies.

I can't speak for Ottoman Empire, but if we are talking about the tribes in Africa, yes most of them were peaceful and prosperous. Obviously the corrupt governments, governments existing in the 1st place, police brutality and rebel groups were a legacy of colonialism. And let's not forget that the that white majority countries aren't above corruption either, tyvm.

Original post by Truths
I can't speak for Ottoman Empire, but if we are talking about the tribes in Africa, yes most of them were peaceful and prosperous. Obviously the corrupt governments, governments existing in the 1st place, police brutality and rebel groups were a legacy of colonialism. And let's not forget that the that white majority countries aren't above corruption either, tyvm.

Tribes were often historically at war in a similar way to how European city states used to be. You can blame it on colonialism but these people were primitive when we arrived (largely shielded by the Sahara and the Seas) and did not then and do not now hold any values which lead me to believe they'd be on a par. Indeed its notable that the wealthy Asian countries of the future (Japan, China and India) were actually on a par with Europe already until the Industrial Revolution. Their rise to power now indicates that they've long had cultural values to predispose them to wealth, this is not so true in Africa which has never done anything of note due to geographical boundaries.
Reply 36
Original post by Rakas21
Tribes were often historically at war in a similar way to how European city states used to be. You can blame it on colonialism but these people were primitive when we arrived (largely shielded by the Sahara and the Seas) and did not then and do not now hold any values which lead me to believe they'd be on a par. Indeed its notable that the wealthy Asian countries of the future (Japan, China and India) were actually on a par with Europe already until the Industrial Revolution. Their rise to power now indicates that they've long had cultural values to predispose them to wealth, this is not so true in Africa which has never done anything of note due to geographical boundaries.

Africa was not on par in what regard? Technological advances? Wealth? That does not determine the value or competence of a society. It's such a common misconception that progress is 1 linear path. Africa had established cultures, systems, medicines and mores before colonisation and they were doing just fine. The criteria you have described as a remarkable civilisation is utterly materialistic. I hope you can see that.

Original post by Truths
Africa was not on par in what regard? Technological advances? Wealth? That does not determine the value or competence of a society. It's such a common misconception that progress is 1 linear path. Africa had established cultures, systems, medicines and mores before colonisation and they were doing just fine. The criteria you have described as a remarkable civilisation is utterly materialistic. I hope you can see that.

I do see you later point, buts that the point. Market economies for all their flaws have produced a standard of living that Africans can only dream of and are backed by the government to discourage things like corruption. I am in essence a cultural imperialist, I believe that Africans and Arabs should be forced to adopt our superior values.
Reply 38
Original post by Rakas21
I do see you later point, buts that the point. Market economies for all their flaws have produced a standard of living that Africans can only dream of and are backed by the government to discourage things like corruption. I am in essence a cultural imperialist, I believe that Africans and Arabs should be forced to adopt our superior values.

Thats disgusting and disgustingly ignorant. It is the negligence and exploitation of the British, Dutch, French (etc) empires which have left certain African and Asian countries ungovernable and in economic and political chaos. A lot of you in this thread need to educate yourselves on colonial history. And to suggest that our countries needed colonial rule and to be 'civilised' are the words of white supremacist pigs.
Reply 39
Original post by Rakas21

A higher standard of living? And at whose expense? The orphan sweatshop workers in china and the countless innocents killed during the invasions of aforementioned countries, in order to create and maintain such a standard of living? Or the environment for that matter. Having climate change as collateral for our "standard of living". And so many other flaws of our market driven society that I won't even touch on. Imo, putting money and material before the people is not a "superior value" at all. I concede that Africans may have been lagging behind in opulence and technology in relation to the west. But their standard of living was adequate enough for it's time, seeing as they were able to sustain. That's not to say that Africa wouldn't have developed over time without western intervention. They would have developed in addition to actually in living within the boundaries of nature, as they always did.

We do not thrive in harmony with nature, we rely heavily on non-renewable resources; and the earth, as well as the people are paying the price for that. That is NOT an exceptional example of what a society should look like, especially up against precolonial Africa, dare I say.

(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending