Turn on thread page Beta

as chem organic (easy qeustions) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etomac)
    what about alcohol? oxidise to carboxylic acid, dehydrate to alkane and halogenation to halogenoalkane?
    also esterification, intermolecular dehydration, mild oxidation to aldehyde or ketone(depending on the number of akyl groups attached), reaction with group I metals and Williamson's synthesis(formation of ether)

ReputationRep:
    My old teacher use to mark AS-Level scripts (edexcel) and she told us that frequently when questions asked you to classify the type of reaction occuring they were worth 2 marks with one mark being for classifying them as "heterolytic" or "homolytic" and that most canditates lost marks on these questions as they would usually occur more than once on a paper. So don't say I didn't warn you....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keisiuho)
    also esterification, intermolecular dehydration, mild oxidation to aldehyde or ketone(depending on the number of akyl groups attached), reaction with group I metals and Williamson's synthesis(formation of ether)
    esterification is A2 though along with the real details about aldehydes/ketons (of course u need to know tht you can form them from alcohols). never heard of Williamson's synthesis

ReputationRep:
    shouldn't maganate + alkene -> nucleophilie addtion since it reacts with H2O

ReputationRep:
    shouldn't maganate + alkene -> nucleophilie addtion since it reacts with H2O
    In the first step, manganate acts as an electrophile and it is added to an alkene. So the C=C double bond is broken and it is already an alkane.

In the second step, H2O is added. As it is already an alkane, it shouldnt be an addition reaction. I dunno the mechanism of this step and so i cant tell whether H2O acts as a nucleophile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    esterification is A2 though along with the real details about aldehydes/ketons (of course u need to know tht you can form them from alcohols). never heard of Williamson's synthesis
    Williamson's synthesis is actually one application of nucleophilic substitution of alkylhalide.
    Alcohol is allowed to react with Group I metals to form alkoxide ions (RO-).
    RO- is a nucleophile and it can attack the halogen group of alkylhalide.
    RO- + RCl -> ROR
    Therefore, ether is formed

ReputationRep:
    no is all courses.... but i m doing edexcel original

btw nucleophllic substitution happen in all those halogenoalkane reaction.. ya?

what about alcohol? oxidise to carboxylic acid, dehydrate to alkane and halogenation to halogenoalkane?
    dehydrate to an alkene isnt it?

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.