The Student Room Group

Probability distributions

Screen Shot 2014-12-31 at 16.26.14.png

I'm having trouble understanding the above question, I will break it down into parts:

1. I am ok with the first bit, just involves spotting the power series for e^lambda

2. This bit I am unsure about, are they asking me to combine the binomial and poisson distributions? I've never done this before and was hoping someone could shed some light on it for me.

3. For the last part I see that we have to sum the final answer given in part 2. from L=0 to infinity and factor out everything in k as this will be constant. Again I was wondering if someone could help me understand why this method is being used and what it aims to achieve? Also how are we supposed to know where to start with questions such as these, they are very abstract and having not done stats before I'm finding myself struggling a little about which direction to start off in the first place!

Thanks
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Are you sure this is 'Sixth Form' level?
Reply 3
Original post by Hody421
Are you sure this is 'Sixth Form' level?

Maths this term is a review of FP1-3 and S1-2 so I guessed that was the right tag *shrugs*, can you help me with it?
Reply 4
Original post by Davelittle
Maths this term is a review of FP1-3 and S1-2 so I guessed that was the right tag *shrugs*, can you help me with it?

http://www.stat.wisc.edu/~wardrop/courses/371chapter4.pdf

I can't really explain it.

Quick Reply

Latest