Report Thread starter 6 years ago
question says it all, assuming one is at a top 5

Posted from TSR Mobile
TVIO
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Economics, Maths, Comp Sci are the top 3. Physics/engineering up there as well. But if you're at a top 5 subject matters less, but the more mathematical it is the better. I've heard the best for IB are: Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, Warwick, LSE in no particular order.
Tom102
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TVIO)
Economics, Maths, Comp Sci are the top 3. Physics/engineering up there as well. But if you're at a top 5 subject matters less, but the more mathematical it is the better. I've heard the best for IB are: Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, Warwick, LSE in no particular order.
Truth right here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AidenLloydJepsen
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Don Joiner)
question says it all, assuming one is at a top 5

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ideally, any mathematical heavy degree will suffice. However, I will give a ranking system which will provide you with the best opportunities for aspiring IB's, like myself.

1) Economics. Not only is this degree highly mathematical (at a top 5), but it is centered around finance and business. Think of it like engineering - whereas engineering is applied mechanical mathematics, economics is applied statistical mathematics. Which means you'll be exposed around business and finance throughout your degree, ideal for someone who wants to go into business and finance!

2) Mathematics. Maths is a great vocation as you can do virtually anything with it. It's good for IB's as it reiterates high mathematical proficiency, however, not all of your studies will be particularly relevant, and the degree itself is arguably one of the most difficult.

3) Physics/ Chemistry. These degrees reiterate mathematical competency, as well as the ability to analyse, critique and assess data - which is useful in various aspects of banking. The degree is also very academically rigourous, and this rigour is very appealing to major banks.

4) Engineering sciences. These degrees do show a good level of proficiency in the mathematical discipline, but the maths is not necessarily related, however, a high level of mathematical competency is appreciable for anyone doing engineering. It also shows the ability to apply and interrogate data.

5) Accountancy, finance, business and management. These degrees, albeit more centered around banking, are less favoured upon due to their lessened mathematical reiteration and academic rigour. However, a degree in any of the aforementioned don't put you out of the question.

Then it would be any BSc, down to BA.

It's important to stress the importance of going to a top 5 uni! Banks seek people from these unis, and getting one of the aforesaid degrees from a top 5 university will put you in an awesome position.

(Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick and UCL)

Make sure you also get plenty of finance related work experience, banking if you're lucky enough. The best time to get this is at uni, though it wouldn't hurt to start looking prior.

GL
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (209)
57.26%
I don't have everything I need (156)
42.74%

Watched Threads