The Student Room Group

Jaw Re-alignment :(

Scroll to see replies

You're right, I think you just forgot to take into account the cost of braces.

Braces before the operation: £1500-£2000
Jaw re-alignment operation: around £3000
Braces after the operation: £1500-£2000

As things stand I should only be paying for the braces, the operation is done by a joint Orthodontic and Surgery consult, and I've just left the Orthodontic side of the NHS to go private. Its about 95% certain that I should be able to get the surgery done on the NHS in two years time but theres always an element of uncertainty with these things.
Reply 21
WOAH £7000! ugh if only my parents were rich :frown:

Does anyone with the over-bite jaw problem have a side-on pic?
spamking
WOAH £7000! ugh if only my parents were rich :frown:

Have it done on the NHS. It may take a couple of months longer but at least it will be free :biggrin:

I think there is a rule that NHS treatment is only free if the treatment begins before you are 19 years old (could be wrong). Either way it's worth looking into it sooner rather than later.
Reply 23
I have the same problem- overbite- and have been offered the operation. Personally, i've decided against it due to the risk of nerve damage... there's a chance you might lose feeling in your lips. My friend has the samer surgery last summer (17 years) and she's lost feeling in part of her upper lip. She saays it means that sometimes she doesn't know that she's dribbling when she drinks. Not fantastic. I guess it depends on how much it means to you aesthetically- or whether the risks outweigh it.
Reply 24
Rosi
I have the same problem- overbite- and have been offered the operation. Personally, i've decided against it due to the risk of nerve damage... there's a chance you might lose feeling in your lips. My friend has the samer surgery last summer (17 years) and she's lost feeling in part of her upper lip. She saays it means that sometimes she doesn't know that she's dribbling when she drinks. Not fantastic. I guess it depends on how much it means to you aesthetically- or whether the risks outweigh it.

thanks alot to everyone that has posted so far, im still totally undecided, the above post scares me alot, ive heard that quite a few times, and makes me think, "is it really worth the risk?"

What intrested me paticurly was what, "Louise88" said about her ortho mentioning the treatment, but she didnt get the treatment, just the braces.How bad was your overbite?

Please keep your thoughts coming please,

thanks
I have similar problem, though i was told that i could either have surgery then braces or just braces. If i had the surgery things would go A LOT quicker and that was it really - it was all down to the orthodontist wanting things done quickly! I refused to have it done and just had braces... I've had them since yr6 - i'm now 19 (btw you won't have them long as me, my orthodontist clinic is rubbish...won't go into all of that!) and I’m nearly finished!!!

And although i hate them, haven't really 'smiled' since i've had them and they do upset me at times... i am so happy i didn't have the surgery! Not that many people at Uni have them, but no one cares that you do, so that won't be an issue!

I still have the overbite problem, but my teeth are straight - and i don't care about the overbite! No one can tell and i've lived with it all my life so i know no different! I actually had an severe overbite (it has improved a lot, but still there) so if i did have the surgery would of actually changed my face shape!

Sorry i've just rambled on loads, but when you next see your orthodontist ask loads of questions - see if it is possible to achieve a similar with just braces, don't let them push you into having surgery. Also helps if you talk to them on your own and not with parents or whoever - they tend to agree with whatever the orthodontist says!!

If you do have surgery, don't worry about it. I know a few people who had it, all have lovely teeth now, which is the main goal in the end :smile:

-x-
My ortho told me that everybody gets rubber-lip syndrome after this op. But it is never permenant, the healing time just varies from person to person. Apparently it can take anything from 2 months to a year. But the way I look at it is a couple of years discomfort for a lifetime being more comfortable is worth it. You may of course look at this differently depending on how serious your over/unberbite is.
Reply 27
**** thaat... well it all depends on how serious the overbite is...but i mean seriously, I've got a slight overbite...and it's slightly annoying - but nowhere near enough to go through years of treatment to correct.. You could get all this done..and then some dude makes a hamburger out of your face in a fight - or you fall down the stairs and muck up your teeth...then you say to yourself...was it worth it?
Well my overbite is quite big and noticable so I have no qualms about going through with it.

It all depends on yourself. If you think you confident and happy with how you look, then don't let the orthodonist talk you into anything. Conversely if the way you look makes you unhappy then why not try and better yourself?
How comes you're at uni when you're 17?
Reply 30
hey.. im 16 and have an underbite im meeting with my surgeon in april and am planning to have my wisdom teeth out.

I want to know a few things from people who have had the surgery done or planning on.
The braces are they fitted on before or after the surgery?
ive heard it takes 2 years of braces but i heard a year of braces a year of a retainer?
Isit really honestly worth it my underbite i feel isnt the best but i know its not overly bad my friends didnt even know i needed the surgery.
Also how long roughly will my face be swollen for?
Would i need alot of time off to recover?
I'd really appreciate it if you could answer any of these questions ive been stressing out recently over it soo worried. xx
Reply 31
wow, i could have written the exact same thing as you, the only difference is im on a 4 year waiting list for treatment (as far as i know).
The surgery and braces will all be worth it in the end, it will hurt lol. tis the price you have to pay
Reply 32
My friend had surgery to correct her jaw before she came to uni. Her bottom jaw was further forward than her top jaw (can't remember if that's an overbite or an underbite...) The procedure was all done and everything in the summer holidays, and by the time I actually met her I would never have known. She was still wearing braces but that was for her teeth not her jaw. She said it was fine except she felt a bit miserable while she was in hospital cos she could only have liquids as her jaw was wired shut.

I used to have a bottom jaw that was far too far backwards, but I didn't have surgery for it. First I had braces to straighten my teeth, then I had a different kind of brace which fastened to the top of my mouth but had a sort of plastic trough thing sticking down that my botton teeth had to go in. This meant my bottom jaw was made to stay further forward than it naturally was, and after a few months it stayed like that permanently. It looked a bit like I was wearing a mouth guard like I was going to play rugby or something, and at times it was a bit uncomfortable having my jaw pulled forward like that (I got headaches at my temples sometimes) but I was glad I didn't have to have surgery, like I would have done if my jaw was too far forward instead.

I don't know if that wouldn't work for you because you're older than I was or your jaw is just too far back, but definitely have the surgery. When it comes to getting your teeth and jaws sorted, it makes an incredible difference in the way you look when they are.
Good luck :-)
Reply 33
I've had the exact operation you're talking about, and I do have some remaining slight nerve damage (have no feeling in my front lower gum or a section of my chin)...it really makes no difference to me, I don't even notice it. If it's gonna make you look better and/or more confident in the long run, go for it.
Reply 34
I had braces for 1.5 years and when i got them off my teeth moved forward slightly. I now have an overbite of about 2mm. Still better than before I got them. In fact the only reason I got braces was because of the alignment of my teeth, not because I was bothered by the overbite. Honestly as long as you can still eat its not a huge deal. Better than an underbite.
Reply 35
My front jaw is behind my bottom, so i'm considering surgery similar to what you described. I have my top braces on at the minute and have had them for over a year. I'm still on the waiting list to go and talk to someone about my jaw, but surgery has been offered to me as an option.
So, I can't offer any advice as I haven't been through it, but I know what you're feeling!
just think of the end results and that's all i can say really
I got malocusion 3 which means my bottom jaw stick out infront of my top. I have to have surgery on my top and bottom jaws. I'm 25 now, but I been on the NHS waiting list for 2 years, about a month ago they've only just managed to start the process of having to braces. I've had two top side teeth removed so far for the braces. Kinda scared of the outcomes of surgery really.
Reply 37
That's the exact surgery I'm meant to be having in the next few weeks, but my doctor's trying to fit in uni and I had a car accident last week and have whiplash so it might be delayed.

I've braces for about a year and a half and it has been painful, but my teeth are so much straighter giving me more confidence, I have to have the operation for the exact same reasons you do
Reply 38
I had a brace to correct that rather than an operation. It stretched the muscles in my jaw so that the bottom jaw would be brought forward. I was about 13 or 14 though so I was still growing, hence it was the easiest option...I don't know if you can do this once you have stopped growing, but it may be worth looking into.
does anybody know anything more about the complications of this surgery? i have a quite sever under bite and will need surgery next year, however i really don't know if i want it because of the risks involved. I've been told that there is a 40% chance that there will be permenant numbness on the bottom lip and possibly down my cheeks. has anybody else been told this or is it just my orthodontist trying to scare me?
I'm really wondering where it will be worth it, i mean can you imagine never being able to feel anything on your lips again?

Quick Reply

Latest